[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Ottoman Empire thread? Ottoman Empire thread. Its influence

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 133
Thread images: 10

File: image.jpg (95KB, 600x620px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
95KB, 600x620px
Ottoman Empire thread?
Ottoman Empire thread.

Its influence on the Balkans and the Middle East are very interesting to me and I would like to know more about them as a whole.
>>
>>54199
Alright, what do you want to know?
>>
>>54199
It's ironic that thw sultanate of rum, a mongol subordinate, actively fostered the ottomans and let themselves get fucked over instead of joining the Mongols
>>
>>54199
Was the Ottoman Empire destined to fail? Could they have dominated Europe?
>>
>>54242
Their impact on the world and especially why they took over 200 years to collapse after they started declining
>>
>>54320
>Arabs ruling over both turks, greeks and immigrating arabs at the exact same time
>non-muslims getting better education faster because they don't have to learn 3 languages and mysticism ontop of basic education
>despite ruling constantinople the demograph hardly changed with greeks running the shops and the Ottomans constantly have to make reforms to stop revolts
>later result to genociding the armenians
Doomed to fucking fail
>>
>>54320
If the Janissary corps wasnt given as much power in the administration of the empire probably. Their resistance to reform probably caused the empires first period of decline.
>>
Former colony here. We've always been backwards, but being under Ottoman rule for 500 years or so while Europe was flourishing in the Renaissance really fucked us over.

I'm not sure if that was the king of input you were looking for, but even though the Empire may be a good thing in the eyes of Turks today, they were like a Midas whose touched turn things into shit everywhere else.

>>54320
No empire is destined to fail. It's important to remember that it lasted a really long time. Their putting off of the inevitable modernization is what got to them.
>>
>>54496
What country are you from, btw?
Although I doubt Ottoman rule helped any one ethnic group it certainly brought stability to regions that are basically warzones even today.
>>
>>54638
Macedonia.

The region was better off under Bulgarian or Byzantine rule, even with the wars that came with it. The Ottomans weren't any better either, there were constant rebellions on the Balkans.
>>
>54744
A great deal of the Balkan rebellions were in the 1800s and early 1900s when ethnic nationalism was running rampant among everyone in the Empire. These were also during a time when people referred to the Ottomans as "the Sick Man" of Europe as a reflection of its decline. If you were an Albanian nationalist for example, would you attack when your enemy is weak or when they are strong wnough to expand upon what they own in Europe?
>>
>>54945
I think we (even though Macedonains didn't really exist at the time, l'm referring to Bulgarians on the territory of modern Macedonia) were just stupid, then. There were a bunch of bloody rebellions and revolts in the 1600-1700s as well, and they were as unsuccessful as those in the late 1800s. As weak as they were, we were weaker, but that didn't stop us from throwing lives away again and again.
>>
>>54316
>mongol subordinate
They were Turkics
>>
>>55059
People will probably always be willing to do stupid shit in the name of abstract ideas like a nation. It is a shame that your people wasted their lives in the eay that they did.
>>
>>54199
Fall of Constantinople, worst day of my life.
>>
File: EthiopianMadonna.jpg (62KB, 403x452px) Image search: [Google]
EthiopianMadonna.jpg
62KB, 403x452px
>>54199
>Sultanate of Rum
>>
>>54438
>don't have to learn 3 languages
Most of the dragomans (Ottoman interpreters) were ethnic Greeks, m80. The Ottomans were kinda backwards when it came to learning in general. And since when was Europe not polyglot?
>>
>>54638
It caused most of that instability to begin with though. Why do you think Albanians/Bosniaks were ever muslim at all?
>>
>>56652
Report submitted! This window will close in 3 seconds...
>>
>>56652
Please do not shit up this board.
>>
The Ottoman Empire was an unproductive uninventive shithole that left nothing but destruction and backwardness behind wherever it went and nobody misses or enjoys its influence in any domain of life. Even the Spaniards can appreciate the Umayyads.
>>
The ottoman empire SUCKED.

I may be biased, but they halted any progress we had. We had just freed ourselves from the Byzantine empire in the 1200s - we were fucking amazing back then.

But then, in the 1300s - the three sons of the previous king each decided to split the country, each taking a part for himself.

And then the ottomans came and just fucked our shit up.
>>
File: 1324178173258.png (431KB, 522x503px) Image search: [Google]
1324178173258.png
431KB, 522x503px
>>57297
>not wanting to be ruled by Rome
>>
File: Saint_Tribellius[1].jpg (497KB, 2304x3072px) Image search: [Google]
Saint_Tribellius[1].jpg
497KB, 2304x3072px
>helped save Constantinople and Europe from the arabs

Why couldn't the Balkan people and Constantinople put their differences behind and defend against the muslimes again?

Fuck.
>>
File: krum[1].png (427KB, 413x400px) Image search: [Google]
krum[1].png
427KB, 413x400px
>>57356
>rome
>>
>>57297
>But then, in the 1300s - the three sons of the previous king each decided to split the country, each taking a part for himself.
Ottomans split into 4 + mutliple beyliks in 1404 but they recovered and conquered the balkans, it's all an achievement.
>>
>>57521
I don't know anon. Europe as a whole was a savage shithole who can't cooperate when there is a common enemy. At least Islam united the Middle East.
>>
>>57574
We were already done in in the 1390s, though.

The fall of constantinople 30 years later made it even worse.
>>
>>57790
>>We were already done in in the 1390s, though.
could have easily fought and taken back the land as the ottoman army was destroyed and remaining forces were split into very small factions, it was by will that your people would have remained with the Ottomans after that.
>>
>>54199
>Called their kingdom "Rum"
>native to a place so far away
>were relatively shit to the local Armenians and Greeks
>made Serbian sound only distantly like a Slavic language
But muh Janissaries!

Am I the only one that dislikes the Ottomans? How do you justify hundreds of years of occupation by a people who were nomads only decades earlier? How do you justify dicking around with names (Anatolia to Turkey, Constantinople to Istanbul)? How do you justify the forceful conversion of the "people of the book"?
>>
>>57872
>How do you justify hundreds of years of occupation by a people who were nomads only decades earlier?
isn't this something that's just amazing?A bunch of horse nomads from a nobody clan became so powerful they ruled vast amounts of land that is now over 35 different countries. Also it looks like you're being very subjective here and are emotional about this topic. Also you got your history mixed up, the Seljuks called themselves the sultanate of Rum, the Ottomans considered themselves Roman once they conquered Constantinople.
>>
>>57872
>>made Serbian sound only distantly like a Slavic language
what did you mean by that?
>>
>>57872

>Butthurt greek detected
>>
>>57991
Report submitted! This window will close in 3 seconds...
>>
>>57984
They invaded Serbia and had a deep cultural influence on it, effectively changing its language (which is usually the most notable cultural influence). Without the Ottoman empire, you might have been able to learn Ukrainian as a catch all language that's mutually intelligible from northern Russia to Slovenia.

Instead, Slavic languages are quite diverse with Serbia having odd Turkic and Arabic loan words. Very, very messy.

>>57944
>>57991
The Greeks built Anatolia? The people who lived there for thous>>57872 (You)
>>made Serbian sound only distantly like a Slavic language
what did you mean by that?ands of years were a mix of Armenian and Greek people, with a few Thracians in the centre.

What fucking right do Turks have to claim that region?

>>58056
Please learn to 4chan culture.
>>
>>58056

Unlike the post you're all salty about, replying to a post stating that you've reported or "saged" actually it is against the rules Yannis.
>>
>>58074
>What fucking right do Turks have to claim that region?
right of conquest, they earned it through blood. lots and lots of blood on all sides. Before the Greeks and others conquered it it belonged to other Anatolian civilisations like the Hittites, no one else had any more "right" to conquer those lands. I don't see the problem with Turks conquering the lands, it's how anyone got lands.

>Please learn to 4chan culture.
Let's not have shitty shitposting. Also look at the rules it tells you not to do this shit.
>>
>>58074

What right does anyone have to claim any region? There is, always has been, only one right, and that is power and ability. The region is theirs because they were able to take it. Same way that the Americas now belong to Westerners because they were able to take them.
>>
>>54199
Why couldn't the Ottomans beat Russians?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_the_Russo-Turkish_wars
>>
>>58074
I don't think that only Turks are to blame here... Languages just evolve and very related ones often end up being quite different even without incorporating foreign vocabulary...

And Ukrainian isn't intelligible even to Poles and has lots of Turkic, Arabic and Persian words too (like the infamous "maidan" for example)

>>58132
I'm not Greek though and I didn't really report it :^)
>>
>>57529
>le_basil2_face.jpg
>>
>>57872
This. Anyone who considers the Ottoman Empire as something that is amazing is either a muslim or an ignorant westerner whose country was never occupied by Turks.
>>
Ottomans are not the Sultanate of Rum, Ottomans were hardly even Turkish. They were a principality given autonomy by the sultanate, most of their army came from arabs fleeing the Mongols, with the Ottomans expanding at the expense of the Greeks. They would later conquer the turks but they themselves were not turkish themselves.
>>
>>58214
>What right does anyone have to claim any region?
If they improve the land and create more life on it, either through livestock, agriculture or increased trade to increase human populations. If you build it, it is yours.

Tell me, what were Turkic people renowned for building? Their main economic input was raiding silk road traders.

>>58256
>Languages just evolve
They do not, at least not without outside influences. The Basque culture, which is notably impervious to outside influences, has remained relatively unchanged for thousands of years.

>>58256
>And Ukrainian isn't intelligible even to Poles and has lots of Turkic
Poles are crypto-Germanics with Slavic culture, I was more thinking the "Russian" cultures. Byelorussian, real Russian and Ukrainian all have some very interesting similarities, likely stemming from Ukrainian.

Serbian, Croatian, Bosnian and Slovenian? Not so much, but it wouldn't be like that if the Turks didn't invade.
>>
>>58256
>>I'm not Greek though and I didn't really report it :^)
dunno why he thought yoiu were greek considering you gave insurmountable evidence indicating your serbian heritage
>>
>>58409
i have never seen anyone vomit such inaccurate history in my life, this is a terrible post please delete it.
>>
>>58482
>The Basque culture, which is notably impervious to outside influences, has remained relatively unchanged for thousands of years.
isolation causes that, similar happened with Georgian for example
>>
>>58482
>They do not, at least not without outside influences
They do though just at a slower pace...

>The Basque culture, which is notably impervious to outside influences, has remained relatively unchanged for thousands of years
But Basque has lots of loanwords from the neighboring languages too

>Poles are crypto-Germanics with Slavic culture
Still Ukrainian has undergone a serious Polish influence and has many loanwords from it

>Byelorussian, real Russian and Ukrainian all have some very interesting similarities, likely stemming from Ukrainian
>stemming from Ukrainian
You meant stemming from Old East Slavic, right?

>>58554
I'm not Serbian either, you might be confusing me with another poster
>>
>>58627
Yes, and the only obvious and inarguable changes to language and culture usually come from DIRECT influence from another language or culture, whether as mundane as trade (which is my hypothesis on the similarity between Tocharian and Irish) to direct rulership, in which being ruled by someone for enough generations gives the impression from the subjugated of a form of "high class culture," which can cause people to emulate their oppressors.

My point stands, a culture in isolation has only extremely small changes in language and culture, especially if literacy is not part of their culture (since direct education becomes more important in those cultures).
>>
>>58682
>But Basque has lots of loanwords from the neighboring languages too
>Still Ukrainian has undergone a serious Polish influence and has many loanwords from it
Loan words are almost impossible to prevent.

If you, your people and your culture simply don't have X and someone offers you X, but call it Y, you literally have no other choice but to call it Y because you have no other word for it. This is the effect of trade on languages, again, it needs direct contact with another civilisation.

>You meant stemming from Old East Slavic, right?
Uh, yeah.

Basically the language that was spread every time one of the small, eastern European kingdoms bubble up and start creating empires. I was told (by a Ukrainian, no less) that Ukrainian is the closest modern equivalent to this language.
>>
>>54320
perhaps, wien was one of the major factors why ottomans never advanced into europe

if they had kept their technological superiority from 1400s and if the later sultans weren't so keked they could have invaded europe and made an islamic roman empire
>>
>>58778
>technological superiority from 1400
You know the bombards they used to take Constantinople were made by a "Dacian" guy from the Kingdom of Hungary, right? He actually went to the Basileius first but Constantine XI was too piss-poor to afford his high-class giant cannons so he sold them to the Turks instead. It was already well-established technology in Europe and he simply built on existing designs used by the Hungarians. The Ottomans were not really technologically superior. They were just really rich having conquered the Roman Empire and could afford the best shit from all over Europe and the Middle East.
>>
>>58890
imagine being this butthurt
>>
>>58742
Well yeah, but Basques aren't really that impervious, just because they retained their non-IE language doesn't mean they weren't affected culturally by other peoples

>I was told (by a Ukrainian, no less) that Ukrainian is the closest modern equivalent to this language.
Well of course he would want you to believe that
to be fair, prior to the division of East Slavic lands between Moscow and the Commonwealth that language had two major dialect zones, one (the Northern) being based in the Novgorod principality and the other one (the Southern) in the area from Niznhiy Novgorod to almost the Western borders modern day Ukraine.
Modern Russian is basically a mix of both dialects with Old Church Slavonic influence and some Turkic vocabulary while Ukrainian is the Southen dialect with Polish influence and some "Islamic" vcabulary

So the closeness of modern languages to that old language depends on the dialect you are comparing them with.
>>
>>58939
A lot of the descendants of people conquered by the Turks don't even know that they were ever more than recently-settled nomads. There's no excuse, but if I was a Greek or Serb or Armenian or whatever I'd be pretty butthurt too.
>>
What I'm more surprised than anything was the Ottomans attacking and conquering areas of Saudi Arabia, with one of the sultans claiming the Arabs to be heretics. Like kek, the Ottomans were one of the Islamic Caliphates.
>>
>>59117

There were a lot of Islamic caliphates. It was basically the Islamic equivalent of everyone calling themselves Emperor or some variation of Caesar out of an attempt to be Rome's successor.
>>
>>54199
They set out to be a multi-ethnic, multi-religious and multi-cultural empire. They were aiming to be an Islamic Eastern Rome but they failed in all 4 areas ultimately for various reasons, the most important two being their once lucrative trade business becoming irrelevant and corruption that comes with it.

Ottomans were hardly Turkish, they put religious communities before notions like ethnicity or even nation, this is also one of the reasons they failed ultimately, like Austria-Hungary, a multi-national empire wasn't feasible after French revolution. They were more like America, just found by a Turkish branch but ultimately became completely unrelated.

>>54316
Sultane of Rum, Seljuks, had nothing to do with Mongolians, they even fought them, Seljuks used to own most of the areas Mongols attacked.

>>54438
The genocide is much later, it is not a reason for their failure, it is more of a result.

Also it is way more than 3 languages, Ottomans hardly told people to learn a different language, so what happened was Greek kept speaking Greek, Serbians kept speaking Serbian, Armenians kept speaking Armenian, even Turks kept speaking Old Anatolian Turkish close to Seljuk language, On top of all of this they had to learn Ottoman Turkish as the lingua franca of the empire (ironically called the Language of Turks), Arabic for Islamic education and Persian for literature. A greek from Istanbul or any of the bigger cities had to learn 5 languages just to function.

>>56534
It was called Sultane of Rum because Anatolia was called Rum.

>>59117
Sauds were always crazy in how they wanted Islam, even Ottomans didn't want that sort of crazy religion. Also being the caliph meant influence and the control over Muslims, they didn't want to seperate the Imperial and religious authority. They didn't want to seperate authority so much, Janissaries were originally meant to be a counter-balance to Spahis, the landed Turkish soldiers that controlled tax and fiefs.
>>
>>57872
Istanbul was named so in the beginning of the 20th century. During Ottoman and early Turkish Republic rule, it was called Kostantiniye, which is, well, Constantinople in Ottoman.
>>
>>60566
actually it had many names
>>
>>60583
The official name was Kostantiniye.
>>
>>60603
Or the Payitaht, which is like 'Capital'. Or Dersaadet, which is like 'Gate of Happiness'.
>>
>>60603
there was no official name, that was the point of the postal service finally setting a name, they didn't want the city to be addressed by so many other names such as Asitane.
>>
I like the Ottomans because of how butthurt they make Eastern Europeans.
>>
File: literacy 1931.jpg (135KB, 500x460px) Image search: [Google]
literacy 1931.jpg
135KB, 500x460px
Daily reminder of the effects of the Ottomen administration even 70 years after the Berlin conference.
>>
>>60625
50 years, I'm an idiot...
>>
>>60621
t. turk
>>
>>54199
Why did the Ottoman empire collapse?
>>
>>60755
One anon stated that since the rest of Europe was caught by the age of discovery, the Ottomans began to decline.
>>
>>60755
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T-SUlb4rwls

this video explains it pretty well, it's something that rotted and collapsed from the inside from corruption really. also it's the fault of not modernising and colonising, the sultans didn't bother colonising they assumed it was unnecessary and they missed out on greatness.
>>
>>60877
nigga where the fuck were they supposed to colonise lol
>>
>>61345
The new world. The sultan didn't bother attempting to colonise the new world, big mistake.
>>
>>60755
They doomed themselves.
During the 1400s they had a complete monopoly over goods coming from asia and partly Africa, which could not be found anywhere else in the known world.
They wouldn't let european merchants go buy what they needed directly, but instead they would sell them for an insane price markup.

The fall started when Dias found another way to reach India via circumnavigation of Africa, but the killing blow was inflicted by the discovery of America.
Being stuck in the now useless mediterranean they began a slow death due to their economy gradually becoming worse and worse.

Had they not marked up the prices so much europeans might have never found the need to find another routes and they wouldn't have fallen.
>>
>>54320
It took them 229 years to conquer disunified and fractured Balkan civilisations,so no,they didn't have the potential to dominate Europe.
>>
>>58482
>Poles are crypto-Germanics with Slavic culture
So being influenced by a regionally neutral thing like Western culture makes you "Germanic" even though you're genetically the most Slavic country in Europe?Are you trying to saying that Western culture,which is a direct ascendant of the late Roman Empire is a Germanic construct?
>>
>>61512
That's because the Turks never plowed through the balkans, they expanded on every side frequently, they also had a specific time to fight, attempting to limit it to just the summers and always assembling at Constantinople to start marching to other places, this was of course a huge flaw which made it very hard to go as far as Vienna in time.
>>
>>61564
Yes,and they couldn't plow through the Balkans because there where countries that have resisted them from the very beginning.The Balkan countries weren't a joke,especially for the Ottomans and the Byzantines before them.
>>
>>60610
"Payitaht" and "dersaadet" aren't the names of the city, they refer to more specific things
>>
>>61609
I think it's something successful Turks did, they took land but bit by bit instead of at once, think about great leaders who have done that like alexander the great etc, the empire just collapses into pieces after such a thing like every time.
>>
>>54496
>>54638

A lot of instability on the Balkans was because of the Ottomans.

It is because of Ottomans that Serbs migrated northwards into Vojvodina, which set the seed for WW1, and left big parts of Kosovo empty, which was then inhabited by Albanian muslims who served as auxiliaries in Ottoman armies, and this set the seed for Kosovo war and other shitfest that happens today. Similarly, modern Bosniak identity is based on their religion, Islam, which was brought by Ottomans. In fact, before WW2, most people referred to the Bosniaks as "Turks", despite them being Slavs who didn't know a word of Turkish.

Also, Balkan poverty is in large part due to the empire. We missed Renaissance and Enlightenment, so in 19th century we had a society of 15th century. Seriously, mid 19th century we still had guilds! Not to mention that being ruled by foreign power for so long created a certain anti-authority attitude in the people, which made passing of any reforms an uphill battle.
>>
New Ottoman Empire imbound?

Sultan Erdogan Feith I
>>
>>62843
could you really make an empire this day and age?
>>
>>63416
ofc not
>>
File: 5849_radionica_lightbox.jpg (70KB, 800x571px) Image search: [Google]
5849_radionica_lightbox.jpg
70KB, 800x571px
Fuck the Ottoman empire, also fuck the French for allying with them.
>>
>>63476
The Ottomans helped the French a lot
>>
>>63476

Which Southeastern European country are you from btw?
>>
>>63514
Antemurale Christianitatis m9

Also I'm not serious.
>>
>>63416
They just wouldn't call it an empire, it would probably be the Turkish Federation, where it is a union of republics (just ballparking here, but let's say Erdogan starts with invading Syria, then if Morsi didn't get ousted, probably forming a union with Egypt)

His role as """""Sultan""""" would still be called President, and it would be more of a ceremonial title "like the Queen" (Erdogan's own words). The federation would still have a PM, who is actually in charge of the government, and each republic would also have their own PM.
>>
oh wow

what is it about this particular empire that generate such butthurt after hundred years they ceased to exist?
>>
>>63721
I don't understand either, we can praise and enjoy the ruthlessness of ancient empiresl ike roman but when it comes to ottoman it's a horrible one
>>
>>60877
>linking to caspian report
opinion discarded
>>
>>63939
what's wrong with it? It's a good explanation of it and it's actually accurate it's just a good one for a video anyway
>>
>>63853
It was succesful in europe and it was muslim this combination causes people to erupt basically besides till like 1700 the common people had it pretty good under the ottomans and even when they were invading the byzantines the greeks preferred ottoman rule because of less taxes that is also how asia minor became turkified so quickly.
>>
>>63953
what is it about the combination that bothers people?
>>
>>63962
I think that because the ottomans were muslims ,people think that they were an ISIS like state and getting conquered by people who were savages in their eyes hurts their pride.
>>
>>64007
but it was such a long time ago too why do people still get hurt pride?
>>
>>64023
Well I don't know that maybe its also because they only remember the bad parts when the painful decline started.
>>
>>64023
mostly the balkans though, that whole region is famous for their anal pain
>>
>>64052
I don't know much about ottoman history but im guessing its the way revolts were quelled?
>>
>>64064
Well its not like other powers did it differently desu
>>
>>64079
So the only special difference is the fact that the rulers were muslim?
>>
>>62411
Croatian here, can vouch for everything.
>>
>>64088
I guess so ,maybe someone from the balkan could say more about it but during their rise and golden age the balkan peoples were treated pretty well most government officials were from there so they could integrate into society while greeks,armenians and jews controlled most of the empire's trade.
>>
>>64183
could you make a thread about it? I'm curious as to what people would say
>>
>>64192
Sure
>>
>>64220
don't forget to link it here
>>
>>64225
Here you go >>64296
>>
>>64303
thank you
>>
File: post IS middle east.png (4MB, 1476x1743px) Image search: [Google]
post IS middle east.png
4MB, 1476x1743px
I don't think the Saudis would be chill with that, nor Israel, Iran or a good part of the actual Egyptian populace. Syrian populace might agree somewhat just to get out of that hellhole of civil war now.
Does this board have spoilers? Let's find out

[spoiler]Tfw no dismantlement of Turkey/Syria/Iraq into Constantinople Free State, Kurdistan, Sunnistan and Shiastan post-IS,along with Greater Armenia. After 5-10 years, Shiastan gets a referendum whether they want to be annexed into Iran[/spoiler]
>>
>>64552
Meant as reply to >>63625

And tfw no spoilers. Come on, what if I don't know all of history!
>>
>>63853
because ottoman empire lasted for a very long time up until the 20th century and hence there is recent memory. people are also butthurt about the british empire for the same reason (although it didn't last a fraction of ottoman empire's time)
>>
>>64659
>recent memory.
no one who lived it is still alive and all the children of the people who did live it are most likely dead too but this website has young people who passionately hate the Ottomans.
>>
File: 17mnv9ayuof00jpg.jpg (72KB, 396x492px) Image search: [Google]
17mnv9ayuof00jpg.jpg
72KB, 396x492px
>>54370
Their impact on the world?

None. The Ottoman Empire was a regional power in a relatively backward area. Western Europe was the booming region where everything happened during the Ottoman Empire.
>>
>>64689
bernard lewis or some other historian said that due to armenians' diaspora influence in the west, particularly France, (and their knowledge of languages), it was much easier to create anti-ottoman literature and spread it. Turks don't really have diasporas, and we don't know any turks who can speak english (except for Dr. Oz) so their perspectives are not even taken into account when discussing Ottoman history.

It's a shame. That's why Bernard Lewis learned arabic/turkish/persian. Otherwise, you won't understand anything about the region.
>>
>>64779
How much have they created?
>>
>>64860
Here's the most infamous one but i'm sure there's more.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Memoirs_of_Naim_Bey

Unfortunately, many non-historians don't know that a lot of the history we know about the ottoman empire (particularly its later periods) is done not out of interest or a desire for knowledge, but out of enmity or of feelings of revenge and rewriting history.
>>
>>64929
wait what wtf? the stuff this guy writes is taken as actual fact and is used against the turks today?
>>
>>64961
of course. even phrases like "nobody remembers armenians", linking the armenian genocide to holocaust, are actually made up with very dodgy sources.

but that's hitler, and everyone takes that seriously. but think about how it's much easier to falsify about some guy named Talaat Pasha
>>
>>65006
that is shocking and horrible! Also can you tell me about Taner Akcam? It seems that every armenian genocide related thing mentions him and uses him as complete proof of what happened
>>
>>59720
>It was called Sultane of Rum because Anatolia was called Rum.
I'm pretty sure Rum means Rome in the Seljuk tongue
>>
>>65065
>Taner Akcam

he isn't an authority on the subject as his writing is often politically motivated. and i don't mean that he alone is like that. many historians in the area on both the turkish and armenian sides are only parroting instead of investigating.

The best source on the subject is Bernard Lewis. He isn't a turk or an armenian so that makes him more reliable than 90% of historians on the subject.
>>
>>57529
>mfw the artist was too retarded to realize that a skull cup like that would have the liquid pouring out of the eyes and nose
>>
>>58191

Well, since the establishment of Israel shows that historical irredentism is still valid, Greece rightfully owns Constantinople and the Anatolian coast, similar to how Germany owns Prussia/Silesia, and Russia owns Ukraine/Belarus.
>>
File: 1420835529141.jpg (144KB, 800x600px) Image search: [Google]
1420835529141.jpg
144KB, 800x600px
>>54199
>>
>>64183
Turks themselves a people were/are very nice but the governors and the government itself were oppressive and corrupt, except for a few exceptions
>>
>>63721
South slavs brainwashed themselves into thinking they're le saviors of europe against turks, it's the only idea they can be proud of
>>
>>54320
>>60755
A number of reasons, both internal and external created the decline and eventual collapse of the Ottoman Empire. Among them:
>Jizye religious tax and sumptuary laws creating second-class citizens out of Ottoman Christians and Jews
>Janissaries and Sipahi corps stagnating into a hereditary aristocracy
>Great Powers intervening in Empire affairs and invading North Africa; concessions to Europe
>Losing three consecutive wars with Russia, granting them a treaty to intervene in Balkan affairs as the "protector of Orthodox Christendom"
>Failure to manage nationalist and irredentist movements in the Balkans
>>
>>65506
they're ridiculous, they get conquered but they talk about how they delayed the empire for a few years when they really didn't do anything
>>
>>65167
>He isn't a turk or an armenian so that makes him more reliable than 90% of historians on the subject.
Except for Bernard Lewis is also a Jew. Who comments on the accuracy of genocide. Top kek as they say.
>>
>>63721
Probably because every other empire that does heinous shit gets vilified, but the Ottomans get a free pass because they're shitskins.
>>
>>67846
in what way don't the ottomans get vilified? People go ape shit about the Ottomans especially in the balkans.
>>
>>62843
FUCK NO
U
C
K

N
O
>>
>>64779
>Turks don't really have diasporas,
Germany says otherwise.
Thread posts: 133
Thread images: 10

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.