[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Any students of Greek around here?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 36
Thread images: 5

Any students of Greek around here?
>>
>>54064
I'm a native speaker.
>>
>>54213
That's cool. I've been wondering, how different is attic to you?
>>
File: 1441924835365.png (56KB, 1450x967px) Image search: [Google]
1441924835365.png
56KB, 1450x967px
New Greek
>>
>>54064
Donnt you lads have /lgbt/ as your board?
>>
>>54257
All modern Greek dialects descend from Attic, so they're similar. One can read koine Greek in a similar manner to an English Speaker reading Shakespeare.

Tsaskonian is an exception, as it descends from Doric.
>>
>>54318
You retarded or something?
>>
>>54335
I see. So it's not much of an issue for you if you start reading Plato or something if you're not an idiot?
>>
File: 1440896396724.png (244KB, 456x434px) Image search: [Google]
1440896396724.png
244KB, 456x434px
>>54064

Anyone have some good youtube videos to start off with?
I've watched all of HistoryDen™'s videos about the Greeks as well as his Roman series.
>>
>>54257
I'm not an expert, I only have highschool knowledge of ancient Greek (which is a good overview). Well it's the same language. This is isn't some kind of nationalistic fervour; Greek never stopped being spoken. It just evolved over some 2 millenia. So yeah it has changed in some regards, but the core (vocabulary) remains largely the same.
>>
>>54459
Plato is more ancient, but more or less. It's similar to an English person reading Chaucer.
>>
>>54064

Interesting image, OP.

It appears to confirm my suspicions that the ancient Greeks were Black Africans.
>>
>>54423
No. You only fuck retards? That is creepy. Dont you guys have /mlp/ too?
>>
>>54476
The book in the OP is decent but it's more geared towards studying certain texts. No videos of ancient Greek that I know of
>>
>>54533
I see. That's quite understandable considering the age of the language.
>>
>>54257
It's quite different, but not alien (of course I am talking about the written form). You can understand what the text says most of the time by knowig only a few basic key stuff.
Hellenistic Greek on the other hand (New Testament Greek for example) is like just a dialect of Modern.
And Homeric Greek is pretty hard to understand.
>>
>>54992
Homeric sentences seem simpler so far as I've been seeing, yet they're so much more difficult to understand their meaning. I could be wrong though, I've only been doing this for a couple of months and I'm not so good with grammar
>>
>>55150
>Homeric sentences seem simpler
The difference is that Modern Greek isn't related to Homeric Greek at all, except by the admiration which the speakers had for it.

Homeric Greek is more similar to defunct dialects which died out long ago.
>>
>>55150
Yes it's mainly cause it is a poetic form of language. It wasn't ever spoken.
>>
>>54064

They are too busy paying denbts
>>
khkjhj
>>
>>55325
>>55339
How interesting. Do you get to learn any Homer in school?
>>
>>55396
The ones that already know Greek are the ones busy paying.
>>
>>55413
Unbanned!?! Hiroshima be praised!

Anywho, I'm a Classics major who studied ancient Greek and Latin at university for 3 years, graduated this past spring, Greek is great fun. Not as complex as people think at all.

>>55150
It's in verse so the sentences aren't that long. You want some long, periodic sentences you read history or something. Platonic dialogues vacillate between short conversational bits and long exposition.

I found learning Latin at the same time as Greek a real benefit. As they're both old Indo-European languages they have a lot in common, and Latin is easier at first because you already know so much vocabulary.
>>
>>55555
wow nice digits
>>
>>55431
At the first and second years of highschool there are Iliad and Odyssey classes. But I don't remember in how much depth we studied the prototype.
>>
>>55431
When I was in school the book we used had occasional passages from Homer. In third year, advanced course (reading course) we read selections from the Iliad. Probably got through about 40% of it, skipping through shit like the catalogue of ships, etc. Some books we'd read in their entirety, others just segments. Same with Latin - one semester poetry, and the other was prose. First and second years just textbook stuff.
>>
File: 2Bach.jpg (28KB, 450x552px) Image search: [Google]
2Bach.jpg
28KB, 450x552px
>>55555
all hail the quint quints
>>
>>55555
>55555
Nice. Congratulations.

I'm doing the Classics as well but in the states. First year. I'm enjoying Greek but we don't get Latin and the kids who already studied Latin have a clear advantage which is bullshit and it pisses me off because this college used to teach Latin along with the Greek, but now they do two years of French instead for some fucking reason.
>>
>>55665
Probably the best get I'll ever get.

Also, for any non-weebs not in the know, you can go to control panel>language settings to set your keyboard to type Greek. Just press alt+shift to switch between keyboards.

βάkα βάkα!
>>
>>55555
>>55556
f-fuckin spooks!
>>
>>55759
Ι kνοω. Τηανkσ τηο
>>
>>55678
Read up on the history of Greek/Indo-European for interesting stuff/good mnemonics for weird declensions. PIE had 8 cases (nominative, genitive, dative, accusative, ablative, vocative, locative, instrumental); in Latin the locative/instrumental were absorbed by the ablative, and in Greek the locative/instrumental went with the dative, and the ablative went with the genitive. That's why in Greek you get genitive of separation, of comparison, genitive absolute, etc., whereas in Latin you get ablative absolute. And why Greek has dative of means, etc.
>>
>>55878
Well shit.
>>
File: Five get.png (99KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
Five get.png
99KB, 500x500px
>>55555
>>55565
>>55665
That's a 5/5
>>
>>56022
You also make cool connections. Like how an epenthetic beta would be inserted between a bilabial nasal and a trill to ease pronunciation, but disappeared word-initially, obscuring some words' relations e.g. the stem "mrot" (death, like Latin mortis) ended up as "mbrot", so "brotos" meant "mortal", whereas "a-mbrosia" (the a- meant "un-") was literally "immortality, deathlessness", where we get Ambrosia, food of the gods.
Thread posts: 36
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.