[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How could such a large population of people be enslaved

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 1

File: 20131221_JWP001_0.jpg (99KB, 595x335px) Image search: [Google]
20131221_JWP001_0.jpg
99KB, 595x335px
How could such a large population of people be enslaved by such a small group?
>>
It wasn't the slave traders that initially enslaved the African slaves, it was other African tribes that enslaved them through conquest.
>>
I don't think Africa even had that large of a population during those times. Go away /pol/
>>
guns, intellegence
>>
>>48882
but my american studies tutor said that the evil whitey enslaved the proud space age negro man. das racist to me
>>
>>48882
This.

Africa had had an internal slave trade since forever. Slaves were a trade good that Africans used to get access to manufactured European goods.

Didn't you ever learn about the triangle trade in school, OP?
>>
If only they were kings and queens
>>
>>48818
>How could such a large population

africa was pretty underpopulated considering the size of the continent.

>>48882
>African tribes that enslaved them through conquest.
>tribes
>>
>>49143
>tribes
Yes anon, clan and tribal warfare produced just as many if not more bodies for the slave trade as the battles fought by larger kingdom like Dahomey and shit.
>>
>>49121
>>49139
Fuck off /pol /
>>
>>49095
nice ad hominem
>>
>claim to be superior to whites
>get conquered by a small band of those you claim to be inferior
>>
The continent was divided as fuck so it doesn't matter that they were a big population.
>>
>>49139
They wuz
>>
>>49494
>>>/pol/
>>
White slave traders didn't actually go out and kidnap the Africans, they bought them at African slave markets, hauled them across the ocean and sold them at American slave markets with a profit margin.
>>
>>49548
No desu
>>
>>49575
So it began as black on black crime?
>>
>>48818

Captives as a result of tribal warfare. The Sephardics bought them on coastal markets, but the catchers were tribes that the slaves were at war with.
>>
>>48882
So we outsourced our enslavement? Thanks capitalism!
>>
>discussion revolves more around sensitive pussies telling "pol" to go away rather than enduring the bantz and forging ahead with the discussion

Tumblrites confirmed. I hear people get banned for disagreeing over there.

To get back on thread, slave traders "allied" with certain groups to subjugate others, much how the Spanish allied with lesser Native American tribes to overthrow the Aztecs.
>>
>>50718
But your bantz is hurt muh feelz
>>
>>49095

>slavery isn't history
>>
Arabs were more advanced than the various African kingdoms and would send slave raids to take slaves that weren't really capable of defending themselves.
Later Europeans would trade resources to some tribes that would use those resources to go and capture slaves to trade for more gold/resources (get guns, go inland to get people more primitive than you, trade them for more guns, go farther inland).
>>
>>50757
Explains why there's no women on /sp/
>>
>>49121
Fuck off /pol/ we're talking about facts.
>>
Friendly reminder to report all /pol/ shitposters. Let's keep our board clean.
>>
As has been stated prior in this thread, its all a bit more complicated than that...

But I'll bite. I've always been partial to guns germs and steel, I don't think its 100% gospel truth for everything, but I rather like the guidelines it uses. The shape of a large portion of central and southern africa is vertical. The advantage of a horizontal landmass is that you and your neighbors live in more or less the same climate. So its easy to trade, to move, to make war and conquer. This promotes technological and societal advancements that travel at a much quicker rate than, say a continent that is largely Vertical. You have neighbors, certainly, but yo have less, and so you advance at a slower rate. This is a very, VERY basic assessment and piece of the larger theory, and it precludes a lot of outliers, but I think that's basically it.
>>
>>50817
Thanks
>>
they were confined to the continent because they only had shitty canoes. the continent had a population density to begin with. it was more of a steady trickle over time rather than one big shipment of slaves. not horribly complicated bruh
>>
>>49124
Not to mention West Africans maintained the barbary slave trade of whites, which outpaced the transatlantic slave trade for the first century they co-existed.

Africans held slaves, arabs held slaves, white held slaves... In the context of the transatlantic slave trade, as others have mentioned, it was largely done through legal transactions with the current african empires/tribes
>>
>>50602
Yes. But the fact you're viewing through the prism of identity politics means you've taken the tumblrite bait despite disagreeing with their message.
Thread posts: 32
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.