[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Let's talk about the Holy Roman Empire >holy >roman

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 3

File: holy-roman-empire-1250-map-1.jpg (2MB, 1561x1972px) Image search: [Google]
holy-roman-empire-1250-map-1.jpg
2MB, 1561x1972px
Let's talk about the Holy Roman Empire
>holy
>roman
>empire
Yeah it wasn't the best, but it was interesting.

Which were the best and worst princes of the HRE?
>>
Could you recommend any good history books on the Holy Roman Empire?
>>
Why did Barbarossa drown?

Was it a conspiracy or was the man too dumb to swim?

>>3734
I would like to know this too, I have next to no knowledge of the Holy Roman Empire
>>
I think we should talk about the 30 Years' War

>HURR LET'S START ONE OF THE BIGGEST WARS IN HISTORY BECAUSE I DON'T LIKE INDULGENCES
>>
>>4105
It started under a religious pretense, it was more about land and resources (which equalled power) though
>>
>>3900
>Why did X drown?
In the past, nobody could swim. We hadn't fully evolved from niggers yet.
>>
>>4343
/pol/ please go

It just seems rather stupid to take a bath and drown at such a pivotal moment

[spoiler]Does this board have spoilers?[/spoiler]
>>
>>3734
Joachim Whaley's Germany and the Holy Roman Empire (2 volumes) for 1493 onward.
>>
How was trade in the empire, especially in the rhine region?
Ypu see small states like Frankfurt and the archbishopric Cologne prosper and apparently there were city leagues but I don't know much about it
>>
>>5405
>>5405
It was ok, but it definitely got fucked up by Genoa leaving the Empire
>>
>>5577
Interesting, but I'm mostly interested in the mechanisms of internal trade in the empire, what state produced what, what was imported etc.
Do you know anything about it or some material I can read up on?
>>
File: HRR_1400.png (4MB, 3715x3966px) Image search: [Google]
HRR_1400.png
4MB, 3715x3966px
What was the extent of the Emperor's powers? Why did Frederick I have to do so much ass kissing in order to be allowed to crown himself as a king?
>>
>>6144
Because it was basically a bunch of independent states
The emperor had more responsibilities than power
>>
>>6144
He didn't crown himself, that was still the pope's duty. And why he had to do so much ass-kissing is very simple: the Empire was an elective monarchy, and each of the Kurfürsten (princes with voting rights) tried to extort as much money and concessions out of the Emperor as possible.
>>
>>4415
I'm serious. Swimming techniques weren't developed until the 19th century, so most people couldn't swim decently. He probably just slipped, panicked and drowned.
>>
>>5405
The Hanseatic League is a good place to start if you want to read a bit about it. It completely dominated Baltic trade for quite some time.
>>
>>6306
That statement still holds true for some areas of the world btw.
>>
File: Frederick_I_of_Prussia.jpg (60KB, 445x599px) Image search: [Google]
Frederick_I_of_Prussia.jpg
60KB, 445x599px
>>6258
No I talking about this dude. IIRC he spent years campaigning with the Haspurgers because he wanted to be a king but they didn't until Leopold I finally relented because the Spanish war of succession was coming up and he wanted some regiments.
What I'm asking is if the states were so independent and the electors theoretically important, why weren't they allowed to decide on their own to become a kingdom?
>>
All you had to do was to back Burgundy against france
>>
>>6493
Because you could call yourself a king all you wanted, but if a higher power (emperor, pope) didn't recognize you as such you just looked like a loser.
>>
Why was bohemia the only king in the empire again?(until prussia but even then it was a kingdom outside the empire)
>>
>>6493
You could just sit back and enjoy the emperor's protection instead of let's say, having the Duke of Luxemburg declare independence only to realize that France is right there on the border. Not to mention they probably swore oaths of fealty in return and surely there was some form of mutual understanding between all the nobles in Europe - if every fuck with a sizeable army ran around and declared himself king (like what happened after the fall of the WRE) everything would be chaos.
>>
>>6764
I dunno but fuck Bohemia
Bohemia was almost as shit as Austria
Thread posts: 23
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.