[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why have so relatively many writing systems that are written

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 2

Why have so relatively many writing systems that are written from the right to the left (which is awkward for a large part of the world population) been created and survived into modern use, while seemingly no bi-directional ones have survived, which while equally awkward for both right-handed and left-handed people to write, can be read faster?
>>
I read somewhere that right-to-left is more convenient for right-handed chisellers to use chisels on stone; whereas left-to-right is more convenient for right-handed ink-users not to smudge the ink.

And this was (possibly) why Greek/Sanskrit went from right-to-left, or even boustrophedon, to left-to-right.
>>
>>3393569
But why is Arabic written from right to left? That script can't possibly have ever been chiseled.
>>
File: cq5dam.web.1280.1280.jpg (496KB, 1280x960px) Image search: [Google]
cq5dam.web.1280.1280.jpg
496KB, 1280x960px
>>3393682
Inscribed Arabic is very rare, as that part of the world used Nabatean before the Arabic letters came about. And that's much easier to engrave.

I guess they never thought to reverse the writing direction after moving to ink.
>>
>>3393332
Right to left like abjad alphabets was probably more common place. I imagine that bi-directional writing would be a pain in the ass. I think in Arabic numerals are written left to write.
>>
>>3393781
*lol right
>>
>>3393781
They are. Maybe that's because they got them from the Sanskrit-using (left-to-right) Indians? Possibly.
Thread posts: 7
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.