>Philip the 2nd offered the equivalent of 6.5 million dollars for his head
>second only to Black Sam in the wealth hierarchy of pirate kings
>burned the spanish armada
>raided new world colonies and feared the length of the spanish coast
>probably fucked elizabeth
Pic related. Utterly epic, got to the Pacific *AND* Arctic overland long before Lewis and Clark ever thought of the idea.
Ok I'll be honest I know more about more recent history of exploration. Here's my list. In no particular order. Favorite doesn't mean "I think he was the best professional."
1. Dr. David Livingstone (1813-1873) -
2. Sir Richard Francis Burton (1821-1890)
3. Fridtjof Nansen (1861-1930)
4. Sir John Franklin (1786-1847)
5. Sir James Clark Ross (1800-1862)
1. Robert Falcon Scott (1868-1912)
2. Roald Amundsen (1872-1928)
3. George Mallory (1886-1924)
4. Sir Edmund Hillary (1919-2008)
5. Sir Ernest Shackleton (1874-1922)
Plus lots and lots of badasses like Tom Crean who deserve recognition but I tried to stick to the leaders. Not a Brit but I like their tradition of great explorers. Naturally the best climbers were Reinhold Messner and Jerzy Kukuczka.
"Mad" Mike Hoare
>led a commando batallion during the Simba Rebellion
>helped rescue hostages from Stanleyville
>spent 3+ years sailing around the world with his family
>lead a coup attempt in the Seychelles
>jailed for hijacking a jet to get away from the failed coup
>started taking applications for his next mercenary group while he was still in prison, got thousands of applications
>was a chartered accountant
Despite being the biggest dick of the Conquistadors, Pizzaro makes up for it by being a fucking beast.