[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Hipster History

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 6

File: 2807530029_6056dd5d86_b.jpg (548KB, 1024x685px) Image search: [Google]
2807530029_6056dd5d86_b.jpg
548KB, 1024x685px
A lot of discussion of history is focused on a few particular nations such as Italy, Greece, Egypt, China, etc.

What are some countries and regions with lesser known but still fascinating and entertaining histories that deserve more recognition? I hear Central Asian/Turkic countries have some amazing history, are there any works on these areas anyone would care to recommend?
>>
File: image.jpg (38KB, 495x498px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
38KB, 495x498px
>>
Portuguese history is under emphasized IMO, they have a very interesting history.

I liked reading about the rise of the Arabs and before that as well, with the Lakhmids and Ghassanids.
>>
You should know, it's not about where, it's about who and when.

If you want to be a hipster, find some obscure faggots from a place irrelevant for its period, and you're done.
>>
>>31879
Why the fuck are you making so many threads about turkic people?
>>
>>31879
Central Asian history is great at times.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Talas

>Sogdians
>Tocharians
>Silk Road
>Samarkand
>Ferghana
>Greek kingdom of Baktria
>>
Books are for tryhards. Hipsters would rather just watch a video. Also, hipsters prefer anthropology. History is too nerdy. Therefore, an anthropology documentary:
https://youtu.be/CrmXg1dFYh4
>>
>>31879
>What are some countries and regions with lesser known but still fascinating and entertaining histories that deserve more recognition?

Pre-Colonial Southeast Asia desu.
>Cambodia: the Jungle Empire.
>Burma: Asian Spartans
>Thailand: or "how I managed to steal land from Cambodia and used foreign contacts to fend off Burmese Invasions."
>Vietnam: the Little China that Could. Or "Fuck your Hindu-Islamism, I'm doing Sinic."
>Indonesian Maritime Empires: From Curry to Kebab
>Brunei back when it held more land and owned Borneo.
>Philippines and their Asian-Viking lifestyles of piracy & Raiding. Also Asian Tortuga as they were budds with Chinese & Japanese pirates.
>>
File: angkor wat.jpg (257KB, 1143x500px) Image search: [Google]
angkor wat.jpg
257KB, 1143x500px
>>31879
I'm studying South East Asia right now. Very underrated.
>>
>>31879
Decolonisation and post-colonial Dem Rep Congo
>>
>>31953

Speaking of Portuguese..
How comes Spain never achieved (except once if I remember correctly) to conquer Portugal ?
>>
South Asia (Tibet, Bhutan, Nepal, etc.) is super fucking interesting. But most people just know it for DUDE GHURKAS LMAO.

Even today, Bhutan is a fascinating country. While most places have happily given up their traditions for materialistic advancement, Bhutan still looks and acts like an ancient Buddhist society (of course, there is the odd car and other modern thing about for the sake of convenience).

Fun fact: Marijuana is literally more common than grass in Bhutan, but nobody smokes it. They feed it to their pigs instead.
>>
>>35026
Portuguese alliance with England, and also Spain and Portugal were bros.
>>
>>31879

There's lots of interesting central asian history. The problem is there's not a lot in english. Even when it is in english it tends to lean towards how they effected Chinese/Russian history.

Qara Khitais are an interesting one. They were sinicized Mongol group ruling over Islamic turks.

Unfortunately theres only a single english book on them (that i havent read yet)
>>
>>35146
Bhutan is super cool. They're a carbon sink, their culture is very interesting, and their ruler is called the fucking Dragon King.
>>
>>35146

The issue with South Asian history is that it's a very hard field to get into.

The majority of texts on the subject are not available in any Western language. For example, good luck finding a good textbook on Bhutanese history.

And if you want to learn the language to read them, guess what? There are almost zero online resources for learning them. Dzongkha is insanely hard to learn as a second language, and there are almost no good resources for it. Even the official Dzongkha website is pretty poorly constructed.
>>
>>35307
This

The Wikipedia pages for some of the kingdoms in the region basically are 2 sentences mentioning a war with Russia.
>>
Indian history is the ultimate hipster history. havent seen a single thread or post about it yet.
>>
I only study the history of dead countries that existed for less than a decade.
>>
>>38489
What was Deseret like?
>>
>>38489
Ah, a fellow historian of the Empire of Trebizond!
>>
File: Bhutan_mask_Dancers_cropped.jpg (581KB, 815x482px) Image search: [Google]
Bhutan_mask_Dancers_cropped.jpg
581KB, 815x482px
>>35310
>television banned until 1999
>0 traffic lights
>traditional dress legally enforced
>highest elevation country in the world
>nearly 100% organic
>happiest country in the world
>tourism completely banned on occasion
>homosexuality illegal
what a magical place
>>
>>38600
Polygamous.
>>
>>39681
Hot.
>>
File: 2551553543_1f623dd88d.jpg (137KB, 500x333px) Image search: [Google]
2551553543_1f623dd88d.jpg
137KB, 500x333px
>>31879
The evil Romans destroyd this great civilization.
>>
>>35026
Spanish had conflicts with the other regions, specially Catalunya. The portuguese got conquered since their King D.Sebastiao never returned from the Maghreb and the king of spain should seize the throne, something normal at the time but the majority of the population didn't accept it well. By having civil wars in two distant areas (Portugal and Catalunya), the spanish couldn't afford to mantain both conflicts, and when the portuguese started to win the war, the spanish had to give up and focus on Catalunya.
>>
>>39319
One of the worlds poorest countires? Check
Happiest country in the world? What is Iceland?
Gimme your sources.
Thread posts: 27
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.