[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/his/, help me. I've been trying to read up on Muslim beliefs

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 1

File: 34_islam.jpg (43KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
34_islam.jpg
43KB, 500x500px
/his/, help me.
I've been trying to read up on Muslim beliefs and sects but they confuse hell out of me. All that Imam succession stuff and which ones are recognized by whom and what the actual differences in their belief systems are.

Can you give a me a simple breakdown of the most important ones?
>>
Watch the caspian report's videos about it
>>
>>306743
Sunni= believe that the faith should not worship a single bloodline descendant of Mohammed. major regions are Iraq and historically all Muslim areas west of Iraq. do not pray directly to mecca, although do face mecca when praying.

Shiite= worship bloodline of Mohammed. area of Iran to pakistan (although Afghanistan is a distinct mess). pray directly to mecca. Surprisingly legitimately more tolerant of other religions provided Jizya is paid. This is the sect that actually allows lying for the sake of advancing the faith.

Mughal= Muslims in India and Pakistan. when people speak of Muslims being tolerant, these guys used to be their proof. they literally altered the teachings of mohammed in order to maintain peace in their region. region lasted from initial conquering to british control of India. look into Indian/Pakistan politics for modern issues and cultures.

Wahabists= hard line fundamentalists prevalent near Saharan desert and regions of Pakistan. These guys are the primary source of the worst examples of muslims outside of the terrorists cells. they also tend to have a lot of political power in their regions. the full body coverings, the moral police, the ridiculous and stupid ways that women are treated; the worst of it comes from them.

ISIS= went well outside the teachings of Islam since their very creation. for an idea of just how bad they are, watch the news or their propaganda videos. by their own holy texts they would be heretics. Noticeably no person in the Muslim world is consistently denouncing them without being pressured to, and even that is carefully worded.
>>
>>306782
>/his/ is not /pol/, and Global Rule #3 is in effect. Do not try to treat this board as /pol/ with dates. Blatant racism and trolling will not be tolerated, and a high level of discourse is expected. History can be examined from many different conflicting viewpoints; please treat other posters with respect and address the content of their post instead of attacking their character.
>>
>>306949
ISIS are just wahabists and wahabists are a subsect of Sunnis.
>>
Read In the Shadow of the Sword by Tom Holland. Also, Robert Hoyland and Stephen Shoemaker are recommended reading
>>
>>306949
> Isis would be heretics

How?
>>
>>306961
They are more salafists and they are more influenced by Qutb's reading/commentary of the Koran than anything else.
>>
>>306971
Because they consider Shia to be non-Muslim polytheists (this means of course alewites). That is a very extreme interpretation that even people like Bin Laden didn't agree with.
>>
>>306974

That's al-Qaeda. ISIS took the ideology of al-Qaeda and gave it an apocalyptic spin, via al-Zarqawi
>>
>>306743
>I've been trying to read up on Muslim beliefs and sects but they confuse hell out of me

Run down of Sunni Islam, the Major sect.

There are two sources of religious texts.

The Qur'an - The literal word of God, the most important
The Hadith - The actions and words of Muhammad

There are 5 basic pillars in Sunni Islam which Sunnis must follow

1. The proclamation of faith, essentially to just believe.
2. Prayer - supposes to be 5 times a day
3. Charity, giving your money to the poor
4. Fasting, for the month of Ramadan
5. Hajj, the Pilgrimage to Mecca, should be one once in every Muslims life if Able.

>>306971
They violate even the most basic and obvious Islamic laws like "Do not kill another Muslim" every single day. They are simply maniacs.
>>
>>306971
There are multiple forms of executions that they've filmed that are expressly forbidden; setting people on fire is a good example.

they are also far more focused on killing people rather than getting them to convert. the cowardly tactics of their terror campaigns are proof of this. Their holy text says that conversion by the sword is allowed, but their victims don't even get the chance to do that.

finally the 72 virgins in paradise bit, while vague is still convincing them blow themselves up in the name of advancing their religion. however as can be legitimately viewed on current television, all it has served to do is alienate them from those whom they are supposed to convert. The current refugee crisis is a wonderful example of this. the vast majority of those people are probably truly seeking safety. however due to the events that have occurred, and the terror campaigns from that region, they are being treated as a walking plague. A plague does not win converts, only victims.

nothing ISIS does legitimately advances their faith. all they are capable of is destruction.
>>
>>307027
>>306949
These are good, basic explanations, but I could discern this much myself. What I meant was alawites, ismailis, twelvers and so on. How do they differ from mainstream faith, what are their principles!
>>
>>306992
But the Qutbist ideology is still there namely any government authority has to be grounded in both Islamic teachings (which to them is a self-contained praxis) and hakimiyyah (divine authority) and that everything that doesn't conform to it is Jahiliyyah (preislamic ignorance).

As is their blueprint for islamic revolution (grounded around a) the creation of the vanguard of the ummah and b) removing themselves from the presence of the ignorant). This is basically what is happening with what they are trying to do with the Islamic state.
>>
Why do so many Muslims get aggressive when somebody insults Muhammad or Islam? Is it justified to react violently when one insults Islam or the prophet?
>>
http://www.hakikatkitabevi.com/download/english/17-EthicsOfIslam.pdf

a good read. simplified.
>>
>>306949
>you will never be the leader of a dope-ass state in india
>you will never be called great the great
>>
>>307378
It varies on how on big of an impact Islam has on their lives. Go into the deep south and talk shit about Jesus and see how they react
>>
>>307378
>Why do so many Muslims get aggressive when somebody insults Muhammad or Islam?
For Muhammad, it is because many consider an insult to him as an insult maybe even more disliked than an insult to a family member. Especially if the insult is considered as false slander and the guy is spreading it around like it's true. As for Islam, it's just because a) the insulter could be said to be insulting their entire way of life (just as some people might be offended if freedom of whatever, like speech, marriage, etc were insulted) and/or b) by insulting their religion, it feels like they are being insulting. Even if people say "I hate Islam, not Muslims", that is deemed as making no sense. A Muslim by definition incorporates Islam into his/her life. If you insult Islam, they can take that insult as the insulter insulting them and their lives. If the Muslim did not follow Islam, he/she would not be Muslim, so there is no sense in acting like you could have a Muslim without (an) Islam.

There might also be a underlining hypersensitivity to perceived lies. At the very least in traditional Arab culture (and this feature might have spread to other Muslim areas), being called a liar or hypocrite is a much greater level insult than in other regions. Very often, but not always, the insulter makes a claim that the Muslim denies as being true, and this might make flaring up more likely. Of course, not all insults fall under this category. Some insults the Muslim accepts as true, but does not deem the fact as an insult ~ but the Muslim may be insulted that the insulter is acting like that fact is a negative thing.

>Is it justified to react violently when one insults Islam or the prophet?
It isn't. You could get offended just as if someone offended your mother or a family member (especially if you believe the claims made are false), but you have no justification to overreact and resort to violence. That is not permissible nor does that reaction have scriptural support.
>>
>>307100

The Twelvers are basically the Shi'ite mainstream. They believe in a succession of Twelve Imams who, aside from the first imam Ali (Muhammad's cousin and son in law), are all descended from Muhammad through his daughter Fatimah (Ali's wife).

They believe that the 12th imam, who was born in 869, is in occultation and will return in the endtimes to fight the Antichrist with Jesus. Known as Muhammad al-Mahdi, he will cleanse the world of all evil before the Day of Judgment.

The beliefs of the Twelver can be described as orthodox Shi'ism. Like the rest of the Shi'ites they reject the Sunni line of caliphs and differ from the Sunnis in what hadiths and sunnah they hold to be genuine. Ideas particular to the Twelver tradition include Taqiyya (which, contrary to what /pol/ thinks, is not actually a mainstream Islamic concept) and Nikah Mut'ah (fixed-term marriage contracts that draw the ire of prudish Sunnis)

The Alawites and Alevis are both highly syncretic sects that are often considered nominally Shi'ite (they both revere the Twelve Imams) but are really more of a mash-up of various local religious practices, superstitions, and folk traditions.

Their religious worship is highly unorthodox (for example, Alevis worship by dancing to music and chanting in mixed gender congregations) by Islamic standards and their beliefs can vary wildly from village to village and even from family to family. Reincarnation, trinitarianism, using alcohol in religious ceremonies, pantheism, atheism, and fire worship are examples of heterodox beliefs and practices that are particular to different Alawite and Alevi localities. Unsurprisingly, they are considered to be heretics and infidels by a lot of Sunni Muslims and there is an interesting debate within the Alevi community in Turkey about whether they are actually Muslims or not.

I don't know enough about Ismailis to comment on them.
>>
>>309487
Ismailis are basically the lineal descendent of the Assassins.
Thread posts: 21
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.