[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What did the Celts actually believe? I've read several times

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 7

What did the Celts actually believe? I've read several times that they weren't truly polytheistic and instead were animists, is this some crazy fringe theory or is it legit?
>>
Mainly neo-platonists
>>
>>305120
Just no.

>>305117
Paganism, which is by default polytheistic
Many pagan "deities" have animal forms or representatives, it's a bit muddled.

Think ancient egypt, man-animals are quite common pagan gods.
>>
>>305117
Their Gods usually could morph into animals, but they weren't animists.
Heck, they weren't even that polytheistic, since the commonly recorded Keltoi "Gods" (Children of Danu) were more akin to elves who were just really powerful, but gave up the ghost when humans (Celts) decided to mosey on through, so they receded into the world and became Fae.
Danu was the progenitor of them, and The Dagda was closer to the Christian belief of God, but still more happily interactive with the Children of Danu, and the Celts.
>>
File: glossarypictboar2[1].jpg (37KB, 246x150px) Image search: [Google]
glossarypictboar2[1].jpg
37KB, 246x150px
Why did they put that fucking hog on EVERYTHING they did?
>>
>>306258
They really, really liked that picture.
>>
>>305117
The Celts primarily had Indo-European religion like everyone else in Europe however theirs was much more diluted and mixed with the native religion so it appears quite different.
>>
>>306278
thanks shirley
>>
>>306258
Because boars are fucking mean.
>>
Polytheism is just scaled up animism.

Even the Greeks were still animists, we just have much less of a record of the religion of the laymen. How many beings are just "the entity in charge of this river" or "genius of this field"? And that doesn't even get into shit like house spirits or familial guardians and the like.
>>
>>306258
Literal meme.
>>
>>306298
"Native religion" bro celts were first migration who would the natives be neanderthals? Also indo europeans were like second or third migration so they didn't share a religion.
>>
File: images.jpg (9KB, 228x221px) Image search: [Google]
images.jpg
9KB, 228x221px
>>305117
>Gods
lol fuck those faggots we beat them and now they live in holes in the ground and the only "power" they have is spoiling milk.
>>
>>306452
The Celts weren't first. Neolithic people inhabited Brittain even before they arrived.
>>
File: laughing.jpg (1MB, 1000x1500px) Image search: [Google]
laughing.jpg
1MB, 1000x1500px
>>306452
>celts were first migration who would the natives be neanderthals?
>>
>>306510
>we beat them
Who wears the pants in the relationship, you stupid whore.
>>
File: natashakashkina.jpg (349KB, 1000x1000px) Image search: [Google]
natashakashkina.jpg
349KB, 1000x1000px
>>305117
the moon

didn't they uncover an even larger stonehenge somewhere in england?
>>
>>307675
>Who wears the pants in the relationship
Not these retards anyways

Despite his great power and prestige, the >Dagda is sometimes depicted as oafish and crude, even comical, wearing a short, rough tunic that barely covers his rump, dragging his great penis on the ground
>>
File: 1421648682409.jpg (1MB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
1421648682409.jpg
1MB, 1920x1080px
>>307857
why would anyone worship the moon when you had the sun - the literal life giver that could be praised during the day when everyone's awaken?
>>
>>307981
>Despite his great power and prestige, the >Dagda is sometimes depicted as oafish and crude
He was basically Tom Bombadil, because he didn't need to be anything else. Of course, these stories are the ones we have left, and light Lugh Lamfhada becoming the what we now think of as a Leprechaun, perhaps the stories were altered over time to make them less desirable.
>>
>>306258
They're tasty, didn't you read asterix?
>>
>>308321
I'm sure they praised the sun too. I remember a gaulish sun god, I think it was Belenos.

Anyways, you could argue that the moon is your light at night, when you most need it.
>>
File: IT06858 (1).jpg (74KB, 600x390px) Image search: [Google]
IT06858 (1).jpg
74KB, 600x390px
>>308774
The christian authors certainly had a vested interest in making the gods seem less divine, though they often had a pretty big respect for them and didn't write them out of "history"

I remember reading an Immram ("Eachtra Thaidhg Mhic Céin" maybe, don't remember) where the hero gets lost in the Atlantic and unknowingly passes into the otherworld. He is eventually met by Mannanán Mac Lír, who guides him back and makes him promise to be a good christian.

There is also the story of how Conchobair Mac Neasa' death. 7 years before a calcified brain was stuck in his head during battle and he was warned not to over-exert himself but on being told of Christ's crucifixion by a christian missionary he becomes so angry that the brain bursts from his head and he is killed, the blood from the wound baptising him as he dies. This character is in the same stories as pagan gods, which shows the blending of paganism and christianity. The old gods didn't disappear, they were just relegated to a lower position.
Thread posts: 23
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.