[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is Cynicism inherently a primitivist philosophy? Would civilization

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 3

File: diogenes.jpg (3MB, 1800x1322px) Image search: [Google]
diogenes.jpg
3MB, 1800x1322px
Is Cynicism inherently a primitivist philosophy? Would civilization or technology exist in a Cynic world? Is Cynicism basically a more philosophical and ancient form of anarcho-primitivism?
>>
Cynicism is inherently an individual philosophy. Trying to apply it to politics or visualize a Cynical world is silly.
>>
>>304627
That's true, but there's still the question of what would happen if everyone ultimately became a Cynic. Or is Cynicism only applicable in civilization and a different philosophy would be needed elsewhere?
>>
>>304697
>is Cynicism only applicable in civilization
I guess you could say that, since it separates the Cynic from his society and its values. A society of Cynics would probably not have any sort of structure to separate from or criticize, but since Cynicism isn't the kind of ideology that grows alongside a developing civilization anyway I don't see the point. It's like asking what the world would be like if we were all Stirnerists or adherents of Sextus Empiricus.
>>
>>304734
But is civilization ultimately anti-Cynic? Would a society of Cynics do away with civilization and technology, would they simply be anarcho-primivitists?

I guess my core question is whether Cynicism is explicitly against civilization, society, technology etc. or just the permutations in the current society? If a core aspect of Cynicism is that things which do not lead to happiness are worthless and negative, then wouldn't that include civilization and technology?
>>
I feel like it's ok to be a cynic but cynicism for it's own sake like diogenes is kind of silly in my individual opinion.
>>
>>304776
smash dat mufuccin like button if u get it.
>>
>>304765
Yes, civilization is antagonistic toward the Cynic, as it is toward any individualist/transactional collectivist.

If you bring happiness into it then it becomes subjective, my Cynicism and your Cynicism could be very different things. Plus I believe you're thinking of Epicureanism, not Cynicism.
>>
>>304610
Cynicism is so closely related to anti-technology/civilization beliefs because technology and civilization are very easy to criticize.
>>
>>304776
Diogenes wasn't a Cynic just to piss off people, he was a Cynic foremost and that in turned pissed off people. Part of his Cynic duties was educating people about their foolishness. Antagonism was just his favorite method of doing so.
>>304791
I don't know much about Epicureanism, but an important aspect of Cynicism, like Stoicism, is the things good, indifferent, and bad. Good is that which leads you to eudomania, which can be translated as happiness; they believed only virtue was good and virtue was sufficient for happiness. Bad things are vices, which leads away from happiness, and indifferent things are neither. Cynics believed that indifferent things would inevitably get in the way of virtue, which the Stoics disagreed with, and as such indifferent things should be completely discarded. It seems to me that such an idea would necessitate the complete lack of civilization, science, or anything else, unless creation could be considered a virtue, but I have never heard any Cynic thoughts on that.
>>304804
I'm not sure if Cynicism really is against that, that's the point of my questions. I just know that Cynicism is against the irrational aspects of society in particular.
>>
>>304826
>get invited into house
>told not to spit
>spit in dudes face

>piss on people

>walk around with a lit lantern during the day searching for an honest man

Yeah nah the ideas were nice but in practice not so great

Best thing he ever did was that fuck you to plato with the chicken.
>>
File: 1424589814541.png (36KB, 1765x532px) Image search: [Google]
1424589814541.png
36KB, 1765x532px
>>304610
>>
>>304697
most people are too hedonistic and love hedonism far too much to change doctrine
>>
File: 1448245238361.jpg (1MB, 1800x1322px) Image search: [Google]
1448245238361.jpg
1MB, 1800x1322px
Is this cynicism?
>>
>>304868
>be a homeless loser
>no guys I swear it's because I am a humble cynic this is all in the name of philosophy I am doing this on purpose
>>
>>304926
Except Diogenes repeatedly made his life more difficult on purpose.
>>
>>304868

Diogonese was the true Anti-Christ and ubermensch. Nietzcher be damned.
>>
>>304697
Cynicism only works in a world where most everyone else isn't a cynic.

It's like being a NEET
Thread posts: 18
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.