[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Were there any 19th century unification movements in Scandinavia,

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 86
Thread images: 8

File: 1430175220753.gif (14KB, 454x389px) Image search: [Google]
1430175220753.gif
14KB, 454x389px
Were there any 19th century unification movements in Scandinavia, as there were for Italy and Germany? If there were, why didn't any of them succeed? Were the countries just too different from each other, having unique languages and all?
>>
wasn't needed, sweden already ruled whole peninsula for whole century
>>
>>300187
Scandinavia is a big place, big enough to have separate entities. When you look at Italy, it's sort of obvious that it should be one country, the same with the general Germany region. But the Scandi nations have been separate for centuries and generally across geographical lines. Finland is on its own, Denmark is a peninsula of its own, only Norway and Sweden could possibly merge and they do have a closer history but they are generally separated by a mountain range, well, Norway is the mountain range, Sweden is the flatter part.
>>
Why do people keep lumping Finland with Scandinavia? They're not even in the same linguistic family.
>>
>>300264
Because Finns are Nordic Aryans

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Honorary_Aryan#To_the_Finns
>Hitler decreed in November 1942 that "from now on Finland and the Finnish people be treated and designated as a Nordic state and a Nordic people", which he considered one of the highest compliments that the Nazi government could bestow upon another country.
>>
>>300270
Memes aside, there does seem to be a lot of Oriental influence in their names and the way many of them look, so I don't get why Hitler would say such as thing.

Then again he was allied with the Japs.
>>
>>300187
sweden already ruled norway in a union at the time, as denmark-norway was dissolved in the Napoleonic wars

>>300264
sweden owned finland for a while, then russia took it
>>
File: gaMU5TV.jpg (145KB, 772x516px) Image search: [Google]
gaMU5TV.jpg
145KB, 772x516px
>>300264
If not for Russia they would be pretty much Swedish by now. And there is some how considers Estonia to be part of Scandinavia. Mostly Estonians themselves though.
>>
>>300279
He said Croatians were Germanic too, because of the Goths. He said a lot of this shit to justify alliances, I don't think he really believed it.
>>
>>300187
In the 19th Century national identities were still being established, its different for Germany and Italy because they were cultural unions, whereas I bet the Swedes/Danes/Finns/Norwegians were all learning what it meant to be Swedish or Danish or etc etc.

Becoming 'scandinavian' was too much of a culural leap, in the same way the Welsh/Scottish/Irish saw/see themselves as Welsh/Scottish/Irish back then and today.
>>
>>300279
Fuck you faggot, the average Finn is much more racially Nordic than the average German. I mean just look at Hitler, Goebbels, Himmler & co and tell me they look Nordic.
>>
Scandinavia has always been fought over by the Danes and the Swedes. Basically the Danes owned the wealthiest piece of land, and had Norway for a good long while, while Sweden had Finland. Linguistically Swedish and Norwegian are the closest together, but in many cultural and legal traditions Sweden and Finland have moer similarities.

tl;dr there has been a milennia of rivalry between Sweden and Denmark. Nowadays a scandi/nordic state would be dominated by Sweden, which Denmark would not want to be a part of.
>>
There were, but Denmark said fuck it after Sweden (in union with Norway) didnt help them in the Holstein-Schleswig war
>>
University students from all of Scandinavia held meetings throughout the 1840's, celebrating the idea of Scandinavian unity. At that point, Scandinavian intellectuals began to like the idea of EIN REICH for the volks, and unification came close for a while, considering Denmark and Sweden-Norway entered a monetary union later on.

Then the Prussians attacked Denmark for Schleswig, and when the Swedish government didn't want to enter the war, Denmark got pissed, obviously. After that, no one really bothered with any attempts at unification.
>>
>>300279
>I don't get why Hitler would say such as thing
>Then again he was allied with the Japs.

hmmmmmmm its almost like all this white supremacist "kill all sybhumans" bullshit is bullshit?
>>
Is it very hard to search for Scandinavism?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scandinavism

The problem with Scandinavism is that we are 3 nations, and however got to have the capitol will got all the benefits as Norway and Sweden had experienced in the Kalmar union and Norway had experienced in Denmark-Norway. With this long history of the consequences of a Scandinavian union, it's no wonder it never took of.

The unification of Italy was made under completely different circumstances. Italy has a natural capitol, Rome, which neither Northern Italy nor Southern Italy can complain about. Also the progressive regime in Northern Italy made Southern Italians flock to the army of Garibaldi to get rid of their Re Bomba and join a better ruled nation.

Germany, as you know, had the same problem as Scandinavia. No natural capitol, but since they were not 3 nations unifying, but like a dozens, it wasn't that big a camel to swallow, and even today, Berlin does not really dominate the other big cities of Germany in population or size. German unification was also never completed, because Austria, who used to be boss, couldn't handle Berlin being the capitol, and wouldn't join.
>>
>tfw there is no Northern Bloc with London as its capital

feels bad to be honest
>>
File: viking-ship.jpg (20KB, 400x264px) Image search: [Google]
viking-ship.jpg
20KB, 400x264px
>>300187

Sweden, Norway and Denmark are three different kingdoms and had three different languages and to some extent also cultures.

In addition, a lot of conflict existed historically inbetween the three kingdoms and they never had much care to unify since the others were seen as competitors and not friends.

This was especially true for Sweden as Denmark and Norway often ganged up to take Sweden out, seeing as Sweden was twice their size. A unification between Denmark and Sweden was just never going to happen because the rivalry was to great. No two other european nations have gone to war with each other as many times as Sweden and Denmark have.
>>
>>302763
>No two other european nations have gone to war with each other as many times as Sweden and Denmark have.
Also, it has always been in everybody interest, that no single nation ruled the strait to the Baltic sea. And it has always been of Swedish/Danish interest to rule it. Hence rivalry.
This is a gross oversimplification, but to some extent it would say it is one reason.
>>
>>300279

>Oriental influence in their names

There is no oriental influence in Finnish names.
>>
>>301684
>Linguistically Swedish and Norwegian are the closest together
What period are you talking about here?
>>
>>300187
Yes. It was a pretty big thing during the 19th century, and for a short time a Scandinavian union seemed possible as Oscar I became king of both Sweden and Norway and the relationship with Denmark improved. However, after the second Danish-German war over Schleswig, when the Swedish government refused to join an alliance against the rising German power on the continent the idea of a unified Scandinavia seemed once again impossible and was no longer pursued.
>>
>>302875
The current. I'm a Fennoswede and I can speak Swedish to a Norwegian and vice versa, and we will understand each other. Danish is a struggle however, and I almost always speak English with Danes.
>>
>>302987
Written language in Danish and Norwegian are almost the same. But i get your point, the tone is completely different in Danish compared to Swedish/Norwegian.
>>
>>300187
In the 1800s Scandinavianism was a fad. It was curious, since before then Sweden and Denmark had mostly held enmity against one another. But they acknowledged their shared roots and the potential an alliance held. Some politicans, a lot of academics and students along with some literary figures were vocal advocates of Scandinavianism.

Swedish politics were beginning to turn amiable towards the thought of it. Sent kind expressions and whatnot to the Danes.
Didn't last though.
The Danish-German War for Schleswig-Holstein broke the illusion, since the Swedes wouldn't give any direct help. And why would they have?
>>
Why is the image so phallic? Fucking denmark is a cum shooting out of Norway/Sweden's dick with Finland as the balls
>>
>>302211
>capitol
capital

and no, national unification doesn't have to do with a matter of capital cities. The problem of a capital city is representative of a larger problem, which is, the fear of vested interests that political or economic union would mean a loss of influence in the political or economic system.
>>
>>302763
>three different kingdoms
>>302211
>we are 3 nations

this is all true, but you're forgetting that germany and italy united very disparate kingdoms and states, some of which spoke drastically different dialects, into one state. we have to find a better reason than "it has always been this way, therefore it always will be"
>>
>>303249
They were also not widely uninhabited wasteland.
>>
>>300279
>there does seem to be a lot of Oriental influence in their names
That's retarded
>>
>>302229
Why the flying fuck would London be the capital? Stay out of here, vainglorious roastbeef. You're not Nordic and you'll never be. Few things trigger me as much as Brits and Germans thinking they belong to Northern Europe.
>>
>>301684
>Nowadays a scandi/nordic state would be dominated by Sweden

Ahahahahaha. It would easily be Norway.
>>
I wouldn't mind a unification, if only because I'm willing to sacrifice smaller cultural quirks just so we don't all get brutalized by American culture.
>>
>>304873
How so? Because of muh oil? They have the smallest population out of the four fenno-scandic countries, and were the poorest before oil. I'd say that even now they have the least relevance in international politics, with Swedes often wanting to be some sort of "moral great power".
>>
Problem with any unficiation is that the Swedes would just want the benefits and as soon as any of the neighboring countries got in trouble would scream to fuck off. They are more than happy to use Finland, Norway and Denmark as shields.
>>
>>304952
>Implying that the Baltic ocean, Finnish forest, norwegian mountains, and Danish islands weren't just created only to protect Sweden.
>>
>>304887
>the four fenno-scandic countries
If you include Finland with Scandinavia, you might as well include Iceland too.
>>
>>304880
>>304980
>Swede
>>304952
>Dane

This is why there will never be unity.

Note: Swedes consider the Kalmar union to have been unfair to them.
>>
File: 1424921180991.jpg (17KB, 225x225px) Image search: [Google]
1424921180991.jpg
17KB, 225x225px
>>302841
>Finland most famous racer
>Kimi raikkonen
not a simplified version of "Kim Raikishi"
>>
>>305112

Kimi Räikkönen*

And Kimi isn't even a Finnish name. Kimi derives from Joakim which is a hebrew name.
>>
>>300187
The countries are very different contrary to popular opinion.

While Norwegians, Swedes and Danes who aren't linguistically retarded, can understand each other while just speaking in their native language, the cultural differences are pretty big for countries that have so much overlapping history.

t. Norwegian
>>
File: 000.jpg (15KB, 203x250px) Image search: [Google]
000.jpg
15KB, 203x250px
>>305124
>Kim 김
>meaning "metal"
In Finland people give name to their kids based on what their parents are expecting you're going to be.Let's say your parents think you might be a great driver,they would give something related like "김" ,"金", or "Kim" which means metal because you know cars are made of metal.
>>
>>305147

Do they call their kids 'Dildo' if they look kinda gay?
>>
File: rhine.gif (17KB, 612x340px) Image search: [Google]
rhine.gif
17KB, 612x340px
>>300237
>it's sort of obvious that it should be one country, the same with the general Germany region

This, Rhine border when?
>>
>>305158
"Dildo" is a respected to tool to pleasure and calm the women folk.So calling someone "Dildo" in modern Finland is considered a compliment
>>
>>305176
Honestly this sounds like logic a Swede would name their son.
>>
>>305059
Sure Iceland could tag along in a Nordic union, they would however be quite irrelevant due to their size. I included Finland because I sort of see Finland being to Sweden what Norway is to Denmark. I.e. the poorer and more distant part of the realm.
>>
>>305183
I'm from Helsinki and one of my friend's nickname is literally "condom" in the local slang that is a 19th century mish-mash of Swedish-Finnish-German-and-Russian.
>>
>>302763
Actually, the largest problem for a Scandinavian Union were the mutually exclusive interests of largely Danish and Swedish nobility. Apart from the Swedes feeling that the Danes had unproportional political influence during the Kalmar Union, it was also a considerable problem for the union that the Danes were hostile towards the German princes in the south while the Swedes wanted to trade with them.

Some people have also argued that the main reason that a Scandinavian Union never was particularly long lived or happened when the opportunity seemed to reveal itself was because it was in the interest of several states, including England, Poland, Russia and the Netherlands that it didn't happen, as such a state would have had full control over the trade going in and out of the Baltic Sea.
>>
>>302211
Why not build a new capital somewhere in the middle?

Work for the US and Canada (probably lots of other countries I can't think of off hand).
>>
>>306511
...also Australia.

Basically every big federation does this.
>>
>>304856
I believe it's a reference to the North Sea Empire
>>
>>306511
>New capital in the middle
Stockholm is in the middle allready
>>
>>306511
Or disribute the functions of government between different cities as in South Africa.

p.s. greenfield capital cities would make an interesting thread. I've been to Sejong City here in Korea, which is planned to be the new capital (since Seoul is so crowded), and it's a wondrous boondoggle. Incredible infrastructure (including a Pentagon on stilts) but seemingly nobody lives there.
>>
File: sweden finland norway.jpg (457KB, 2790x1122px) Image search: [Google]
sweden finland norway.jpg
457KB, 2790x1122px
man, combinding the five countries in modern times would be GOAT. imagine the wealth and progress
>>
>>303249

Italy has a common language and History, as does Germany. In fact Germanic states had centuries of political connection with each other.

Sweden and Denmark had only rivalry.
The unification movement was not strong because they have little amiable shared history (unlike Italy and Germany)
>>
>>307099
Are Swedish and Danish any more different than German and Italian "dialects"?
>>
>>306659
It would only have the population of Australia.
>>
>>306543
Göteborg is in the middle.

>>306659
Yes, a Monolith of 25 million people.
Oh wait, that is still nothing.
>>
>>300237
Just no.
Germany formed around a myth of continuity with the Holy Roman Empire.
So all the small states that used to be a part of the HRE became Germany.
But italy etc weren't up for grabs, as italian nationalism had already arisen years previously.
>>
>>307148
Yes.
>>
>>305147

This post is literally >bullshit the post

My name doesn't mean anything. Neither do most of my friends names. A lot of our names come from the bible/ our old traditional roots.
>>
>>307148

Swedish and Danish are two different languages. They are closely related.

However I am a Swede and I've never in my entire life been able to hold a conversation with a dane. I try every time but after awhile I just give up.

See this video for an accurate description of the danish language:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s-mOy8VUEBk
>>
>>307394
congratulations on falling for obvious bait finnbro.
>>307700
I can confirm that video as 100% accurate.
>>
>>300294
>>300298
But isn't that completely irrelevant?
Near the time of separation of the two regions they were still completely alien to eachother. Whereas the Scandi countries have the same language, culture and etc.
>>
>>308019
Finland got it's church from Sweden, and having a state church ensured an efficient bureaucracy this tradition continued on in Finland throughout the Russian and independent period. This managerial efficiency is sort of a basis for the Nordic welfare state, and a cultural similarity. Sweden and thus Finland also never implemented feudalism or serfdom, and in 1700 75% of the land in Finland was owned by free peasants, while for example in Hungary a single noble family, Esterhazy, owned 60% of the land. Most of the legal basis was also formulated during the Swedish period. A lot of the national philosophy and poetry was written in the 19th century by Swedish speaking Finns, who are still a somewhat influential minority. Also Finland was never a nation or state before the Swedish rule, so the chieftains swore fealty to the Swedish king and mostly retained their privileges. The Russians also frequently attacked Eastern Finland and the crown was seen as a protection from the Russians.
>>
>>308103
Well that was extremely vague as expected.
Nothing new to my point.
>>
>>308145
Don't really know what you mean by "your point". But I was demonstrating how they share the same institutional, legal, and religious background - and being far from "alien to eachother".
>>
LETS SETTLE THIS

SCANDINAVIA: DENMARK, SWEDEN AND NORWAY

NORDIC COUNTRIES: SCANDINAVIA+ICELAND AND FINLAND

>estonia kek
>>
>>308183
Scotland is arguably nordic too though.
>>
>>308187
Why?
>>
>>308188
Same reason Iceland is.
>>
>>308192
Iceland is Nordic because it was a part of Denmark until 1944, and it's population is pretty much wholly consisted of Scandinavians who migrated. I don't know enough about Iceland to say if their political system is similar to the other countries, but I would wager that it is closer than Scotland.
>>
>>308176
I meant I already knew this, so it was unnecessary.
>and being far from "alien to eachother"
Compared what's west to Sweden as I said.
>>
>>300237
No it's not. Sicily and Venice have different cultures than the Italians. You could say the same thing about the baltics or yugoslavia lol baka
>>
>>308187

Isn't Scotland British / Celtic?
>>
>>308249
Kind of, but have you never heard them talk? They're more nordic than Finland.
>>
>>308264
Didn't the Norwegians breed with them all or something, due to viking rapes and some conquering?
>>
>>304887
>Poorest before oil
That's a myth.
Who's regarded as the global negotiator and peacekeeper? Not Sweden and their isolationist policies, that's for sure. The only way Sweden is referred to as a "great moral power" is because they literally say yes to anything, that's not being moral, that's just being clueless.
>>
File: 1b3.jpg (433KB, 1000x1166px) Image search: [Google]
1b3.jpg
433KB, 1000x1166px
>>308264
>>308264
>>308264
FUCK OFF FUCKING ANGLO SHITS NO-ONE WANTS YOU
>>
>>303392
well they have this gene degenracy called finnish heritage disease, so it might owe to that.
>>
>>308345
Thanks to population bottleneck.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Genetic_isolate
>>
>>307099
thats what im sayin tho. the german states had bitter rivalries. there was a faous rivalry between brandenburg, saxony and bavaria for example. italy also had rivalries between kingdom of piedmont and kingdom of sicily and the papal states. but i do agree that denmark and sweden developed their own unique cultures, though they both had a common heritage with general european cultural trends like the renaissance, baroque and enlightenment
>>
>>308797
>but i do agree that denmark and sweden developed their own unique cultures
There's a difference, certainly, but it's more like a difference between Continental Scandinavian culture and Northern Scandinavian culture than between Swedish and Danish. They are still remarkably similar, but one is clearly more influenced by continental Europe than the other. Travelling through southern Sweden you won't really notice any major differences from Denmark, only further north, little by little, you will notice how things change and are replaced by, for a continental European, more foreign traditions, and by the time you reach Stockholm you have effectively no continental influence left.
>>
>>308264
Only really Shetland, which isn't REALLY a part of Scotland. Northern England has more Scandinavian blood in it than Scotland. The Scottish are a mix of the Picts (native mainland Brits) and the Scots (Irish) mainly.
>>
>>308188
Scotland is already heavily involved in the Nordic Council even though they technically aren't a member state.
Thread posts: 86
Thread images: 8

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.