[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What is nietzsches definition of the Übermensch? Is a nihilistic

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 57
Thread images: 6

File: 2834017-ubermensch[1].jpg (96KB, 385x500px) Image search: [Google]
2834017-ubermensch[1].jpg
96KB, 385x500px
What is nietzsches definition of the Übermensch?
Is a nihilistic anon who disregards all social norms and spends all his time improving his Osu! skill an Übermensch ?
>>
The pure blood aryan race
>>
>>295643
Nietzsche's definition of nihilist was the opposite of his definition of Übermensch.

Nihilist is one who believes in nothing and has no meaning in life.
Übermensch is one who has the ability to create value and meaning in his life, and enjoy life's pleasures.
>>
>>295791
Ya that's what I meant by an anon who keeps on trying to improve his Osu! skills
>>
>>295791
Are nor/mlp/eople the Ubermensch?
>>
File: IgyWTDX.jpg (844KB, 1936x2776px) Image search: [Google]
IgyWTDX.jpg
844KB, 1936x2776px
>>295843
absolutely
>>
>>295661
Nietzsche told his publisher to fuck off because the publisher was an antisemite. His sister tried to make his books about race, and the Nazi party hijacked his teachings in part. The Ubermensch has nothing to do with "aryans".
>>
>>295883
THE DECADENCE

THE OVERWHELMING MASSACRING DECADENCE

HOLY FUCK

i'm gonna be sick
>>
File: Holy shit.jpg (2MB, 2000x4500px) Image search: [Google]
Holy shit.jpg
2MB, 2000x4500px
>>295899
Dont be silly, this is pure manliness
>>
>>295903
no

make it stop

please, it's burning, my eyes
>>
the roman caesar with christ's soul

the affirmer of eternal recurrence

the innocent child playing in the desert

the other end of the tightrope

the dancer at the edge of the vulcano

the arrow shot by a bow strained by centuries of platonism, jesuitism and democracy
>>
File: by the emperor.jpg (138KB, 663x1600px) Image search: [Google]
by the emperor.jpg
138KB, 663x1600px
>>295903
>>
>>295643
Very simply, an ideal for yourself that exceeds mankind.
>>
>>295843
Normies complain about things when they should be finding meaning in strife. They are content to be mediocre rather than learn to self-covercome.

Ubermensh is supposed to be a goal that is difficult or even impossible to obtain. It's what drives you forward. It's your meaning.
>>
>>296008
Normal people also believe in typical morals and are generally utilitarian in their moral thinking, which are both abhorrent.
>>
>>296008
>Ubermensh is supposed to be a goal that is difficult or even impossible to obtain. It's what drives you forward.
Like cumming inside Rainbow Dash?
>>
Explained with video games

-Ubermench: Plays his games on the highest difficulty, finds meaning and enjoys his victories as well as his defeats, creates his own path through the game. Affirms every aspect of the game, including subtle mechanics and immersion elements.

-Mench: Plays his game on the middle difficulty, doesn't really see what's so great about winning but can also handle defeat, follows the most common path through the game. Only affirms the obvious parts of the game.

-Undermench: Plays games on easy mode with save states. Can't handle losing, reads strategy guides to tell him how to play. Hates most of the game but plays it anyway.
>>
>>296104
Fucking awful explanation.

Ubermensch: creates his own mechanics within the game, inspires awe with his grace and skill, stops playing because he moves on, loves when he loses the game.

Mensch: plays the actual game, spends his time clearing it out because he feels compelled to it, is attached to the idea of winning.

Untermensch: ??? doesn't exist in Nietzsche, only in Nazi philosophy.

It's all rather a dumb analogy though, because no Ubermensch would do something so pedestrian and dulling as playing a video game.
>>
>>295643
He who pursues his will unrestricted
>>
>>296126
The the Ubermensch mains spycrab?
>>
>>296126
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Last_man
>>
>>296139
Last men are not untermensch, they are pretty much par for the course.

I would actually argue that video games do a pretty good job at creating ubermenschen, because taking their aggression out on pixelated characters lets them be pansy fluffboys irl

>>296136
they would play spycrab while taking charge of their team and leading them to victory, and laughing his head off if they lost. during a high-level tournament.

or really whatever the fuck he felt like. the ubermensch simply has spirit that elevates him above his peers, he's really impossible to describe in human terms because the term literally means ABOVE men, aka not human in any regard.
>>
>>296157
>I would actually argue that video games do a pretty good job at creating ubermenschen, because taking their aggression out on pixelated characters lets them be pansy fluffboys irl
Excuse me, creating LAST MEN****
>>
>>296132
Nah, that's just the master moralists.
>>
>>296104
The best explanation that I've read.
>>
videogames are decadent anyway. not a good idea for illustration.
>>
>>297070
Then you don't understand the concept in the slightest.
>>
If you behave like an ubermensch and "master" life, are you still counted as one if you don't enjoy it? This is what I'm grappling with. If you fit all the other qualities, but don't enjoy it, are you still an ubermensch, or is happiness part of it?
>>
>>297091
this af.
>>
>>297097
Men don't want pleasure, only the English psychologist does.

You're spooked af if you think pleasure is still some ultimate "goal" that dictates how you should live your life.
>>
>>297106
I've given up on building life around pleasure itself, since it's nearly impossible and only lasts a short moment if ever reached. I only mean if being an ubermensch by itself requires being happy, since I hear a lot that part of being mature is learning to be happy.
>>
>>295966
This
>>
>>297097
The goal isn't happiness, it's to embrace life. That includes things that are unhappy. It's sort of the opposite of aburdism, nothing is absurd, everything has meaning.
"What doesn't kill you makes you stronger" is supposed to be your mindset.

In general happiness isn't a 'goal' but you do become more happy because you stop denying aspects of life.
>>
>>297130
>I hear a lot that part of being mature is learning to be happy.
From who, delusional wage slave Americans who haven't done a shit of anything significant and will die without knowing the taste of anything grand?

The ubermensch will be lighthearted and will love to laugh, but you're mistaking pleasure for full of spirit. No, "being happy" does not come into the equation.
>>
>>297130
i dont know, on one hand nietzsche didnt want asceticism, because there is secret slave joy in it (first stage camel in zarathustra).
on the other hand he praised the satisfaction after productive exhaustion and creation. maybe this distinction was too rigid and theoretical because self-exploitation always has an ascetic component.
in human all too human he wrote that art should be created "at 2/3 of maximum possible power", kinda resembling the sprezzatura mode. but it's from his middle phase and not his final word.
>>
>>297137
"Embracing life" seems ambiguous but I won't bother asking more before reading some of his work.

>>297145
Not from any specific group, no. It's the idea that part of the skill needed in life is knowing how to enjoy it, with enjoyment being the end-goal.

What's your definition of significance? I'm interested.
>>
Diogenes
>>
>>297180
>seems ambiguou
don't expect anything coherent, because it isn't and could never be. if you accept a materialist worldview, as nietzsche certainly did, and a subjectivist theory of knowledge, as he also did, then you completely do away with normative notions of value or ethics. in other words, any view of life is as good as any other, which is meaningless.
>>
>>297212
Then is the goal only to push one's view of life to the extreme, regardless of what it is?
>>
>>295643
>What is nietzsches definition of the Übermensch?

There is no definition.
He says he creates his own values, but doesn't explain how this is done, or why "normal" people can't do it
He just said "Napoleon and Caesar were close" or some shit
>>
>>297212
Nietzsche's epistemology was perspectivism.
And he did not see any view of life as being as good as any other, he saw any view of life that valued the world as being as good as any other view of life that valued the world. The act of valuing is what's important, not the value itself.
>>
>>297241
nietzsche has a rather confused answer for that question, but take note, these presuppositions i mentioned prevent him or any other person from becoming an authority on such a subject. it becomes a meaningless question, because if matter is all that exists (materialism) and if we can never properly know reality (subjectivism) then it is impossible for anyone to know anything about anything.
>>
>>297212
such normative notions arent exclusive to moral realism or cognitivism.
a moral non-cognitivist like nieztsche can still agree with other non-cognitivists about what they think are good and bad ethics. the transvaluation of values changes the framework, but it's not "beyond good and bad" or "beyond common decency".
>>
>>297264
>Perspectivism rejects objective metaphysics as impossible, claiming that no evaluation of objectivity can transcend cultural formations or subjective designations.
i rest my case.
>>
>>297269
where do you get the impression that nietzsche is a materialist? will to power is meant metaphysically. prometheus is an idealist.
overman is an idealistic attempt to escape the natural evolution and not end up as vegetable man.
>>
>>297291
>Richard Schacht, in his interpretation of Nietzsche's thought, argues that this can be expanded into a revised form of "objectivity" in relation to "subjectivity" as an aggregate of singular viewpoints that illuminate, for example, a particular idea in seemingly self-contradictory ways but upon closer inspection would reveal a difference of contextuality and of rule by which such an idea (e.g., that is fundamentally perspectival) can be validated. Therefore, it can be said each perspective is subsumed into and, taking account of its individuated context, adds to the overall objective measure of a proposition under examination.
>>
>>297323
interesting reading, but rather confused and misleading. i don't buy it unless you can point to a very clear statement of his where he pronounces such a view.

in any case, his subjectivism alone would result in the same self-defeat i detail.
>>
>>297241
The point is that you need to find meaning in everything, including the painful moments. Nietzsche rejects the idea that life is about avoiding suffering, suffering should be embraced. He also rejects morality as the guiding force. It's something you really need to read because he operates from a completely different world view.

>>297212
There are clear consequences for certain types of lifes. The life of the Last Man is the spiritual death of mankind (and probably the literal death too since the last man would see no reason to have children).

The idea that Nietzche thinks "everything is equal" is absurd the man is a lot about hierarchies. The reason you should strive to be an Ubermench, even if you can't pull it off, is because the Ubermench is above the Mench. He possess the qualities necessary for the higher type of man like a Goethe, Da Vinci, or Alexander to succeed. While the opposite of the Ubermench has the societies that lead to death, stagnation, and self-imposed slavery.
>>
File: 1312403912773.jpg (48KB, 309x336px) Image search: [Google]
1312403912773.jpg
48KB, 309x336px
>>297329
>in his interpretation
>in his interpretation
>in his interpretation
>>
>>297352
>The idea that Nietzche thinks "everything is equal" is absurd the man is a lot about hierarchies.
i never said that he thinks that, learn to read. i said that it's what his presuppositions logically entail.
>>
File: 1447473110340.jpg (89KB, 829x776px) Image search: [Google]
1447473110340.jpg
89KB, 829x776px
>>297354
>in your interpretation
>in your interpretation
>in your interpretation
>>
>>295643
The Ubermensch is self-determined.

The mensch is determined by others. Others tell him what is right, what to do and even what he should want to do (e.g., have babies, have a job, make great works, advance own nation/race/class, etc). The mensch's work is an extension of the work of others.

But I disregard this distinction. I feel subsequent thinkers breached many of the same of topics as Nietzsche with greater clarity of thought, if not as much passion.
>>
>>297338
from first chapter of beyond good and evil in the couple of aphorisms where he mentions the will to power.
in BGW #10 he wrote that certain "puritanic fanatics" would rather get hold of a certain nothing than an uncertain something. this "uncertain something" must be metaphysical. nietzsche obviously prefers it to materialist truths which would lead down the road to nihilism.
>>
>>297408
ah yes, the making a mountain out of a molehill method of exegesis. well i can find plenty of counter statements, whose meanings are loud and clear.

"In some remote corner of the universe, poured out and glittering in innumerable solar systems, there once was a star on which clever animals invented knowledge. That was the highest and most mendacious minute of "world history"—yet only a minute. After nature had drawn a few breaths the star grew cold, and the clever animals had to die."

loud and clear
>>
>>297456
thats not from his official work. just notes. and it's obviously connected to eternal recurrence, the pessimistic "hammer" to kill off nihilists and shallow optimists.

and the first chapter of BGE isnt a molehill, it's the central part of his whole philosophical OC.
>i can find plenty of counter statements
not in the case of will to power
>>
>>297137
The ending of gay science has a great section about music: our music is joyous not to replace or hide the blues, but rather to play along with it, that the ideal life is one that learns to enjoy even the lows.

>What's your definition of significance? I'm interested.

Unique and powerful in the human current. Most people don't do anything of note.
>>
>>297456
Read The Gay Science 373 - he basically shits on your materialist nothingness.
Thread posts: 57
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.