[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why has capital punishment continued to be a contreversial issue?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 4

File: 1428321494090.jpg (26KB, 338x338px) Image search: [Google]
1428321494090.jpg
26KB, 338x338px
Why has capital punishment continued to be a contreversial issue?
>>
File: AREIZOO.gif (33KB, 296x289px) Image search: [Google]
AREIZOO.gif
33KB, 296x289px
>>290030

BECAUSE DEATH IS STILL VIRTUALLY UNIVERSALLY "TABOO" DUE TO MOST PERSONS BEING INSTINCTIVELY AFRAID OF DEATH BECAUSE THEY DO NOT COMPREHEND LIFE; THIS IS SO ONLY IN SOCIETIES COMPRISED OF CONSCIOUS PERSONS; IN SOCIETIES COMPRISED OF UNCONSCIOUS PERSONS; EXEMPLUM GRATIA: WITH AMAZONIAN TRIBES, FEAR OF DEATH IS VIRTUALLY NONEXISTENT, BECAUSE THERE IS NO CONCEPT OF "LIFE" AS THERE IS IN CONSCIOUS CIVILIZATIONS.
>>
Because it became obsolete with a prison system as advanced and extensive as what we have today. Why would we still kill people? For spite?
>>
>>290074
Some crimes are so outrageous that society insists on adequate punishment, because the wrongdoer deserves it, irrespective of whether it is a deterrent or not
>>
>>290030
because muh talion law
>>
>>290132

No one deserves it because free will does not exist.

It is wrong to take the life of a conscious being.
>>
>>290132
>deserves
Probably one of the greatest buzzwords of all time. Whenever someone can find no reasonable argument for why a certain punishment is in order save "muh feelings", they "deserved" it.
>>
File: download (2).jpg (6KB, 246x205px) Image search: [Google]
download (2).jpg
6KB, 246x205px
>>290069
> SOCIETIES COMPRISED OF UNCONSCIOUS PERSONS

P R O V E I T
R
O
V
E
I
T
>>
>>290074
Prison is more inhumane and less effective overall than execution and public flogging
Prove me wrong
>>
>>290233
No one can because W-WELL WE FEED THEM AND GIVE THEM BEDS
>>
>>290208
>>290217
>people who don't know Lord Justice Dennings
Plebs get out
>>
>>290233
>>290251

Americans detected.

You are allowed to have a prison system that doesn't involve gang rape you know.

And in direct response to the point you can release someone from prison if they turn out to have been erroneously convicted. You can't release them from death.
>>
>>290230

"PROVE" WHAT?
>>
>everyone using muh feelings as arguments
It's controversial because it's something that has been with humanity for a long time. The ancient laws of china had capital punishment, Hammurabi's Code had the death penalty for 25 crimes (murder was not among them), Athens had the death penalty for every crime committed. In cases of life without parole we might as well shoot the guy instead of letting him leech until his death in the prison cell.
>>
>>290274
It's more humane to kill someone erroneously than imprison him and completely ruin his life and make the rest of it a living heel due to institutionalization and the public never thinking he's innocent and treating him as such.
>>
>>290306
*hell
>>
>>290274
>anywhere on the planet but America
>relevant
Stop being so insecure about your small participation in world affairs
>>
>>290311

I knew I was right.

>>290306

Prison shouldn't be a living hell.
>>
>>290030
People who have lived sheltered lives have a tendency to think they're above or too 'civilized' for violence - such was the way of our ancestors thus it is wrong and outdated.
>>
>>290303
>murder was not among them

It's been a long time since I studied in at college, but I think it was death for lower class murdering higher class (I don't remember the names, mesopotamia is not my specialty at all).
>>
>>290030
This seems more like a /pol/ topic.
>>
File: GAULS WERE TOTALLY VIKINGS.png (1MB, 800x1085px) Image search: [Google]
GAULS WERE TOTALLY VIKINGS.png
1MB, 800x1085px
>>290069
I hate you. Could you just write legibly for once? I guess asking a tripfag not to be retarded is a bit much.
>>
>>290306
>It's more humane to kill a person and thus utterly destroy their being forever, damning them to nonexistence instead of keeping them in a prison for a couple decades.
>>
why do you think op?

you're talking about state sanctioned murder
>>
>>290074
for revenge

I don't know why society looks down upon revenge so much. I mean it's basically the primary reason for the court/prison system.

without revenge, there would be no need or motivation to follow law

some crimes are so bad that we think any punishment less than death is not good enough

because we come from a society in which there is a hugely high value on life. we consider being punished but alive better than not being alive at all.

and so we kill people. we say, you do not even deserve to be conscious. you do not even deserve to be punished, because in order to punish you, you must be conscious. because we hold consciousness with such a high value - all types of consciousness, we think that to kill people is the highest punishment.

if you rape and murder, or torture, or kill someone while commiting another crime, you do not even deserve to be aware of your punishment. you do not even deserve to be locked in jail. even that, would be too much of a privilege for you
>>
>>290069
when the attentionwhoring from tripfagging just isn't enough
>>
>>290208
that makes no sense. if free will does not exist then whether someone is executed or not is also not a free act. even our debates on whether it is wrong or not, and our subsequent positions on the practice are determined. if we have no free will, then *nothing* is a free act.

whether we change the law to accomodate determinism or not, is also determined. we have no control at all

but luckily, reality is not determined.
>>
>>290217
why do you have such a dismissive view of "muh feelings"

you don't seem to understand that arguments would have no worth if you didn't feel strongly either way

someone could make the most logical agument but if you didn't feel a thing it wouldn't sway you

people do deserve things. if you are a bad person who does bad things, you deserve to be punished. calling it "muh feels" isn't an argument against this. yes, I feel he should be punished. what's wrong with that?
>>
>>290306
dude I doubt you've been in prison before

it's not just constant unrelenting suffering. humans adapt and get used to almost any situation.

I've been in prison and at first it sucked but you just get used to it and it becomes your life. you have buddies, goals, enemies, purpose, hobbies, food, cooking, drugs, things in the future (eg court dates, release date), tv, library, classes, church, instruments, music, visits, etc

I mean it's not disneyland but it's not worse than not existing at all, for most inmates.
Thread posts: 29
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.