[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>no diogenes thread Why was he so based /his/? Where can

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 51
Thread images: 8

File: Diogenes of Sinope.jpg (72KB, 500x553px) Image search: [Google]
Diogenes of Sinope.jpg
72KB, 500x553px
>no diogenes thread

Why was he so based /his/? Where can I learn more about him?
>>
>Why was he so based /his/?

Read his works you mongoloid. Don't base your opinion on shitty memes.
>>
>>285946
>his works
what?
>>
>le epic meme philosopher
>>
>>285959
He wrote letters to his friends
>>
He was a Cynic philosopher
>>
>>285946
The myth is more important than the man in this case, and half of the stories about him are probably fake anyway. Still as a character he's more significant than pretty much any western philosopher I can think of, bar maybe St Augustine.
>>
>>285941

>a smelly, antisocial, mega-autistic bum
>spewing lots of pseudointellectual crap that was open trolling
>based
>>
File: Bastein-Lepage_Diogenes.jpg (755KB, 1800x1442px) Image search: [Google]
Bastein-Lepage_Diogenes.jpg
755KB, 1800x1442px
>>285970
Are those concidered real? I haven't read any but seem to remember some people questioning their authenticity.
>>
All you have to do is pluck a chicken and tell everyone it's a man and show ten year olds how to masturbate and you're a philosopher.
>>
>>286296
Well he did tell Alexander the great to fuck off
>>
>>286305
Carrying a lit lamp in the daytime saying you're looking for an honest man

DEEP BRAH

I bet he never even questioned as to why he was looking for an honest man.
>>
>>286241
>as a character he's more significant than pretty much any western philosopher I can think of

Socrates.
>>
>>286319

Why not? Not much else to do but look for the rarest thing in the universe.
>>
>>286241
Plato
>>
>>286319
I think he was a smelly autist but he did devote his whole life to cynicism.
Maybe he wasnt a great philosopher, maybe he was, theres no way to know because none of his works have survived; but he did help pave the way for cynicism in general.
>>
>>286330
Why not is not good enough in my opinion.
>>
>>286296
He also did a shitload of writing if I remember correctly, but none of it survived, leaving on dialogues with other philosophers.
>>
>>286325
>>286333
>as a character
>>
>>286343
Apparently 10 books and some letters but who knows, not me.

I don't even know if he really did wank off with a 10 year old or pluck a chicken, it's just classical tales.
A thing I DID like about Diogenes is that he ate wherever he wanted (Or so we are told).
>>
>>286345
>Socrates
>not a character
>>
>>286339

fuck your opinion
>>
>>286345
This is not something that negates what either of us has said.
>>
>>286356
fuck U
>>
>>286354

he existed, never wrote a damn thing though cause YOLO (cause you gonna just forget shit and recur eternally)
>>
>>286354
>>286358
Socrates and Plato exist as philosophers with whole dialogues intact. Diogenes is a meme. But a powerful meme
>>
>>286325
the whole martyr thing is pretty good i suppose
>>
>>286367
What the fuck?
>>
File: 1423053130997.jpg (28KB, 559x556px) Image search: [Google]
1423053130997.jpg
28KB, 559x556px
>>286367
>He thinks Socrates and Plato are different people
>>
>>286366
Apparently he did write but none of it is preserved.
>>
>>286393
Socrates didn't write a word and was actually very much against writing, often telling his students to not write too.

Diogenes wrote but none of his works survived.
>>
>>286398
Whoops, thought he was talking about Diogenes.
>>
>>286389

They were, but Socrates never wrote anything.

He's noted and satirized in The Clouds by Aristophanes, a contemporary.
>>
File: diogenes.jpg (1MB, 1800x1322px) Image search: [Google]
diogenes.jpg
1MB, 1800x1322px
>>
Truly he was the first and greatest shitposter.

All of us are but petty shadows of this man.
>>
File: australian man.jpg (185KB, 1000x620px) Image search: [Google]
australian man.jpg
185KB, 1000x620px
>>286438
Behold, an Australian man!
>>
>>286676
We've already established that Luther was the first shitposter.
>>
>>285941
>be diogenes
>be at slave market
>look around for a good man
>check to see if he obeys you well
>tell him to buy you
>he buys you
>>
>>286694
Luther was a shit shitposter. Atleast Diogenes was clinclicly retarded and cynicism didn't destroy christiandom.
>>
>>285970
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cynic_epistles

Same letters?
>None of the letters are genuine. Most of the letters of Diogenes were probably written in the 1st century BCE, whereas the letters of Crates, some of which seem to be based on the Diogenes letters, probably date from the 1st century CE.
>>
>>286438

Truly, one of the greatest shitposters of antiquity
>>
>>286438
He established shitposting as an art. We wouldn´t be here without this based motherfucker.

Also "muh sturbation"
>>
>>286407
He is also mentioned in the writings of Xenophon. A contemporary and student of Socrates.
>>
>>286438
>if I werent the conqueror of known world, I would shitpost IRL

>>286694
Come on, Luther May be the best but Diogenes is definitely the first
>>
Does anyone have any recommendations for learning about diogenese?
>>
>>286343
>He also did a shitload of writing if I remember correctly,
you don't remember correctly then

why would a person who despised the very idea of his body being buried and asked for it to be thrown to the dogs care about writing books for posterity to ponder over?
git real f a m
>>
>>288291
He wrote 10 books apparently
>>
>>288295
lies
>>
>>286319

>I bet he never even questioned as to why he was looking for an honest man.

Jesus' he who is without sin cast the first stone
>>
>>288355
Why didnt jesus throw the first stone then
>>
File: alexander-and-diogenes.jpg (121KB, 720x562px) Image search: [Google]
alexander-and-diogenes.jpg
121KB, 720x562px
> To Plato's definition of a man as an animal, bipedal and featherless, Diogenes plucked a chicken and declared, "Here is Plato's man."

>And, when he saw the child of a courtesan, whom he compared to a "deadly honeyed potion," throwing stones at a crowd, he cried out: "Take care you don't hit your father."

>Seeing a bad archer, he sat down beside the target so get out of harm's way.

>Aristotle dines when it seems good to King Philip, but Diogenes when he himself pleases.

>Being asked where in Greece he saw good men, he replied, "'Good men nowhere, but good boys at Sparta."

>He once begged alms of a statue, and, when asked why he did so, replied, "To get practice in being refused."

>To the question what wine he found pleasant to drink, he replied, "That for which other people pay."

How can one man just not give so few fucks?
Thread posts: 51
Thread images: 8

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.