[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/his/ what is the world's oldest state still up? I think

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 3

File: 1434644634332.jpg (1005KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
1434644634332.jpg
1005KB, 1920x1080px
/his/ what is the world's oldest state still up?
I think the vatican, but I'm probably wrong
>>
Ignorance.
>>
>>280038
I'm pretty sure it's San Marino
>>
The Vatican's less than a hundred years old m8.

I think San Marino and Japan are the best answers. Japan was conquered and occupied for a few years, but it was still ruled by the same Emperor that whole time.
>>
>>280038
San Marino has never been conquered!!!!!!!
>>
>>280051
The Japanese royal family is the longest remaining line of monarchs.

But not the oldest state. Japanese state changed hands several times in history.
>>
>>280042
You could've made an Egypt joke with state of denial and you blew it
>>
>>280051
I'd be willing to bet on this. It's been a state under the same dynasty and throne for about 1,500 years, there's just been changes of name and form of government. Japan has always had a Yamato as monarch. Their exact role has changes depending on the era, but the title has always been there. They've always been the "Emperor of Japan", not the "Emperor of the Kamakura/Muromachi/Tokugawa Shogunate".
Wikipedia puts it like this
>In much the same sense as the British Crown, the Chrysanthemum Throne is an abstract metonymic concept that represents the monarch and the legal authority for the existence of the government.

I would argue that, just as long as the British crown in it's current form exists, the state of the United Kingdom exists. Same goes for the Chrysanthemum Throne. Until the Throne is abolished, I'd call Japan a single continuous state.
>>
>>280191
So modern Japan is the same as the empire of Japan?

They never fessed up for their warcrimes?

WW2 never ended on the China/Pacific front?
>>
If any of you fucks say Afghanistan I'll slap you with my dick
>>
>>280051
No, otherwise it'd be England/The UK. Even though the exact family in charge hasn't been the same, they're still distantly related.

The Vatican makes more sense, or more accurately the Papacy. It's always retained a certain amount of territory to go with its religious authority.
>>
Iran, perhaps since Cyrus
>>
>>280051
I'd go with this, too, the Emperor of Japan traces his reign back some 2600 years.
>>
File: n-yasukuni-a-20151021.jpg (4MB, 5000x3677px) Image search: [Google]
n-yasukuni-a-20151021.jpg
4MB, 5000x3677px
>>280199
>They never fessed up for their warcrimes?
Oh, they did. Totally. Seriously this time.
[pilgrimage to Yasukuni intensifies]
>>
>>280038
Ethiopia, seconded by Japan.

The Vatican became independent in 1929. And before that, when the imperial legation left Rome in 754.
>>
>>280756
He's so tiny
>>
Denmark
>>
File: SAMURAI YOU HEAR.png (2MB, 952x1254px) Image search: [Google]
SAMURAI YOU HEAR.png
2MB, 952x1254px
>>280769
WHITE PIGGU GO HOME
I AM SAMURAI
天皇陛下万歳
>>
>>280757
Yeah, I think those two are the closed there are to unconquered unless you count tiny countries like Singapore and Monaco.
>>
>>280038
Iran's pretty ancient. As is Armenia. Korea, China and Japan are all really old too, and out of them I'd say probably China is the oldest.
>>
>>280756
Reminder that the Emperor is literally God on earth, disproving the false doctrine of ath**sm

TENNO HEIKA BANZAI
>>
>>280815
>>280927
/jp/ go home, you're drunk
>>
>>280199
Instead of "unconditional surrender" they negotiated up to "one conditional surrender". That condition being that the Emperor would remain the Emperor and get off more or less scott free, so long as he renounced his divinity.
>>
>>280948
>I'll renounce my divinity ;-)
>>
I've read that the U.S. is the oldest continuous government with no coups or significant changes (Restricting the monarchs power, coups, etc). San Marino for example was taken over by Fascists.
>>
>>281074
'Reduction in monarchical power' is a pretty hard thing to define though. And different organs of the American government have gained and lost power over the years. It's definitely one of the oldest governments though. UK and Sweden are I think the only countries that haven't been occupied or experienced a violent revolution since before 1787.
>>
>>280756
>These stone face serious dudes in their long bags
What the fuck's up with the zoot suits, Japan?
>>
>>281568
Being fashionabru means dishonouring wise ancestors
>>
>>280855
>Japan
>closest there is to unconquered
Bitchu prease. I know this is a Japanese crochet pattern exchange but for real, there have to be some limits to the weeabooing. Just for one example the US is significantly less conquered than Japan.
>>
>>281579
Their wise jazz ancestors? What?
>>
>>280902
china is pretty much the inverse of japan or england, the territory has remained continuous for like 2000 years, however it has been conquered and reformed many times throughout it's history, each time forming a different state, with a unique governing entity
Thread posts: 31
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.