[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

2000 years from now, do you think America will be remembered

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 116
Thread images: 15

File: image.jpg (30KB, 377x213px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
30KB, 377x213px
2000 years from now, do you think America will be remembered as fondly as Ancient Rome is today?
>>
Nah
>>
>>279237
Depends. If it's still there, then it'll be remembered like China: whatever its past legacy will be tainted/improved by 2000 Year old America (i.e. Everything Imperial Chinese did equated with communism by dumbfucks).

But if it breaks then only the component states will remember it like Rome.
>>
>>279237

No because the US isn't similar to Rome in any way, it's just today's superpower. More comparable to Britain, France, or Spain in their day.
>>
No.

The British will be the Romans of the future. Works like Leviathan will be translated into the Arabic that the British will be speaking by then, and Shakespeare will be Sheikh Sallar
>>
>>279237
Ancient Rome is only remembered fondly by plebs who forget all of its brutal aspects like the infanticide and many exterminations.
>>
>>279289

>Leviathan

For some reason I imagine Hobbes being very popular among the arabs.
>>
>ancient greece is viewed as if it was great because of democracy
>it was actually mob rule
>>
>>279436
Which is exactly what Democracy is anyway.
>>
>>279459

If your country actually has a decent constitution and follows it, then no.
>>
Rome is literally a meme civilization
>>
>>279258
>America still around in 2000 years
wew lad

But no, Rome's memory is treasured by the West. The powers that be looking back in 2000 years won't be western.
>>
>>279237
In 2000 years its capital city will be flooded, so no.
>>
>>279470
>implying you can't reinterpret the constitution as you see fit

Do you think the founding fathers envisioned gay marriage and black presidents?
>>
>>279237
2000 years from now it will be viewed as the ancestor state of the unified interplanetary government. Normies will have a good impression of it, angry teenagers not so much.
>>
Depends if interplanetary and interstellar colonization becomes a thing.

If not, I imagine the demographic-economic paradox will do quite a number on Western civilization, and the entire industrialized world in general.
>>
>>280508
I know they envisioned signing me up to a social contract I had no say in which meant I would have to pay taxes by force.

That's pretty immoral of them IMO so I don't hold much in their words.
Also they owned slaves.
>>
>>281747
>I would have to pay taxes by force.
Nice meme. No one is making you stay.
>>
>>281779
>if you don't like it leave

Even nicer meme
>>
>>281852
>>281779
Ladies, you're both beautiful.
>>
>>280493
>The powers that be looking back in 2000 years won't be western.
I also have a feeling they won't be western, if humanity survives for another 2000 years anyway.

It would probably be a place or group of countries that we wouldn't even dream today of being worldwide superpowers.

Could anyone envision Europe dominating the world when the Middle East,China,India were so much more richer?
>>
With how development of humanity has gone so far in the last how many years, the question would be much more applicable if you asked 500 years from now. Maybe 1000, but by 2000 years from now, if we're still here, we would be thought of as an older humanity. Why then, no one would probably even remember anything anyone did now by then.
>>
>>281889
Poland is next super power.
>>
>>281889
It probably won't even be countries by then
>>
>>279237
dumb question, humanity would have destroyed itself before 2000 more years pass.

hypothetically speaking however, yes. The United States has made strong number of contributions to the world, and it would be remembered for the strong innovation it had before the 21st century stagnation. It will be hated by some for how it brought nuclear arms to the world, how it acted as an international police country, and sneer at the rampant corruption disguised as "lobbying".

There will be people who like Rome-haters, focus on the internal struggles and ugly culture and sluggish political action, and call the United States a shitty nation

There will be people who glorify the United States, lamenting that they couldn't be as free as them or admiring how powerful the United States military was, or talk about how great the not-fat people looked. They read books about the graffiti, sniff, and whisper to themselves about how great American culture was.

none of this fucking matters though because humanity is going extinct soon whether it be from destroying the environment beyond repair, a nuclear war, or a celestial catastrophe like a solar flare or asteroid hitting the earth.
>>
Scenario: If the US were to "fall" as a nation, what would the resulting world look like?

Would the US mainland be taken over by other superpowers? Would different US regions form their own countries?
>>
Not as a Rome, but definately a major player in the whole scheme of East vs. West for the Cold War and all that jazz.
I'm pretty sure the lasting cultural effects of America will definately be felt in later genrations, as Coca-Cola is a word recognized in every single language around the world. In a way, we've a pretty decent cultural sway over the current world, as everyone always totes they are [Nation X's] Hollywood and so-forth, much like Greek and Phoenician influences on the Mediterranean cultures. Whether people in the future will seek to emulate us, I have no idea, but, given the fondness for cultures of the past, I don't doubt it.
Additionally, our ideals as one of the first major Democratic - Republic nations and the whole "life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness" probably would serve to inspire future peoples to achieve freedom and representation. While we haven't created that much in terms of new laws or architecture (like the Greeks and Roman, cue the numerous European Renaissance) definately our scientific progress (cheap & affordable electricity, , NASA, Wright Brothers, Manhatten Project, etc) will be an important point we leave behind.
But, isn't it rediculous to compare a nation to Rome? To look back on the past and trying to emulate former glory is nothing like trying to achieve new honors for yourself. Rome was Rome. The UK has been the British Empire (which is still creating its legacy/ has left many great legacies, including the US). The USA is the USA.
>>
>>281747
Do you exclusively drive on private, dirt roads?
>>
File: United_Gets_of_America.png (411KB, 1314x876px) Image search: [Google]
United_Gets_of_America.png
411KB, 1314x876px
>>282008
Forgot my image
>>
>>282002
world would collapse due to globalization and the ensuing collapse of the world economy causes shit to hit the fucking fan.
>>
>>282010
No but I pay taxes, however I would much prefer to drive on private roads, I know private roads here are of a lot better quality and better maintained than public roads
>>
>>281982
not if we build Diaspar
>>
>>282044
thats hundreds of thousands of years from now, way more than 2000
>>
File: 1419121738822.jpg (61KB, 599x543px) Image search: [Google]
1419121738822.jpg
61KB, 599x543px
>>279292
>infanticide
nothing wrong with this according to women.
>>
>>282008
>In a way, we've a pretty decent cultural sway over the current world, as everyone always totes they are [Nation X's] Hollywood and so-forth, much like Greek and Phoenician influences on the Mediterranean cultures. Whether people in the future will seek to emulate us, I have no idea, but, given the fondness for cultures of the past, I don't doubt it.
this is what americans believe

you have no culture, you have markets and the ideology of Commoditization of what was not Commoditized a few decades or centuries before.
>>
>>281709
So I think this is exactly the most likely. The inevitable world government of 2700 will be US based and so will The Federation of Planets. Or it will be a UN/League of Nations thing that will primarily sponsored by the US.

And angsty teens will fucking hate it
>>
>>281958
Yeah, I honestly see large, regional confederacies as the next logical step in the progression of the way in which we govern ourselves. Who knows what will happen after that.
>>
>>282168
If we lined up all the men and started shooting they would run away.
Also it would be a long line.
>>
>>282175
Care to explain you reasoning behind anything you just said or do you just want to bait for its own sake?
>>
>>282168
*pro-choice women who are being logically consistent
yeah, there's literally nothing wrong with infanticide if utilitarianism is true.
>>
>not being progressive in 2015
top patriarchal.
>>
Who's ready for americas first dictator and then co dictator when americas punic wars happens
>>
>>282175
>you have no culture
>he wrote in English on an American imageboard on the Internet
People only say "Americans have no culture" because American culture is now the baseline by which all other world cultures are judged. It's roughly equivalent to a fish saying there's no such thing as water.
>>
>>282652
this desu senpai.
>>
Only if we become spaceborn during America's preeminence. Then America will be remembered as the father of human spacefaring civilization, like Rome is remembered as the father of Western civilization

>in b4 Greekucks
>>
>>279237
I like to believe America and to a lesser degree the UN are some sort of "final stage" before a new kind of government/social entity begins emerging on a larger scale (not necessarily global). It's a country that was literally invented out of nothing just mixing up immigant identities and slowly coalesced into something that had never been seen before, American culture and values are extremely distinctive and have reached every corner of the world, even if more often than not, the nation and its citizens do not practice what they preach. Simply put, nowadays most countries, whether they admit it or not, pledge service to ideals and beliefs very rooted in or spawned in American culture and thought, coated with their own native cultural "toppings" of course.
>>
>>282701
I agree. As time goes on, I think borders will be seen as a more arbitrary thing as people are more able and willing to communicate with foreigners. There will still be distinctive differences between areas, but the difference between America and Canada is simply much less profound than the difference between Bangladesh and Canada. Supranational entities will reflect this.
>>
>>279237
Probably will be remembered like Rome bu only if there is a 2nd dark age (nuclear war)
>>
>>282713
t.b.h m8 europe will probably be part of the islamic caliphate before that happens
>>
>>282723
Fortunately one of our most cherished American ideals is waving nuclear weapons at people that threaten us, so we won't be kebabbed any time soon.
>>
>>279237
If there is still a West worth mentioning in the future then we will be remember fondly.

America was designed after Rome. Like Rome, the inherent structural failings in our Republic will doom us.

Both the British Empire and the United States were and are echos of Rome.

You will find the desire for grandeur and dominace that lies at the heart of Western Civilization lies in Rome.

As I mentioned previously, we will be fondly remember if there is a West left to remember us. Otherwise we shall be a footnote in the pages of history written by another (not Western) civilization.
>>
>>282002
The states would form their own regional blocks. The resulting civil war would make the Balkans conflict look like child's play.

Each side worldwide will back a block or state. The game of geo-politics will continue as it always has.
>>
File: Alexis_de_tocqueville_cropped.jpg (58KB, 424x512px) Image search: [Google]
Alexis_de_tocqueville_cropped.jpg
58KB, 424x512px
>>279470
Democracy is a social state, not a political one.
>>
>>280493
>wew lad
China managed to be around 2000 year's. The empire from 200's BC to 1911 arguably.

Even if we argue about foreign & eras of seperation they managed cultural identity to survive.

Whose to say Amerilards can't do it?
>>
>>282745
France and UK have nukes too.
>>
>>282805
>Whose to say Amerilards can't do it?
because they have nothing but their old constitutions and their markets.
>>
>>283159
And? It's a 200 Year old country. No shit shit is still starting to form an identity.
>>
>>282652
>>People only say "Americans have no culture" because American culture is now the baseline by which all other world cultures are judged.
no, it is because america is about entertainment, leisure on the side of the demand, the recipient, and business on the side of supply.

americans are a cheap version of the romans.
>>
File: 1289577375268.jpg (13KB, 208x199px) Image search: [Google]
1289577375268.jpg
13KB, 208x199px
>>279237
>americans unironically comparing themselves to rome
>>
>>283170
>it is because america is about entertainment
What? That makes zero sense.
>>
>>283437
Let's not be intellectually dishonest, the similarities are very clear, even right down to their decline.
>>
>>283830
it does makes sense. It's through the entertainment industry that America makes itself known. Trust me, people around the world remember the Simpsons, not the Waltons.
>>
>>283948
That's an extreamly simplified understanding of it. The U.S. has influence in nearly every country in the form of subsidies, food aid, military deployments, diplomats and is even responsible for directly building infrastructure. The entertainment industry is a small portion of its reach. For good and bad, its influence is considerable.
>>
>>283836
US has been a super power for like 70 years. What the fuck are you talking about.
>>
>>284100
What do you define as a "superpower" exactly?
>>
>>279237
No. Americans will be remembered as people who lucked onto the greatest natural resource bounty in history and used it all to bully the rest of the world. Once the resources are gone Americans will return to a state their character grants them, poverty under a tyranny.
>>
>>284807
How's that different than from how Rome was viewed in the centuries following its decline?
>>
>>282008
>architecture
Sky scrapers m8
>>
>>280506

Exactly.

It will be a myth. It happens to all flooded nations. Just look at Atlantis.
>>
>>284807

>fight a long War of Independence against a major world power.
>Jefferson purchases a metric fuckton of territory from Napoleon at cost, like a champ
>settle that shit over the course of 100 years
>oh yeah and fight Indians, Mexicans, and each other the entire time
>y-you just got l-lucky

Europoor pls
>>
>>282002
The US falling apart is probable in the long term, but if it happens within the next thirty years without any political seperation it'll be a goddamn bloodbath, think a cross between the first us civil war and the chinese one.
Also the economy would go to shit.
>>
>>279237
No. Influential sure but not near as much as Rome.
>>
american legacy will not be as bright as the roman one because other countries do what the americans in comparable quantity or quality . so as soon as that the americans will be mentioned [generally as the first ones to do something], there will be other countries mentioned doing the same thing more or less close in time.
>>
>>282723
>you will never see a United State of Europe or China
Feels bad man. And yes EU right now is a disaster
>>
>>280493
Doesn't matter if future powers are Western or not
Just because France/Britain/Germany all occupied the same continent as Rome doesn't mean they had a whole lot of similarities

Even today, Asians (particularly Taiwanese/Koreans/Japanese) have great admiration for America, at least for their success and the economic prosperity they helped bring to those countries

>mfw realizing DC is the Fourth Rome
>>
>>283437
M8, there are so many parallels you could write a 50 page essay on everything that's pretty much exactly the same, right down to the war economy, culture, and politics.

Also, the whole idea of the United States rising in the shadow of Europe is almost an exact parallel to Rome rising in the shadow of Hellenic cultures. The military comparisons are obvious, but really it's the type of person. There is nobody closer to the entitlement of a roman citizen than an American citizen. It's the same person in a different time, the champions of civilization that are just sort of an 8/10 civilization and all the 9/10 civilizations talk shit but they can't produce enough 9/10 guys to match the legions of 8/10 guys the romans got. Americans win their wars through industrial domination, infrastructure, and technological superiority. They never have the best stuff, but it's good enough to be mass produced and completely overshadow the competition's ability. The romans were the exact same way, and the tendency of presidents to abuse their power is just like the tendency of consuls to abuse theirs.
>>
>>285689
>fight a long War of Independence against a major world power.
Literally a proxy war. France and Spain did most of the fighting
>Jefferson purchases a metric fuckton of territory from Napoleon at cost, like a champ
Because boney didn't want it
>settle that shit over the course of 100 years
Not really much to brag about considering the opposition was >mexico and injuns
>fight Indians, Mexicans
Lel, nothing to brag about. This is ignoring how backwards the US military was, the civil war was a lel-fest

America literally got ignored and prospered because of it. Now fast forward to WW2 and the Cold War and then there is some stuff to be proud of
>>
File: 1439625049592.jpg (64KB, 889x856px) Image search: [Google]
1439625049592.jpg
64KB, 889x856px
>>288174
>>>>285834
>you illustrate well that america is about entertainment for the middle class which naturally leads the americans to claim that they have a culture, since they cannot show any culture.

reminder that companies become the moral agents and the historical agents [since they are more potent than the impotent citizens and employees] and the social agents through their museum, their social link through anniversaries and various reboots of entertainment products which gather the old and the young.
>>
>>281747
Well put gentle sir. *tips*
>>
When balkanization happens the successor states more likely than not will idealize the US and go through incredible lengths to posture as a successor to it. The problem is that today with media so centralized it doesn't really seem likely that new national identities will form out of it like Rome.
>>
File: byzantine-empire-H.jpg (916KB, 1389x454px) Image search: [Google]
byzantine-empire-H.jpg
916KB, 1389x454px
So by what name will future historians call the United States when New England secedes, the new capital is in California, and the official language is Spanish?
>>
I feel like we'll be remembered for landing on the moon more than anything.
If Genghis Khan was revered for >muh trade despite slaughtering whole cities and villages that did not pledge allegiance, we'll be remembered too.
>>
>>288706

Estadounidense.
>>
>>279237
Will anyone remember that the Irish built that building?
>>
>>289221
Western United States
Eastern United States
Confederate States too but that's a stretch
>>
File: Gladio.jpg (177KB, 223x360px) Image search: [Google]
Gladio.jpg
177KB, 223x360px
>>279237
No
>>
We've only been around some 240 years, and we don't build things to last 2000 years like Rome did. The only comparison that can be made is that we both essentially conquered the world.

If we start building cities out of stone and developing an aristocratic culture, then perhaps. But for now we are an unwashed mass of industrial power manipulated by international jewish interests.
>>
>>282002
It's highly unlikely that the US would ever fall out completely in today's world. We don't have rogue generals trying to carve out countries at every opportunity like back in the day. In fact, I think the US would still remain powerful out of sheer size even after "the fall", just like post-Soviet Russia.

What would happen is that we would just get a more balanced world involving the usual suspects: Russia, China, Iran, Brazil, India, EU etc. It would probably get more cold warish, which we already can see in Ukraine and Syria. We would get a bit more ideological and media diversity across the globe albeit firmly liberal-capitalist.
>>
>>289322
That's not really true.
>Build things to last
Mount Rushmore is expected to last 200,000 years completely unmaintained.
>Aristocratic culture
Are you being serious? The U.S. has had a class of wealthy political-business families ever since its inception.
>>
It's not fair to make those comparrisons at this time. Rome was the world's powerhouse for 500+ years, America has been the world's powerhouse for about 60.
>>
>>279237
The American empire hasn't outshined the British Empire... yet.
>>
>>291745
Rome was its region's powerhouse, not really on top of the world. Parthia could hold its own against them and the Han dynasty was either stronger or equal to Rome.
China is actually a the closest example of a Rome that never fell.
>>
>>291836

If we go down that road it just becomes a worse comparison. China never really fell on its face until the 1800s (century of humiliation, etc). Perhaps in a millenia if the US is still around it might be worth comparing.
>>
>>282168
>2 retweets
>3 favourites

Not exactly a cultural powerhouse of a statement.
>>
>>282723
>Europe united
>but under Islam
>but united

Not sure how to feel about this to be honest.
>>
>>287795
Well it's not surprising why the Koreans and Taiwanese like us....
>>
Apparently Mt. Rushmore has the potential to last for thousands of years assuming Yellowstone doesn't blow and destroy North America.

It fascinates me to think of how thousands of years from now people will look at those worn old faces and wonder what it was like to live in the US at its zenith.
>>
probably, we do record a whole lot of our history these days.

I wonder how future twitter archaeology will look like.
>>
File: 1408913876588.jpg (152KB, 427x640px) Image search: [Google]
1408913876588.jpg
152KB, 427x640px
>>292091
>millions of dead people facebook accounts
>>
>>292117
It's really creepy how the facebook profiles of dead people become monuments where annually people come and post about how much they miss them and what they wish they could do with them.

My friend died a year and a half ago and it just strikes me as bizarre.
>>
>>282168
>The jew at the bottom trying weasel out of being white
>>
>>282597
Trump?
>>
>>279272
>No because the US isn't similar to Rome in any way
The USA is actually very similar to the Roman Republic, by design even.

Then it goes down the same path of being fairly isolated to consolidating regional powers
>>
>>281958
>>282303

Oh, look, the transnationalists are here.

Yay.
>>
File: FB_IMG_1448057245708.jpg (17KB, 720x144px) Image search: [Google]
FB_IMG_1448057245708.jpg
17KB, 720x144px
Good question. But rome isn't actually remembered fondly.
>>
>>292639
I feel like the US is much more similar to the Venetian Republic since we're a trading empire rather than one based on conquering land. All the wars we fight are largely to protect our economic interests abroad, and despite our strong armies we're primarily regarded as powerful because of our superior navy. I supposed you could also draw parallels between the heavy focus on internal surveillance of the republic's civilians.
>>
>>282597
We're not hard enough to burn and salt Syria, anon.

But I get the feeling we'll see our own versions of Marius and Sulla shortly.

Trump or Clinton both could make a Sulla, though Trump is more likely in my opinion.

The question is, who is Marius? [spoiler]I guess James Webb[/spoiler]
>>
>>288041
So, anons, who shall be the first American Imperator?
>>
>>292687
>Not based on conquering land

The Union Pacific Railroad would like a word with you, anon.
>>
>>292729
Venetians took a bit of clay themselves so his point still stands.
>>
File: Emperor_Joshua_A._Norton_I.jpg (120KB, 866x1312px) Image search: [Google]
Emperor_Joshua_A._Norton_I.jpg
120KB, 866x1312px
>>292715
We already had one
>>
>>292777
That was Theodore Roosevelt though.
US was been imperialistic since 1899.
>>
>>292673
Yes it fucking is you illiterate fuck
>>
File: absolutely_disgusting.jpg (76KB, 530x823px) Image search: [Google]
absolutely_disgusting.jpg
76KB, 530x823px
Is she the Theodora of today?
>>
>>293164
That would be Trump's wife, who literally posed nude.
Thread posts: 116
Thread images: 15

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.