[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is morality learned or innate? >be me >coach always hands

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 4

File: donnie-main.jpg (237KB, 1445x878px) Image search: [Google]
donnie-main.jpg
237KB, 1445x878px
Is morality learned or innate?

>be me
>coach always hands out articles with inspirational/attitude related stuff at team meetings
>big preacher of honesty, integrity, etc
>today gives us one about how people are too focused on "their story"
>i.e. people always try to relate things to past experiences
>he said you can tell someone's "story" by watching them for like ten seconds
>article said you should try living each day as if you had no knowledge of your past
>coach implied this would like reveal who you really are or something
>i'm lowkey confused
>think about how I value things like honesty and hard work now but didn't a few years ago
>would it be ingrained enough to stick with me if I got amnesia?
>which led me to the question:

Are you born with a moral compass or is it taught?

>pic unrelated
>>
A little of both, like everything. A lot of it is adaptive behavior to living in a tribe of similar humans, but the a lot of the specifics are cultural. Of course you could argue the specifics are just signaling, but that's adaptive in itself.
>>
>>275280
i believe ice cube should return for the 3rd 300 spartan movie
>>
>>275299
Wrogn thread, bon vivant.
>>
Learned.

You learn the behavior aspect from childhood from your family/guardians telling you what to do and what not to do. Then as you grow older, you learn the rationals behind and keep improvising it.
>>
>>275280
>Is morality learned or innate?

MORALITY IS LEARNED, AND/OR CREATED, BUT IT HAS BIOGENETIC PRECONDITIONS; CERTAIN BIOGENETIC PRECONDITIONS WILL INEVITABLY MAKE SOMEONE TEND TOWARD CERTAIN KIND OF MORALITY, AND CONVERSELY, CERTAIN KINDS OF MORALITY, VIA SOCIOCULTURAL SELECTIVE PRESSURE, CAUSE CERTAIN BIOGENETIC PATTERNS TO BE PERPETUATED AND CONTINUED; THAT IS THE GENERAL MECHANISM OF HOW ETHNIC, AND SOCIOCULTURAL, DIFFERENTIATION OCCURS.
>>
>>275427
/thread
And on that note, we all agree that Hitler did nothing wrong.
>>
>>275280
you think your question makes sense but it's really just words
>>
>>276495
You're gonna have to define: We, Wrong and Did.
>>
File: unnamed (1).jpg (30KB, 450x375px) Image search: [Google]
unnamed (1).jpg
30KB, 450x375px
It is learned. But that does not mean morality is not innate. It is something you discover.
>>
https://youtu.be/PhTFBjY-CGY?t=70
>>
>>275280
Morality can only be learned. You may have biological predispositions toward certain types of behavior, but there's nothing *moral* about those predispositions even if they happen to align themselves and push a person to act in ways that people consider 'moral'.

There's nothing moral about a person simply doing what it is they're predisposed to do - Kant was right in this regard.
>>
File: 1443704098520.jpg (62KB, 719x543px) Image search: [Google]
1443704098520.jpg
62KB, 719x543px
>>275280
accept samsara = access nibbana
>>
>>275280
Gtfo underage
>>
>>276521
wait wait wait

Does that mean all learned things are possibly innate?

Where does our innateness end?
What did you just do to me?
Fuck u
>>
>>275280
Cool Blog

Not /his/

>>>/trash/
>>
>>275280

Certain 'altruistic' characteristics are inherited in a way, as emotions like empathy and compassion have been displayed by children as young as 2 or 3 years old. These traits could be hardwired for a number of evolutionary advantages, especially considering how heavily social the human species is. In animal behavior, the genetic lineage is all that really matters to an organism, so learning to help out those who are most closely genetically linked to you (your tribe and family) would prove to be a very beneficial advantage to pass on through generations.

Like others in the thread stated though, the specifics are learned more through culture and your upbringing.
>>
We are caring individuals because the first thing we receive in life is care
>>
Morality is a biological imperative for offspring, as you can't raise your offspring in a society that isn't stable.

Take for instance killing people. This is only allowed under conditions that help society, for instance, when a terrorist is hold up in an apartment. The reason for this is very simple: societies where terrorists run free don't propagate as well as societies where they're removed by force
>>
>>277623
Well its not like facts don't exist until someone learns them.
Water always froze at 0C, it just took us a while to learn that
>>
Learned. It's totally based on culture.
If it were innate we'd find 13-year-olds unattractive across the globe.
Thread posts: 21
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.