[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How and why did Ethiopia succeed in resisting European colonization

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 55
Thread images: 9

File: menelik.gif (177KB, 354x500px) Image search: [Google]
menelik.gif
177KB, 354x500px
How and why did Ethiopia succeed in resisting European colonization until 1935 when the rest of Africa was taken so quickly?
>>
>>274204
Because although they both have dark skin, Ethiopians are a different race than the common sub-Saharan African.
>>
This again? Ethiopia has never been isolated like the other african tribes, they had structure and civilization.
>>
>>274213

Validate your argument with more than race or fuck off to /pol/ where that kind of reasoning is excusable, race is a lazy excuse in isolation. What about their race made them successful? Give data, prove your argument.
>>
>>274204
Because leaving Ethiopia alone was more beneficial then conquering it.
It also helps that people back then had marginally more respect for them compared to other Blacks.
>>
Competing interests between Britain, France and Italy in the area along with a relatively organized government structure that allowed the Ethiopian monarchy to make minor concessions while keeping themselves mostly independent. There's also an interesting topic of Russian support of Ethiopia due to similarities in their brands of Christianity that's worthy of some focus if only for the novelty of it in the field of colonialsim, though this was more diplomatic then material.
>>
>>274214

Western Africa wasn't isolated either, they had a thriving trade with the Arabs and Europeans for decades before conquest. All along the Swahili coast also was widely exposed to Arabic and Indian traders. Many African empires, such as the Ashanti in west Africa, had been using guns imported from Europe for the better part of a century before collapsing.
>>
>>274252

And by decades I meant centuries, in the cases of the Arabs and Portuguese.
>>
>>274334

>how did they stop European powers?
>because they stopped European powers

Not very thorough reasoning.
When I look at it, I figure that their beating Italy was a starting point for the ideas stated here >>274213 where Europeans started to pay more attention to the semitic / christian heritage of many Ethiopians (at least the upper classes) as a way of kicking it under the carpet.

What I can't decide is how much I can attribute to the quality of Ethiopia at the time - Menelik was a pretty competent emperor - versus Italy just being shit at everything.
After all, Napier's expedition decades is evidence enough that Europeans could get into Ethiopia and kick some ass, but Ethiopia was also less centralized at that point and the British just took advantage of rival lords to supply them and let them through to fuck up Theodor.
>>
>>274204

Freely giving up land to maintain peace and independence (when Italians first arrived). Giving up land to the British in exchange of protection from the very Italians.
>>
File: Ethiopia-Axum_LightSabers.jpg (1MB, 2592x1944px) Image search: [Google]
Ethiopia-Axum_LightSabers.jpg
1MB, 2592x1944px
Pretty based art.

> they had light sabers
>>
>>274523
WE WUZ JEDIS
>>
>>274204
They sucked britcock
>>
>>274560
kek
>>
>>274523
Why are they white?
>>
Because they're a shitty mountain nation with nothing anyone wanted, unless you're a second-rate European power who missed colonizing the good parts of Africa but still want to wave your dick around.
>>
>>274681
Lots of admixture with Arabs, contact with Europeans, and even the darkest blacks are sometimes show lighter in art work to make their features easier to see
>>
>>274213
>Ethiopians are a different race than the common sub-Saharan African.

If you want to get technical, there is no sub-Saharan African race. Those people are way too genetically diverse to put them under a single group. The only thing they all have in common are longer limbs and full lips. Skin color, hair color or hair texture, physical features, they're all different.
>>
>>274695
they had coffee.
>>
>>275001
Ethiopians didn't invent coffee.

Arabs did.

Ethiopians have contributed nothing to humanity.
>>
File: 1390827859594.jpg (68KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
1390827859594.jpg
68KB, 500x500px
>>275181

I hope you're being ironic and you're not actually this retarded.
>>
>>275194
Name 1 Ethiopian invention
>>
>>275203

Saying they had coffee has nothing to fucking do with who "invented" coffee, and saying the arabs invented coffee is an equally retarded statement.

The fact is they HAD coffee and coffee was a desired resource.

Ethiopia inventing anything is completely irrelevant to the discussion.
>>
>>275203
you sound like 12 years old you know that right
>>
>>274998
Sub Saharans have no Neanderthal or Denisovian admixture.
>>
>>275678
Wrong.

There was a back migration into Africa.

Everyone from the Yoruba to the Khoisan has Neanderthal admixture.
>>
It's funny that even in '35 they kicked the shit out of the Italians until they had to start using chemical weapons.
>>
File: 1446273110532.png (66KB, 1000x1000px) Image search: [Google]
1446273110532.png
66KB, 1000x1000px
>>275818
>mfw the Italians bombed a fucking hospital with mustard gas
>it wasn't even an Ethiopian military installation, it was run by the Swedish Red Cross treating mostly civilians who got caught up in the fighting
>Swedish nobleman serving as a pilot testifies against the Italians
>so do the Swedish hospital workers
>"lies yuo are in cahoods wid de fugging ediopians :DDDD" - Mussolini
>the international community believed Mussolini
>>
>>274681
Its Mary and Jesus. They are depicted with more of a typical olive skin tone that Mediteranean people had, not 'white'.

Black Jesus is an American afrocentrist construct.
>>
File: durga-puja-of-the-bengalis.jpg (73KB, 660x330px) Image search: [Google]
durga-puja-of-the-bengalis.jpg
73KB, 660x330px
>>274523
The way they show the eyes in kind of interesting.

I've noticed that a lot of cultures depict figures in their artwork with big, wide eyes in pretty much all cultures from Celts all the way to India. Maybe it has something to do with the trade routes.
>>
>>275860
Ever saw Asian or White white white Jesus?
>>
>>274214
>they had structure and civilization
>implying they hadn't narrowly just gotten out of centuries of bumfuck feudal infighting before the Europeans showed up

Based Menelik saved Ethiopia just in time.
>>
>>275874

>I've noticed that a lot of cultures depict figures in their artwork with big, wide eyes in pretty much all cultures from Celts all the way to India

It's the fucking nips and their degenerate weeaboo trash infecting muh art.

But the reality is likely less trade routes and more eyes are really prominent and expressive features on a face that we tend to notice first. People tend to see people with small, narrow eyes as sketchy and not to be trusted.
>>
File: Triptych (1740 - 1755).jpg (2MB, 2500x1822px) Image search: [Google]
Triptych (1740 - 1755).jpg
2MB, 2500x1822px
They were a strong and unified empire with very capable leadership, mountainous and defensible territory, they hugely outnumbered the enemy, and they were lucky enough to only be invaded by Egyptians and Italians. Also the usual divide and conquer tactics didn't work among Orthodox Christians.

>>274523
This is fairly recent art, probably 20th century. The 18th century and early Solomonic (1270-1530) is the best in my opinion.

>>275874
I don't think it's anything to do with trade routes. It's just a thing common to many cultures; the eyes stand out so they're depicted bigger than they really are. And of course, large eyes can be pretty expressive as your picture shows.
>>
>>276071
>They were a strong and unified empire

They really weren't, though I suppose by the Italian invasion Menelik had centralized reasonably, though they still had only just come out of literal centuries of squabbling.

When you look at Napier's expedition years earlier the divide and conquer method worked beautifully. The British just sent letters to Ethiopian princes who didn't like emperor Theodor saying "Hello friends, we're here to depose your emperor. Give us supplies and safe passage to put a bullet in him and we'll give you guns to take that crown for yourself. Jolly good."
Someone took them up on it, they marched right on through Ethiopia, kicked the shit out of Theodor's army, and the poor bastard put a bullet in his head (allegedly with a pistol that was a gift from queen Victoria, which is a funny irony if true).
>>
File: Prince Alemayehu.jpg (140KB, 514x640px) Image search: [Google]
Prince Alemayehu.jpg
140KB, 514x640px
>>276114
I'm talking about Menelik's reign, not Tewodros. Tewodros was cool as hell, but he became a sociopathic nutcase and everyone hated him by the end of his reign. He alienated the clergy and nobility and pissed off all the wrong people. He tried to unify the country but failed, it was really Menelik who pulled everything together.

It's really too bad Tewodros lost his mind, he seemed to genuinely want to improve his country. Pic related his his son.
>>
>>274998
>Those people are way too genetically diverse

Is that why they all look the fucking same? : ^ )
>>
>>274998
Is there a bantu race and a nilotic race ?

>>
>>274213
>Ethiopians are a different race than the common sub-Saharan African.

What does that even have to do with it? Indians are Caucasian too but they were colonised
>>
>>275916
Nope, I see him mostly brown haired and brown eyed, like a majority of lebs.
>>
>>275181
>Ethiopians were literally the first Homo sapiens
>nothing to humanity

Fuck off Erectus, it's our time to shine.

>>275678
>Denisovan
>implying you want Denisovan DNA unless you're Tibetan
>>
>>276188
They really don't. Try comparing a Khoisan to a Twa, a Igbo to a Masaai, or a Fulani to a Hutu and see the differences.

Then again, you had a ":^)" face, so this means I can't take you seriously, can I?
>>
>>274204
Because they were a state and not a tribal land like the rest of Africa, so it wasn't colonization but conquest.
>>
>>278084
>like the rest of Africa
>>
>>278084

You really need to expand on this statement for anyone to take you seriously. Plenty of Africa had states pretty similar to the state Ethiopia was in until Menelik turned it around. Namely: States that used to be big but had balkanized/suffered infighting. Particularly west Africa.
>>
>>275874
>bengal
>ethiopia
>on the same trade route
I didn't know that the bay of bengal was in the arabian sea.
>>
>>278025
Why would a Tibetan want Denisovan DNA? Are you implying that admixture is a bad thing? (obv wouldnt want any floriensis DNA) Europeans are neandertal mixed.
>>
It was more profitable to trade with them.
>>
>>275916
>White white white Jesus

you mean blonde blue eyed jesus?
>>
File: 74e80ced6922d48a833dafaf9b231b10.gif (1000KB, 368x208px) Image search: [Google]
74e80ced6922d48a833dafaf9b231b10.gif
1000KB, 368x208px
>>274204
because they didn't have anything of valour to be plundered.
therefore no one wasted time trying to conquer them - except for megalomaniac small dick dictators who can't into empires but really really want one to show how strong italy is but then get fucked in the ass by lances and stones and proceeds to ask for his boyfriend help
>>
>>279696
>because they didn't have anything of value to be plundered.

Except they were at the center of one of the most important trade routes for centuries.
>>
>>279696
sauce?
>>
>>276054
>anime
>adopted from and inspired by betty boop in the 50s by Tezuka
>the rest of history, art, sculptures, paintings, dolls, icons across a variety of cultures and time periods
>same thing
>>
>>274213
North Africa was colonized just as easily as south africa brub
>>
>>279811

I wasn't being serious you retard.
Thread posts: 55
Thread images: 9

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.