[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How to learn ancient Greek or Latin? Have you any method

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 71
Thread images: 6

File: latin-classes-los-angeles.jpg (94KB, 425x282px) Image search: [Google]
latin-classes-los-angeles.jpg
94KB, 425x282px
How to learn ancient Greek or Latin?

Have you any method to recommend?
>>
>>271725
Buy dictionary
Learn the basics of how the grammar works
Translate historical texts
>>
>>271839
Yeah but should I start learning it like a normal language (vocab and learning how to speak)?
>>
>>271725
>How to learn ancient Greek or Latin?
I learnt them in high school, so buy a textbook and use it. Do a lot of translations and find someone to check them.

>>271962
>learning how to speak
No. You're not gonna get any good at that anyway, basically noone is fluent so you'll have no chance to exercise. I'd suggest you just learn to translate it. If you insist to learn to speak it, then please for the love of god learn either restituted or international, english latin is just abominable to hear.
>>
>>272073
I find the grammar really difficult though.I kinda understand Latin and Greek so I can translate them semi accurately but for the love of God I just can't learn the fucking grammar.Can I learn them by knowing the vocab and basic grammar?
>>
>>272176
I'm gonna say no. You may do well enough for rough translation without knowing proper syntax, but if you don't understand declensions and shit you're gonna make the most hilarious mistakes every other word.
>>
>>272176
If you don't want to learn grammar don't learn Latin. One of the greatest problems people encounter when learning Latin is that they translate using vocabulary and context when they translate easy texts. However, this doesn't work with more difficult texts and you'll be absolutely shreked. You don't need to know vocabulary to translate Latin but you do absolutely need grammar
>>272073
>English Latin sounds horrible
Absolutely this, learn Republic Era pronunciation if you're going to be talking latin
>>
>>272231
Sorry for being a plebeian but how hard is the grammar syntax and vocab I gotta learn in comparison to English?
>>
>>272279
>learn Republic Era pronunciation if you're going to be talking latin
Actually, if he want to talk to someone he should really learn modern pronunciation. I doubt even 1% of latin "speakers" learnt to say Kikero and Ketereo Kenseo Carthago esse delendam.
>>
>>272302
About the same level as german and russian.
>>
>>272317
How hard is German or Russian grammar?
>>
>>272346
German is so fucking easy.
>>
>>272346
On a scale of 1-10, english is one, german is 5, russian is 7.

>>272352
Only for people whose native language has declensions. Other people somehow seem to be completely mindfucked when they encounter those.
>>
>>272304
>99% of Latin speakers are retarded and say sisero
Doupt it
>>272302
It's pretty hard, the point with Latin is that everyone in Rome was pedantic as fuck and wrote in the most grammatical wizardry immaginable
>>
>>272352
Totally depends on your native language
>>
>>272304
*Carthaginem
>>
>>272384
Native languages Greek Romanian and English how fucked am I?
>>
>>272398
Not, Greek is somewhat similar and you already have concept of different types of grammar and languages
>>
>>272380
>sisero
That's english pronunciation, 99% of latin speakers say 'ʧiʧero.
>>
>>272375
>>272398
Sorry. Was working on the assumption of speaking English.
>>
>>272392
You're right, I always write this wrong because of the other version Carthago delenda est.
>>
Now how about ancient Greek?I tried learning it for about 3 months but it was hard as fuck due to an over reliance on grammar.I can understand mostly xenophon and lysias.Is Latin going to be easier than ancient Greek?
>>
>>272484
No, Latin is even more grammar based. Hard part about Greek is the writing that's different from most other languages
>>
>>272512
>No, Latin is even more grammar based
What do you mean by that
>>
>>272512
The writing I understand perfectly well and the grammar and the syntax is killing me tho.Tbh the syntax is actually the problem not so much the grammar.I just hoped that I would have amn easier time with Latin.
>>
>>272545
That the grammar is hard to learn and that writers always have to use all forms of grammar not to be a pleb. Grammar is more important to understanding a difficult text than vocabolary. for example, i've learned my grammar well but my vocab is shit. so when i see a sentence i read "flooby, while verbing, had been verb the flooblike woobdy, and rooby, in order to verb"
then i just have to look up the words that i don't know, and there are a shitload of words so don't bother learning more than the basics. if you try to tackle latin by knowing most words it's just an unlogical sequence of words.
>>
>>272576
Right but how does one go about learning grammar and syntax?
>>
Part of the problem is that memorization has dropped out of humanities education. You are not going to get around memorizing forms in Greek and Latin. In the beginning, you have to invest a lot of time and effort in learning all your inflections inside out. Unless you master that material, you will not know what you are doing.
>>
>>272591
Translate texts, and look at the syntax and grammar before looking at the meaning of words. High level poetic Latin are like puzzles, so you should approach easy texts like that too. Alternatively, buy a textbook
>>
I study Classical Greek at Uni.

If you are really interested, you can buy the book series Reading Greek, which is a really good introduction to the language, and supplement it with a decent Oxford dictionary.

If you have any questions, just ask.
>>
Would learning modern or Koine Greek make it easier to get into ancient Greek? Of course it would, right?
>>
>>272971
Not really. It's more the other way around, because of the grammatical difficulty.

I study Ancient Greek, and I have a Greek native speaker in my class, and he says that even though he speaks modern Greek and some of the words carry the same meaning from Ancient to modern, he would still never understand the text without proper work in it, because of the grammar.
>>
>>271725
Take a class in LA
>>
>>272971
Have you ever read the Lord's Prayer in early english? Like Fæder ure þu þe eart on heofonum early english? Knowing modern english didn't really help besides knowing what sounds the letters made, right? Now imagine if it was twice as old. Even less helpful. That's what you're suggesting when you say modern greek helps learn ancient greek
>>
>>272420
You mean Tulli
>>
>>272420
>'ʧiʧero.

Kek, no. The correct pronunciation for the letter C is a hard k sound.

Do you think the pronounced Marcus with a "ch" sound in Ancient Rome?

lel
>>
>>272304
>I doubt even 1% of latin "speakers" learnt to say Kikero and Ketereo Kenseo Carthago esse delendam.
I studied latin in middle and high school and we pronouced the "c" as a "k", the "v" as a "w" and the "u" like in "you". No one pronounces "s", "veh" or "uh".
>>
>>272996
>>273065
Fascinating.
>>
File: 1429130924251.png (103KB, 624x434px) Image search: [Google]
1429130924251.png
103KB, 624x434px
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q5FHZx0oOqs

Reconstructed pronunciation of Ancient Greek sounds pretty awesome.
>>
>>272304
Don't most university Latin classes unaffiliated with the Catholic church teach the "K" pronunciation?
>>
>>273500
I learned it at in institution affiliated with the Catholic Church, and we were thought to pronounce old Roman/non Christian texts in the correct way (k, w, you)
>>
>>271725
Learned it in school.

My teacher was an eccentric old bastard (as are all latin teachers) who had been teaching for like 40 years, so he had them pared down to the bare minimum that bored young boys would listen to, and he recited them from his head, to be written verbatim.

I've been considering starting a Latin general or something, I get the feeling a latin learning community on /his/ could work well
>>
>>272484
Latin is basically 'Not Good at Grammar? Fuck You: The Language'
>>
>>273183
That was beautiful.
>>
http://www.churchlivinglord.com/NT_Greek_Grammar_by_J_Gresham_Machen_1_.pdf
>>
>>272484
>over reliance on grammar
get a load of this american
>>
who here /anglo-saxon/?
>>
>>274536
If you're from south England, then maybe you're a bit anglo, chances are you're mostly Britonic t b h
>>
File: aeth.jpg (108KB, 456x689px) Image search: [Google]
aeth.jpg
108KB, 456x689px
>>274651
I meant anglo-saxon, Old English, not genetic memery.
>>
>>274658
As someone who speaks Icelandic and has studied Old Norse as well it's actually pretty fucking funny to read, even though there's just parts I understand.
>>
>>274684
out of interest, which bits did you understand?
>>
>>274703
Like "Her æthelstan cyning" and "on morgentid" and some other small individual sentences.

I could probably guess on more, but that would only be guesses.
>>
File: Anglo-Saxon.png (32KB, 402x330px) Image search: [Google]
Anglo-Saxon.png
32KB, 402x330px
>>274734
I feel that way as an English and German speaker. Other Dutch is a not 100% like either, but there are enough words from both that I could guess what the person is saying.
Just wish that were the case for Anglo-Saxon. Such a cool language
>>
File: 1435760526651.jpg (198KB, 500x667px) Image search: [Google]
1435760526651.jpg
198KB, 500x667px
>>274793
It really is.

This is a page of Faroese, see if you can see some similarities.
>>
>>274058
Please start something. I've seen the idea of a latin or greek learning club, but I don't know nearly enough to initiate it.
>>
>>274897
>I've seen the idea of a latin or greek learning club, but I don't know nearly enough to initiate it.

I probably know enough ancient Greek to do that, at least something introductory, but I don't see how it wouldn't be a waste of my time, this is after all 4chan.
>>
What are some of your favorite words from old / dead languages?

some of mine:

Guma (man, old english). Sounds nice to me.

Paedicare (to sodomize, Latin) I used to write shit like "Paedicavi matrem tuam" on desks and shit in High school because I thought it was funny.

Futuere (to fuck, latin) same as above.

pintel (penis, old and modern english) It sounds funny, and has a neat meaning.
>>
File: sgarbi.jpg (8KB, 400x400px) Image search: [Google]
sgarbi.jpg
8KB, 400x400px
>tfw in my country, Italy, you can learn them in high school
>>
>>274965
>writing obscenities in dead languages in your schoolboy days

pretty high level, lad. i just drew dicks
>>
>>274980
>schoolboy
I was in High School.
>>
>>274897
desu a language general doesn't sound that bad, although it would go against the sticky.
>>
>>275328
If we don't use the word "general" and refrain from numbering each edition we could slip under the radar.
Also, I don't think that rule was made with something like this in mind.
>>
>tfw so many ancient languages have been lost.
sad desu
>>
>>274972
Tfw I couldn't learn them bc I hated them
>>
wew, just tried to translate an old english poem.
Was pretty fun.
>>
>>274658
This Is actually surprisingly similar to the dialect of Dutch the farmers around here speak
>>
>>273065
I read an article which said that modern swedish is actually closer to old english than modern english
>>
How should one go about learning Latin? Taking a class? Reading a textbook? I'm a native English speaker.
>>
I started learning Latin in Year 6 and Greek Year 9 (British school system).

I now do Classics at uni.
>>
>>273101
There is the difference between the two ways of pronunciation: no1:c=k, ae =ai
No2 c=ts
>>
>>274972
Apre la mente.
Forma persone complete.
Tutti i migliori medici lo hanno fatto.
Il latino aiuta la comprensione della matematica.
Leggere i classici in lingua...
La futura classe dirigente.
Non è da tutti.
Apre tutte le porte.

Enough
Thread posts: 71
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.