[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How many of you actually have a humanities degree? History and

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 86
Thread images: 4

File: 1429051995982.jpg (78KB, 634x614px) Image search: [Google]
1429051995982.jpg
78KB, 634x614px
How many of you actually have a humanities degree?

History and Politics reporting in.

>Inb4 that minority autistic STEM people come in and start going on about 'muh jobs'
>>
muh jobs
>>
Art History and Finance here.
Best deal of my life.
>>
Why would I get a job in something I enjoy?

I went for Comp Sci because it is in demand, but history is my passion.
>>
>missing philosophy
You'll never make it anon
>>
>>25418
I'm a STEM fag but I enjoy history in my private time
>>
>>25454
>>25472
No, wasn't saying there was anything wrong with that. Just wondering how many people have actually done it at university.

>>25466
I don't wanna turn it into a fight but 'muh logic maths' just looks cringey.
>>
/lit/ here. Working on my PhD in English. Don't let me down with the philosophy discussion, m8s.
>>
Russian, French and History reporting in
>>
>>25418
History degree here. Going to school to teach high school. Almost done with my credential.
>>
>>25566
I'd like some fries with that burger, son. And get to it a bit faster, will you?
>>
>>25566
Good lad.

I'm trying to get into government myself. Why teaching??

Half of my mates teach and half of them are in government, I can't ever imagine teaching.

>>25553
Good lad, I learnt Chinese on the end of mine. Surprising how well a language goes with history.

What country are you in that you learn three as standard though?
>>
>>25418
I got a stem degree because I want to eat. I did minor in philosophy though. My focus was in particular logic, and the philosophy of science.

I look forward to discussion of these subjects on this board and hopefully being free of /lit/ because fuck /lit/.
>>
BA in history, working towards a Ph.D in the same. Wish me luck brothers ;_;
>>
>>25724
>I got a stem degree because I want to eat.

It's like some sort of twitch they just can't help.

End the meme
>>
>>25418
BA in History. Currently doing MA
In between: jerbs so far
>Histo Teacher
>Researcher & Part-time journalist
>Freelance research
>>
>>25758
Way to not read the rest of my post m8.
>>
>>25828
No you didn't read.

We get it, you did a minor in philosophy, but your unwarranted smug outlook because you did STEM wouldn't have been enough without you implying anything else leads to a destitute life of homelessness, starving and eventual death.
>>
>having to discuss philosophy with a bunch of humanities fags because philosophy is perceived to be a subject of the humanities when in fact it's not.

I hate this place, fuck all of you
>>
>tfw love anthropology and caveman studies but my major is chemistry
But i need jobs
>>
>>25879
STEM here, with a passion for history. Why do philosophy majors always try to distance themselves away from the humanities?
>>
>>25418
Arguably lot, since people in here mostly show and argue over about what they've learned from history classes. Honestly, this place is slowly being /lit/ ver. 2.0 for history and politics students.
>>
>>25870
I would have starved though. Hum degrees are expensive as hell and there are no jobs readily available that involve philosophy other than ethics.
Not smug don't be so insecure. Not many people can actually afford to get a degree in philosophy or the humanities.

>>25879
We'll see I'm still optimistic, the board is only a day old.
>>
>>25917
Have fun being a lab monkey. I'm thrilled with my decision to quit that shit field after 2 years of study.
http://www.nytimes.com/1998/11/29/magazine/lethal-chemistry-at-harvard.html?pagewanted=all
>>
>>25979
Oh fuck off you annoying cunt.

He's right, it's quite clear what you were trying to do. Nobody here is insecure or cares, but you couldn't resist adding in such unnecessary shit.

Fuck off.
>>
Political Sciences here

going into biology next year.
>>
>>25973
Humanities can be highly subjective, and philosophy based in them has led to being stuck with what amounts to wild goose chases.
A lot of philosophers were completely won over by the inordinate success of the sciences and the scientific philosophies and want to emulate their success.

At least that's what I gather, it comes down to wanting to be more 'legitimate'.
>>
History major here. Decided to go into journalism but history, philosophy, literature, and military science have always been my passions. Sometimes I feel like I missed my chance to be a classically educated officer in Rome (or one of those "carry the torch of Rome" empires like Britain/France).

Oddly I am quite liberal in most ways but respect conservatism that isn't full /pol/.

I really hope this board combines the best of /pol/, /lit/, and /int/. I also hope we don't get overrun by stormfags shilling their worn out racist nonsense. I can accept western culture's recent general superiority in terms of scientific achievement and human rights without having to accept that only white people can understand it or use it to advance humanity, or that other cultures have nothing to offer. If you really know your history, you know white people were pant-on-head retarded for most of our time as a civilized species and only relatively recently took up the mantle of apex culture. We could easily lose that edge if we succumb to arrogance like previous apex cultures. Always be improving. Only look back to make sure you aren't heading that way... or because you appreciate awesome shit like conquering legions, Vikings, and god-emperors without losing sight of the fact that their time has passed.

That's basically my deal.
>>
>>25418
ancient history and archaeology degree here, who needs a jobs anyway?
>>
Law ans Sociology if it counts as humanities. Still i can easily b8 and annoy people with my rhetorical skills.
>>
>>26059
I wasn't trying to do shit, and with an opening post like that it is absolutely necessary. You're the one egging it on. If you think it's b8 you should leave it alone.
>>
>>26059
>poster mentions his major before his minor in philosophy
>freaks out
>Nobody here is insecure or cares
I beg to differ.
>>
>Thread proceeds exactly as expected
>>
I'm gonna graduate next year in oriental studies
>>
>>26133
>>26136
I jst don't get what STEM fags feel they achieve by going on about how lucrative they feel they will be at every opportunity.

>I love history but didn't want to starve to death lol XD
>>
>>26100
>I really hope

stopped reading here, hope is for the weak.
>>
Note the difference between these two posts:
>>25472
>>25724
>>
>>26177
Not so much about being lucrative as it is not starving to death.
>>
Got a bachelors in history and french, minor in film studies because fuck yeah watching movies in school. Going for a masters in museum and archival work.

>>26100
I'd say that's a fair stance, though it's a difficult task to acknowledge both similarities and differences between peoples, because it is much easier to swing entirely towards one and ignore the other, and cause all sorts of problems.
>>
I studied history at first but I noticed that making your hobby your job is probably not the best choice. So I switched to CS and concern myself with history after studying. Keep in mind this can vary from person to person but personally I need to be able to divide work and leisure time.
>>
>>26188
I hope you don't cut yourself on that edge.
>>
>>26362
>I hope

stopped reading here again.
>>
>>26328
I absolutely agree, which is exactly why we need a place like this to hash that shit out. Also I now wish I took a minor in film studies because that sounds dank as fuck.
>>
>>26100
>Decided to go into journalism
I've always wanted to go into journalism, but I've heard job prospects are terrible at the moment and the whole field is in a perpetual decline because of the internet or something. Is that true, or just a meme? How hard are journalistic jobs to come by?
>>
>>25746
Good luck bro. I'm thinking of doing something similar.
>>
>>26486
>Is that true, or just a meme?
It is very true.
>How hard are journalistic jobs to come by?
The competition is tough. You will have to compete not only against other journalism students but also other humanities. There will be psychologist, historians, social workers etc. Combine that with the declining job offers and you will find yourself in an uncomfortable situation. However, if it is really your dream you should pursuade it. Just remember that it is very hard to get a job. The most important thing, like in most other jobs, are contacts.
>>
MA Historical studies here.

>First class, with distinction.
>>
>>26100
>If you really know your history, you know white people were pant-on-head retarded for most of our time as a civilized species
I agree with everything except this. European history originates from Ancient Greece, 1500 BC or so, and Europe still had an impressive early Bronze age (3000 BC; i.e. Stone henge). But I get what you mean since Europe didn't have any Mesopotamia at that early age.

We've always been dominant all since Ancient Greece with our ups and downs (early middle ages, Black Death). Certain traits are telling me we are entering a downward curve atm.
>>
>>26177
You sound like you have a huge chip on your shoulder. Don't be so angry all the time.
>>
I have an MA in Ancient History
>Job Hunting.jpeg
>>
>>26227
A combination of creativity, intellect, and interest for a field of knowledge will eventually lead to something great if you choose to follow that path. Keep in mind that a good income isn't the only great thing in life.
>>
>>25566
>>25612
This. History and Peace, War, and Defense degree here. I wanted to teach at first, because it was my high school history and latin teachers who really inspired me. I later decided that I would end up throttling one of my students and that teaching probably wasn't for me.
>>
>>26574
RIP my hopes and dreams. But thanks for the advice anyway, you seem like a cool guy. I hope more people like you decide to use this board.

Anyone here work in archaeology? I'm kinda interested in this field.
>>
>>25418

I don't have a degree in Humanities, but I have a job, so it balances out.
>>
>>26486
It depends on what you want out of it. Journalism as a serious attempt to communicate truthful information is not very profitable, but there is still some demand. Clickbait is profitable and by definition in demand, but do you really want to spend your life writing BuzzShit?.

If you have writing chops and the will to use them you can find a job writing about just about any topic in print or online. It's definitely passion over paycheck though for the most part, by which I mean you will bust your ass like a lawyer or businessman without the fat checks.

People's hunger for synthesized information isn't going anywhere. If you have initiative, smarts, tenacity, and a willingness to learn new shit you don't necessarily care about you can find a way to make a living.
>>
>>26574
>If it is really your dream you should [pursue] it.
That's bad economic advice. We may live in a psudo-post scarcity economy, but you don't have to be doing your passion 24/7. Let work be work. I tried to do dog breeding from the early nineties to 06, and it just never worked.

>>26771
Good intentions and wishful thinking a good job market does not make.
>Keep in mind that a good income isn't the only great thing in life
Maybe not, but it is the point of work. I work my trade (welding) for as little as 35 hours a week, and spend every other moment of my life with animals, and I can only do that BECAUSE animals are NOT my job. Animal breeding was just not profitable enough.

>>26812
I've always wondered what sort of things you'd learn in those courses. Can you elaborate?
>>
>>26714
Ancient Greece was a backwater until around 500 BC. When you consider Egypt had been kicking ass for over 3000 years (the same time roughly separating us from ancient Greece) before the Greeks accomplished the shit they handed down to us it kinda puts it in perspective. I will admit to hyperbole though as even backwaters usually have some cool shit going on and often have the potential for greatness.
>>
>>26981
You act like nobody in Europe was doing anything at all. Even as far back as 1000 BC, celts were forging some of the finest craftsmanship ever to grace the planet, and that's just the celts.
>>
>>25418
Cultural Studies. I'm a copywriter for technical products now.
>>
MA in History, Greek Philology and Political Science
>>
Studying a phd in European lit
tfw no jobs
>>
Classics with a focus on linguistics. Wrote my thesis on allusions to Caesar in Catullus.
>>
Econ here
Can't get better than this
>>
Law/Economics here.

t. /sp/artan
>>
>>26981
Still what >>27054 said. Ancient Greece was not the only extraordinary civilisation of that time in Europe. Like I mentioned, Stone Henge and the civilisations developing around that trading route was vast. Also, keep in mind the last ice age covering half of Europe up until 10 000 BC. It took a few thousand years for Europeans to re-habituate Northern Europe.
>>
File: 1372626463588.png (48KB, 136x222px) Image search: [Google]
1372626463588.png
48KB, 136x222px
I'm currently doing an MA in History. I didn't expect so much sociology and philosophy.
>>
>>27397
>>27054
"even backwaters usually have some cool shit going on and often have the potential for greatness."

C'mon. White people were doing cool shit but had nothing on Indians, Chinese, Egyptians, and Mesopotamians who were their contemporaries. The top cultures are not fixed. Being white is not an accomplishment.
>>
I have an International Relations degree.
>>
I agree, but Europe has a younger history than those areas due to the ice age, imo that limited agriculture, which is the origin of all civilisations and also one of the reasons why Sub-Saharan Africa barely had any.
>>
File: miliband.jpg (323KB, 1239x662px) Image search: [Google]
miliband.jpg
323KB, 1239x662px
>>25418
>>
>>27194
>Cultural Studies
Roughly doing the same.

>>27661
A friend I know is doing International Relations at some obscure cheap university in Turkey.
>>
File: 200px-Irving_Kristol.jpg (13KB, 200x280px) Image search: [Google]
200px-Irving_Kristol.jpg
13KB, 200x280px
>>25418
Currently doing my BA in the history of ideas.
>>
anyone can learn history, philosophy and theology, for a few dollars of late fees at the library
>>
Got a BA and MA in philosophy.
Currently doing a 2nd MA in neuroscience.

I am both a humanitiesfag and a STEMfag!
>>
who /PoliticalScience/ here?
>>
>>25418
I started my history major in september.

I'm not sure if I want to continue yet. I might switch to philosophy.
>>
>>25418
MA in archaeology, M. Th. in Biblical Studies.
>>
>>25418
PPE here
>>
I did a 6 month archaeology course at university but I major in stem.
>>
MA Social Anthropology here

Who /anthropology/ here?
>>
BA in Tibetan and world philosophies

I win the most useless degree award
>>
BA in History and Archaeology. While I am still undecided on what to do next, I will probably end up in Graduate Medicine.
>>
Masters in English.

I'm now trying to get certified as an Electrician, because teaching crushes my soul.
>>
Major in litterature, halfway through masters in linguistics and education.
Shit degrees but it opens some doors thanks to practical approach on pedagogy.
>>
I graduated with a double major in economics and political science.

Even though I had middling grades, I had a job related to my field before I graduated because I actually bothered to get work experience during my degree, something that so many humanities students don't seem to do.

>tfw the straight A students are complaining about a lack of jobs because they think their skills are marketable
>tfw I'm leisurely trying to pick between three different career paths after spending my vacation touring European historical sites

Smugness aside, I highly recommend that /his/'s younger posters look into applying for jobs/internships as early as possible. Many positions have low application rates because your fellow students don't realize that work experience is essential, and so your chances of getting a good position are much higher than if you wait until the rest of your cohort is out there and competing against you.

Also, be flexible with your degree choices, and consider getting a double major. Economics is not my passion, but it's a good complement to my political science interests, is a field that is more employable, and lets me look at my passion for history from an academically underused perspective; plus, double majors aren't typically much more difficult than your typical major-minor scheme, but the word "double" makes people think you are twice as hard-working.

tl;dr Humanities can be great, employable degrees, but make sure you're ahead of the curve.
>>
>>25879
I hate all the /pol/itics in a fucking history board.
Thread posts: 86
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.