[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

So in the end were the Normans beneficial for England or did

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 2

File: BayeuxTapestry_2398754b.jpg (122KB, 620x387px) Image search: [Google]
BayeuxTapestry_2398754b.jpg
122KB, 620x387px
So in the end were the Normans beneficial for England or did they just genocide a bunch of English and destroy their language?
>>
>>18697
The British Empire would not have existed where it not for the Norman conquest.

>brought true fuedalism to the still semi tribal Anglo Saxons
>truly entrenched interest in the Roman Empire in English nobility, leading to much of the inspiration for British Imperialists
>expanded the English language greatly
>seizure of the throne by William I and integration of Normandy into the K. of England led to the Hundred Years War, therefore causing the rivalry between France and England that survives to this day
>>
Both
Before Normans the English were just Anglo-Saxons.
They were germanic, did not use horses, had a loose feudal system that had early forms of representation. That would later reappear as the Parliament
The Normans who were frenchified northmen introduced french, and thereby more Latin, forms of feudalism with your classic dukes and barons. Big castles, horses, chivalry, all that good stuff.
It also would fuel the blossoming french-english relationship as sharing a land border would.
But yeah William the Conqueror also killed a bunch of rebels and burned some houses
However he was the last to have the privilege of getting to conquer/invade England, kill a bunch of pesant men then rape the widows
He was what, the forth?
>>
>>18697
The Normans are what made England relevant.
>>
>>18697
>tfw from the place that was genocided
>>
Normans laid the ground work for English society and culture m8
>>
>>18697
>r did they just genocide a bunch of English and destroy their language?
Are you fucking stupid OP? Normans didn't do anything of the sort.

They brought a handful of lower class and a fiar amount of Nobility to England and took over. The South of England is noticably different due to the Welsh/Cornish culture and of course LONDON.

You simply cannot say that the Normans are anything like modern day immigration
>>
>>19374
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Harrying_of_the_North

Have you never heard of the harrying of the North before? The Normans went into the North of England and pursued a genocidal campaign, killing over 100,000 people.
>>
>>19374
>Normans didn't do anything of the sort.

I may be stupid but you're fucking retarded.
>>
>>19467
>>19522
>British Isles still 96% the same since Roman times
>hurr genocide
End yourselves

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/science/science-news/11480732/Britons-still-live-in-Anglo-Saxon-tribal-kingdoms-Oxford-University-finds.html
>>
>>18697
>England before Norman conquest

Getting overtaxed by Swedish invaders. The Norman actually sailed to England because English rulers had acquired the reputation of being good at raising taxes for their Swedish bullies.

>England after Norman conquest

Slowly rising to the rank of major European state and finally exploding into one of the largest empire in history.

You tell me.
>>
>>19467
>100k people
>3 months
>over 1k people per day
>also razed the countryside and stores

How big was his army he brought up there? His invasion force was ~10k. Anyway seems like 100k is inflated.
>>
>>21254
>What is starvation

>>20640
Still a genocide retard.
>>
Personally, I think the links the Normans made between England and the French crown were ultilatemyl beneficial for England. That said I'm aware the normans destroyed one of the most developed literary traditions in Europe and I'm sure it was awful for the English language itself.
>>
File: 280285702.jpg (113KB, 600x433px) Image search: [Google]
280285702.jpg
113KB, 600x433px
Obligatory badass that Saxons had to resort to cheating to win. :^)
>>
Filthy francoboo vikings turned the based Germanic Anglo-Saxons into pathetic Francoboos themselves.
>>
>>18697
William was able to use his large prestige to increase crown authority and implement primogeniture. His high martial score helped to hold down any revolts, and whilst his actions in North England cost him piety and a small by permanent hit to general opinion, it ultimately reduced the chance of revolt risk.
>>
I really wish English was more like it's old Germanic self, it just looks so nice
https://ang.wikipedia.org/wiki/H%C4%93afodtramet
Thread posts: 18
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.