[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/COLD WAR/

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 43
Thread images: 10

File: Cold-war-flag.jpg (56KB, 589x316px) Image search: [Google]
Cold-war-flag.jpg
56KB, 589x316px
let's discuss about how scumbag and admirable were both of them
>>
>>16061
So which of the two is the most biased when it comes to telling their story?
Soviet history books or American history books?
>>
>>16139
>Soviet history books or American history books?
both
>>
File: Freedom.gif (1MB, 400x225px) Image search: [Google]
Freedom.gif
1MB, 400x225px
>>16061
Soviets couldn't into economics and stagnated until their collapse, not particularly admirable.
>>
>>16315
fucking gorvachev
>>
The Soviet Union was one watchman short of launching an all-out nuclear assault on the United States due to an error in their systems which reported 5 warheads launched from the U.S.

Colonel Stanislav Petrov, despite having no outside information whatsoever, deduced that the logical American attack would have been a massive all-out wave, and that only a few scattered missiles was very unlikely. Instead of simply relaying the information, which could only have lead to a retaliating strike, Petrov dismissed the information, which turned out to be a sensor error. For saving unknowable masses from annihilation, Petrov was dismissed from service for disobeying orders.
>https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1983_Soviet_nuclear_false_alarm_incident

The United States was only one low-voltage backup switch away from detonating a 3.8 megaton bomb on North Carolina, a bomb which was reported to have roughly 250 times the power of the bomb dropped on Hiroshima.

The aircraft that was transporting the device had a major fuel leak and broke up in the air. The aircraft's explosion rendered 3 of the 4 safety systems in the bomb inoperable. Only the "ready-safe" switch prevented a 17-mile "100% kill radius" in mainland United States.
>https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1961_Goldsboro_B-52_crash

There was also an incident in 1983 where NATO organized a simulated nuclear exercise in Belgium and the Soviets believed it to be a ruse that would make them relax, and become vulnerable to an actual nuclear strike. Due to this, full preparations were made to fire all available nuclear missiles at the slightest provokation.

I think it's terrifying how close both of them came to nuking themselves by accident. It could have VERY easily went the other way.
>>
>>16829
wow i am shocked
>>
>>16061
It's safe to say the US pulled some nasty, downright evil shit during the Cold War. I'm talking Nazi levels of wrongdoing.
>>
File: 2023kEh.png (714KB, 1500x6406px) Image search: [Google]
2023kEh.png
714KB, 1500x6406px
>>16829
Remember reading something about how nukes were armed hundreds of times between us 2 and pointed at each other with fingers on the button and never released to the public
>>
File: USSR-flag.png (9KB, 2000x1000px) Image search: [Google]
USSR-flag.png
9KB, 2000x1000px
>>17208
the US really need a serious enemy again
>>
File: 1443246317494.jpg (512KB, 916x2225px) Image search: [Google]
1443246317494.jpg
512KB, 916x2225px
>>17281
>>
>>16315

Americans literally moved to the USSR for jobs during the great depression. It was only once FDR took a page out of Stalin's regulatory playbook that the country started working again.

And the Russian economic collapse actually got worse once they started with capitalism. A shame Brezhnev, Andropov, and Gorbachev fucked things up so badly though - hard to have competent central planning when the people can't meaningfully complain about the planners being shit.
>>
>>16061
The Soviet Union collapsed 24 years ago so you cannot mention its collapse for one more year before it is considered history.
>>
>>17341
soon
>>
>>17374
It was history years before it collapsed
>>
>>17418
I blame Khrushchev.
>>
>>17362
nigga what are you talking about America got out of the great depression by sending all its men to war and make the women work the factory. You think Los Angeles got so big by hollywood.
>>
>>16061
who cares, my state is dead, whoodie doo I can keep my paycheck, now I can be happy that my nation state has been racially destroyed and globalized.
>>
File: nsdap-12.jpg (248KB, 835x1100px) Image search: [Google]
nsdap-12.jpg
248KB, 835x1100px
I can take in the glory of being a minority in my own country.
>>
>>17453
How could anyone successfully follow Stalin
>>
god bless the USA
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zGNryrsT7OI
>>
>>17362
Central Planning is always less efficient than market economy, you can only fuck up the economy so badly before the whole system implodes.
>>
>>17208
The music makes this image a thousand times better

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6IjnoM5-mnw
>>
[THIS USER IS SHADOWBANNED FOR BREAKING GLOBAL RULE #3]
>>
>>17362
It's such a pity that Stalin killed all those engineers, scientists, artists, writers and scholars in his great pogroms and famines.

Imagine the kind of people who might have been around to try to make communism workable. You know Stalin essentially outlawed the study of economics? The most necessary subject for people to learn if they are to establish a new economic system?
>>
>>16061
Just saw Bridge of Spies

Pretty good, desu
>>
>>22646
What?
>>
We need a good war to get back to this level of espionage.
>>
>>22704
you are crying so hard about the purges
>>
>>17362
>implying FDR and his expansion of government and the USSR are in any way good
Tf desu baka
>>
>>17362
Do you have a source on American emigration to the USSR? I can't see a nation that is that focused on isolating itself from the west and afraid of espionage, taking any significant number of American immigrants, who might as well be spies.
And those few hundreds of defectors who emigrated out of ideological reasons don't really count
>>
>>22819
not him but i could tell you that, while americans were suffering the depression the USSR was rising
>inb4 muh oppreshun and kulaks
>>
>>22740
Thank you for the valid insight.
>>
>>22865
I think that was at least a decade after the US depression.
>>
File: Apollo_15_flag.jpg (33KB, 445x290px) Image search: [Google]
Apollo_15_flag.jpg
33KB, 445x290px
i can't hear you Soviet Union
>>
>>23140
nope
>>
the national anthem of the USSR is the best
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rHomETco0MI
>>
That fucking manlet Khrushchev ruined everything desu senpai. He wasn't even trying to build communism.
>>
>>17362
>Americans literally moved to the USSR for jobs during the great depression. It was only once FDR took a page out of Stalin's regulatory playbook that the country started working again.
Here come the marxists desperately trying to re-write history and take control over this board lel.
>>
>>23871
he gave crimea to the ukrainians, but at least the russians take it back again
>>
>>23216
yep
>>
>>16061

i think a vast majority of russians too now understand the foolishness of the soviet system and superiority of capitalism+representative democracy.
>>
File: Ll003AF.png (41KB, 930x794px) Image search: [Google]
Ll003AF.png
41KB, 930x794px
>>25108
>of capitalism+representative democracy.
Thread posts: 43
Thread images: 10

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.