[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Crusades and Reconquest General

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 5

File: 2a6.png (417KB, 680x590px) Image search: [Google]
2a6.png
417KB, 680x590px
No Crusade thread?

I recently finished 'The First Crusade: A New History' by Thomas Asbridge. Would highly recommend, it gives a brief account of the Crusader's motivations, but in general it mainly talks about their battles and journey to Jerusalem. It's well written and easily accessible.

Now I want to move on to the Iberian Reconquest because 'muh heritage', but I don't know what book to start with.

Oh, and are there any apologists for the Reconquista and Spanish Inquisition?

Heretics and moors not welcome.
>>
What about pic related?

It's obviously biased, but how's the accuracy of the author's claims?
>>
What is the best book on the Third Crusade? Richard the Lionheart is my favorite figure in medieval history.
>>
>>15742
Not a clue how to pick favorite books, but its a tossup between Baldwin IV or Godfrey of Bouillon.

Mostly for acting the most Christian in what turned into a very brutal campaign/s.
>>
>>15742

Try looking into "The Authoritative History of the War for the Holy Land" by Thomas Asbridge. He focuses mainly on the Third Crusade in that book

Warriors of God by Robert Spencer is another popular one, but it's closer to historical fiction than an actual history book. It's well written, but poorly researched
>>
Bumping shit-tier flypaper bait thread of a low-frontally lobed mongoloid
>>
I'm very ignorant when it comes to the Crusades. As some one who has very little knowledge of what went down and really only knows it was a holy war between the Christians and Muslims where should I start?

Any good books or videos that give a good gist of it then I can branch off from there?
>>
>>16049
/hist/ desperately needs a sticky with a recommended list.
>>
Isabel is good TV show. It's not focused on the Reconquest, but considering Isabella was a central figure in the Reconquista I think it's relevant here.

The episodes are pretty long though, each one is 1 hour, and there are three seasons each with 13 episodes.
>>
>>15954
Thank you.
>>
File: 1443669539321.jpg (116KB, 960x622px) Image search: [Google]
1443669539321.jpg
116KB, 960x622px
21st Century Crusade when?

Francis pls.
>>
File: noticed.gif (1MB, 320x240px) Image search: [Google]
noticed.gif
1MB, 320x240px
>>16117
this
>>
>>15677

I remember reading this because my grandfather a while back and I remember being really bad, and the author constantly talks about modern times and tries to relate the Crusades to the current war on terror in the 'best' (and weirdest) way possible. The one thing I remember is how he wants an American high school sports team to have a 'Crusader' name to signify America's proud Crusader (?) heritage or something.

Also I don't actually recall him ever mentioning the Byzantines, which is like the biggest sin you can do in regards to Crusades historiography. I can actually look for my grandfather's old copy to check at his house sometime but I really cannot recall him mentioning them once.
>>
>>16049

Asbridge's first crusade book is pretty good for a general overview. The first few chapters is about medieval life and their religious and political motivations.

The First Crusaders, 1095–1131 by Jonathan Riley-Smith is a book that focuses entirely on the motivations of the Crusaders.

Riley is also surprising sympathetic to the Crusader's cause, which isn't something I really expected from the academic circle, as they usually lean left.
>>
>>16293
Thanks. Will definitely check out.
>>
Any Reconquista book recommendations?
>>
>>15677
Robert Spencer is pretty solid. He loves the Messianic State of Israel, but he really hates muslims and does a pretty good job deconstructing the inanity of their belief system
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.