[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Exactly what is wrong with Comic Sans?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 7

File: comic sans.png (46KB, 367x304px) Image search: [Google]
comic sans.png
46KB, 367x304px
Exactly what is wrong with Comic Sans?
>>
i think is just too over used
>>
Extremely poor weighting and kerning, COMBINED with being the default choice of "I don't know how to or want to be friendly so I'll pick the 'friendly' option from a dropdown and then proceed on my smarmy-ass way" office dinosaurs and management.

Good things used by good people are loved by everyone except hipsters.

Good things used by bad people is honestly most design, there isn't a genius in your town making your grocery flyers but he does remember a "these are fuckups" checklist from college and that's good enough to sell you hotdogs.

Bad things used by good people is the entire history of restricted art, from engraving to B&W photography to vaporwave.

Comic Sans is a bad thing used by bad people.
>>
I mean have you just LOOKED at it ?! It's a font designed for the world's biggest firm of its time, installed on millions of computers. And it looks significantly uglier and inconsistent than the most basic handwriting. The average person can draw better letters with their fingers.

Obv there's plenty of bad fonts, but the fact that this one is on everybody's computer makes it stick out.
>>
Honestly, most of the hate is from non-designers and people who don't actually know dick about typography trying to fit in. It's not a particularly good font, but 90% of the people who "hate Comic Sans" couldn't tell you why. Basically it's a meme for normies and women.

That said, like >>316159 said there are some fundamental issues with kerning and the like (just look at the K and L in your pic), as well as little inconsistencies (why is the capital C the only letter that has a serif?) that add up to make it visually unappealing.

Some people say it's easier to read for kids and dyslexic people to read because there are no repeated forms but I've never been able to find an actual scientific study to back that up.
>>
File: 1.jpg (31KB, 375x375px) Image search: [Google]
1.jpg
31KB, 375x375px
A digital font has become such a big problem for some people. Unbelievable. Design is truly going to change the world.
>>
>>316153
Here is the only truth: No real designer would care either way about Comic Sans.
>>
>>316153
There's not that much wrong with it if you use it for its purpose – comicky things. I think the hate has come from people using it inappropriately, like for their resume or invites to a funeral etc.
>>
>>316191
>>
>>316183
technicalll the s has a serif too, but yeah...
>>
>>316201
Exactly this
>>
Personally I hate Arial more.
>>
File: 1503223471268.jpg (99KB, 800x600px) Image search: [Google]
1503223471268.jpg
99KB, 800x600px
Literally nothing, people just don't know how to use it.
>>
File: 1503223850787.gif (3MB, 800x600px) Image search: [Google]
1503223850787.gif
3MB, 800x600px
>>
It was designed for e-readers, which displayed it a lower resolution, and it did NOT age well. It's built for lower resolution, which it actually looks good on.
>>
People using it without knowing how and when it should be used. Same as a goat driving a truck, but in a design context.
>>
>>316153
It's one part due to it being used inappropriately. There's a time and a place for everything, including fonts, and I'll be damned if this font didn't have a place as well... but it's crept into office e-mails, grocery catalogs, and even business cards. I shit you not, people think this is okay to put on a business card.

The other is that it's the lazy man's "I want this [whatever document] to look friendly and playful". Instead of doing some honest searching for a less rectilinear font, they do the equivalent of putting Times on a Word document: they make the apathetic, no-effort choice and call it a day.

And, well, it's kinda ugly too. I can think of a dozen better handwritten fonts than this that don't make you look like a 2-year old writing in a fat Sharpie marker.
>>
>>317296
Nice, i would need more examples
>>
File: hero.png (69KB, 921x950px) Image search: [Google]
hero.png
69KB, 921x950px
Here's Comic Sans redesigned as supposedly not shit for modern display and print use:
http://comicneue.com
>>
>>317461
>the creator pronounces it "comic noo"
>>
>>316153
it looks like five-year-old cringey garbage
>>
>>317295
Looks like shit.
>>
>>317560
more like 23 year-old, idiot.
>>
>>317902
Not really. Quite the opposite even. The 23 year-olds of today have a culturally-informed hatred of the font.
>>
It serves its purpose well. I cannot think of a better typeface to be used on kindergarten and infant school materials desu. The guy who designed it is also an accomplished typographer who also created Trebuchet and who never even intended for it to be rolled out in the way that it was by Microsoft.

It has become a meme perpetuated by half-rate aspiring designers to imply they have any kind of real typographic knowledge and that by publicly hating Comic Sans, they think that shows the world they have good taste.
>>
>>317949
>by publicly hating _____ they think that shows thw world they have _____
it's like you described the entire userbase of this website
>>
File: IMG_0334.jpg (598KB, 1200x1600px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0334.jpg
598KB, 1200x1600px
>>316153
It's used by idiots for the wrong purpose. Pic for example. Whatever bitch posted this wants you to obey the rules. So she is serious, however, she is using quirky comic sans to transport her serious message.
>>
it reminds me of school
>>
File: 1413783465368.gif (648KB, 284x284px) Image search: [Google]
1413783465368.gif
648KB, 284x284px
>>318242
>DRINK'S
>>
>>318242
Such as the risk assessment paperwork that both corporate HQ and the government require to be completed before using new equipment.

Yeah, the guy who took over the health and safety role at work has basically had to rework everything.
>>
>>318242
Drink ((( ' ))) s
Thread posts: 31
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.