[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Hey guys, I have an e-comm site where I sell book quote posters

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 38
Thread images: 11

Hey guys, I have an e-comm site where I sell book quote posters (pic related), and a decent amount of people have requested t-shirts. I honestly don't think the poster designs would look great on t-shirts, but I have Amazon Merch, so it's easy enough to throw them up there.

Anyway I am looking for input on what I should do with my poster images wrt the white border that surrounds the poster. I am sure some of you guys have worked with t-shirts, so you'll probably know what looks best.

Here are options I'm thinking about.

1) Leave the white border as is
2) Leave some of the white border (make it smaller)
3) Eliminate white border
4) Any of the above with slightly rounded edges. I feel like rounded edges might be nice. Somehow the right angles don't feel right on a t-shirt.

What makes this all a little more complicated is that the color of the t-shirt influences which option looks best. A very dark design on a black shirt might look better with some white border for separation.

I'm gonna post 6 options. I have my favorite, but I don't want to influence you guys. if you could take a second to look and tell me what you think is best, I would appreciate it.
>>
File: 1.png (421KB, 1174x1158px) Image search: [Google]
1.png
421KB, 1174x1158px
option 1/6. left as is.
>>
File: 2.png (422KB, 1186x1152px) Image search: [Google]
2.png
422KB, 1186x1152px
option 2/6. full border but with rounded edges.
>>
File: 3.png (422KB, 1182x1164px) Image search: [Google]
3.png
422KB, 1182x1164px
option 3/6. smaller white border
>>
File: 4.png (422KB, 1178x1160px) Image search: [Google]
4.png
422KB, 1178x1160px
option 4/6. smaller white border with rounded edges.
>>
File: 5.png (418KB, 1184x1148px) Image search: [Google]
5.png
418KB, 1184x1148px
option 5/6. no border
>>
File: 6.png (417KB, 1178x1148px) Image search: [Google]
6.png
417KB, 1178x1148px
option 6/6. no border with rounded edges.
>>
File: f.jpg (259KB, 1182x1164px) Image search: [Google]
f.jpg
259KB, 1182x1164px
>>315707
option 3 is the best among those and I get it that you like the white border but honestly, I think it looks better without a border at all
>>
>>315722

thanks for the input m8
>>
gonna bump once and ask for more opinions. anyone else?
>>
>>315715

this but not quite so rounded at edges.
>>
>>315707
you wanna put the author in don't u? And the character who said it maybe. u cant jus put moby dick.
>>
>>315778

there's a bit of a conflict between keeping it simple and including extra information like author and character. maybe it would be better with just the author honestly. I go back and forth on it. I have sold a decent amount of posters and no one has said anything about it, so I don't think most people really think about it.
>>
>>315707
Moby Dick was a sperm whale.
Why on earth did you use a humpback?
>>
num 3. the square white border is not as bad as you think.
>>
>>315783
calm down Ahab.
>>
>>315707

how did you make the sky? nice design
>>
>>315797
Well, a majority of the work is about obsession, and details of the whale are expounded upon. I also consider it slightly unjust that the whale is being represented as a different species.
>>
>>315783

looks like a blue whale not a humpback.
>>
>>315797
How was I not calm in asking my question?

>>315813
Similar shapes. Point being that OPs whale isn't a sperm whale.
>>
>>315822
>How was I not calm in asking my question?

you said "why on earth" seems like you were a little worked up tbqhm8
>>
drop the background and try to blend in the whole picture into the t-shirt
>>
>>315827
Ok, but that's assuming vocal tone. It's an honest question, though, if you're OP, as a sperm whale looks unlike any other whale, and Moby Dick as a character in the book is both culturally associated as one, and quite literally one. If one is selling a shirt with a quote from a book that is partially about hunting a sperm whale, with a white whale that isn't a sperm whale, it just makes the artist look ignorant or worse.
>>
OP here lol

>>315879

do you mean blend the edges? like have them fade out? or removing the darker parts?

>>315885

lol dude chill

I do wonder though...

>it just makes the artist look ignorant or worse

what is the "worse" in the situation?
>>
I'd make the shirt white imo, white shirts with b&w photographs/square designs are really popular right now so you could get away with the color design too. If the shirt won't be white then include the thinner white border but overall I don't think the design works with the navy colored shirt you posted, try black or grey instead
>>
>>315886
I didn't want to outright say "make you look you stupid."

I really am not freaking out- I'm not sure how my thoughts are coming off as hot under the collar!
>>
>>315890
I work as prepress at a printshop, and we're often the last "are you sure about this?" guys. That's where I'm coming from in my critique.
>>
>>315890
>>315891

ah, so looking ignorant/stupid was pretty much the worst of it. I was hoping you would go off on me for irreverently dancing on Melville's grave or something.
>>
>>315887

on Amazon Merch I can choose five colors. I think offering additional colors would be more worthwhile (profitable) than just making a single color (white) look good.

Think I'm gonna go with the thin white border for now. Should be essentially unnoticeable on white anyway.
>>
>>315892
Dont care for the book, desu. Mostly just a note to prevent having some pimpled nerd push up his glasses, and bother you with "well, actually..." BS.
>>
>>315894
>Mostly just a note to prevent having some pimpled nerd push up his glasses, and bother you with "well, actually..."

like you?

:)

jk m8, thanks for the heads up... will change it soon
>>
As you said, the color of the t-shirt influences which option looks best. Opt for contrast in value/lightness, you can skip the border when the contrast is already present between graphic and shirt. Grays are good options for borders too
>>
File: 1501205147748.jpg (185KB, 1182x1164px) Image search: [Google]
1501205147748.jpg
185KB, 1182x1164px
>>315907
fuck the border and hard edges, do something like this, without the shitty 5sec eraser job
>>
>>316826
This!
Do it or OP is a faggot.
>>
File: edit.jpg (319KB, 1182x1164px) Image search: [Google]
edit.jpg
319KB, 1182x1164px
>>316826
desu I think It looks better without the stock font typography. Its a nice graphic just alone. Or do better typography
>>
>>315707
This one >>316826
>>
>>316856
my first thought when I saw the poster graphic then the font below it
>>
Hw much do you make with this stuff OP?
Thread posts: 38
Thread images: 11

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.