[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I see a lot of people wanting to have icons made for their websites/apps,

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 3

File: 1500632530167.jpg (105KB, 800x400px) Image search: [Google]
1500632530167.jpg
105KB, 800x400px
I see a lot of people wanting to have icons made for their websites/apps, and I get a lot of requests to make them, but I don't understand exactly why. Seems like everyone wants to have their own, but since individuality in that specific element doesn't really matter in most cases (that I've seen), why not just use Google's MD icons?

They're under Apache 2.0 and they're really good in my opinion, so why not save the money and just use them? I'm hoping for a bit more perspective from others on the field.
>>
If you want to stand out, you have to be unlike others.
I work at an advertising agency and I learned this the hard way –we made a video to a client and (well, to cut costs) bought stock music, some stock video. In their web page we used stock photos and icons from the IKONS package.
Needless to say, the client loved it as did our team. But wasn't until years later I heard the same stock music in two different occasions, saw the same clip in another page and saw at least five pages with Ikons on them.

Normies eat that shit up but at that point I (as a professional) was ashamed – we didn't really make anything beautiful anew, just a cut 'n paste job with beautiful parts. But if that beauty is accessible to every motherfucker out there, what are we doing?

It doesn't matter if the icons* look good. If everyone else is using them as well, you're no better.

*) photos too. See the Unsplash effect.
>>
>>315165
Yes, it's pointless, especially when they only change some icons, as if that Bootstrap theme doesn't look identical with thousands of other pages. Or as if a customized logo differentiates them from the competition. Honestly, design identities are only for the rich. Small companies with no designer employees can't compete.
>>
I am doing an icon pack at this moment and have to say... there is no fucking point to it... in the end there will be the social media icons that are the same as everywhere else, you wont get a prize for the plus-minus icons either... you can play with the rounded corners and line width, but it all has been done... it pays nice though
>>
>>315192
Where do you sell them, or to whom? Someone actually pays for this shit when there are a lot of free and good alternatives?
>>
>>315211
medium-sized project-management software company asked for it as part of a brand design. It would make sense if they would want icons for their software, but in that case they want to stick with their windows 98 style design...

its a status symbol, i believe... also its convenient if they have a custom pack where they only have the icons that they need... that being said, I still believe its kinda pointless
>>
>>315165
wow
>>
File: CustomIcons.png (239KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
CustomIcons.png
239KB, 1920x1080px
>>315165
OP I agree with you, but it sounds like your customers whats something that marks there Company with some sort of individualism.
My suggestion Is make a base set of Icons with every thing a customer could possibly want in 16 different colors.
then offer to recolor them in a custom color for a extra cost.
on top of that give them a custom Icon for there business.
then you only make one new Icon to make,(and maybe have to color all of them).
as more people and businesses use your icon set, the more common place it will be.(but so many colors to choose)

I'm 25 and never worked, don't listen to me!
I just steal icons off line and recolor my desktop ever month.
>>
>>316141
Remember in "Fight club" when he was in the meeting with his boss.
"Can I get that in cornflower blue?"
Thread posts: 9
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.