[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is using Image Trace in Illustrator an acceptable thing to do?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 2

File: images (1).jpg (6KB, 384x384px) Image search: [Google]
images (1).jpg
6KB, 384x384px
Is using Image Trace in Illustrator an acceptable thing to do? Or is it 'cheating'?

Say I'm digitising some sharpie drawings, using levels in Ps and image tracing in Ai, is it now a finished work or does it need to be redone using the brush or pen tool to be a true vector image?

I've had some negative responses from teachers about using image trace.
>>
Use Image trace by all means; you'll never get as good results as you would by hand-tracing it. For trivial things, however, it doesn't matter because the difference is negligible. Sharpie drawings are alright to Image Trace.
>>
It is cheating and it looks like shit.
>>
>>315015
if you're doing lineart like OP it makes so little difference that who cares?
>>
>>315016
A good designer?

It will never look as good or have the same amount of detail and precision as manual tracing.

Go to Fiverr and pay some smelly pajeet to do it for you if you're that lazy and useless as a designer.
>>
>>315017
i literally explicitly said
> Use Image trace by all means; you'll never get as good results as you would by hand-tracing it

but come on nigga, they're sharpie drawings.
>>
>>315018
You can do whatever you like. I wouldn't do it.
>>
File: Untitled-1.jpg (118KB, 828x888px) Image search: [Google]
Untitled-1.jpg
118KB, 828x888px
>>315015
Idk I kinda like the rough edges image trace gives you from sketches.

Obviously making logos etc need to be smooth, but for some applications I think keeping the rough uneven edges helps save the organic drawing feel.

I do have a cheap wacom and could go over it with the paintbrush tool, or even just pen tool the whole thing, but I think I rather keep the grungy drawn feel for the specific piece I'm doing.
>>
>>315026
use vector magic instead of live trace my nigga
there's a hell of a difference between their results
>>
It is not cheating.

Experienced designers do work that way, from pencil and paper to Illustration.
>>
>>315009
If you have creative cloud, adobe capture (mobile) does image trace on the go and saves it as an svg in the cloud. Also captures photos, colors, brushes, etc. in the outside world
>>
I'd say go with whatever looks best to you. How you get there doesn't matter.
>>
>>315291
This. There are no rules, only tools. You can't cheat
>>
Who cares about "cheating"?
>>
>>315009
>'cheating'
OP, if you're worried about this being "cheating", you're not thinking like a graphic designer.
>>
using trace will never be as good as making it yourself
>>
>>315009
Aside from plagiarism, the concept of "cheating" in art (especially commercial) has always baffled me. You have an image in mind and/or an end goal, and its your job to use whatever tools your have at your disposal to achieve it. Art isn't about all of that "integrity" and "honor" bullshit, its creative problem solving, albeit sometimes your problem is that you just feel like making something.
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.