[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How do I start freelance?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 3

File: New-Store-draft-2.png (1MB, 888x1258px) Image search: [Google]
New-Store-draft-2.png
1MB, 888x1258px
Can anyone give me advice for starting to do some freelance graphic design? I started teaching myself graphic design over 10 years ago at a young age for fun. Fast forward I worked at my community college for 3-4 years doing the graphic design for posters/handouts for various events and clubs. I've designed everything for a small record label I manage as well for the past 4 years as well, my logo, website, some of the CDs minus the cover art, ads, merch, ect. Long story short I have experience to do flyers/posters/merch and now that I don't have my job at the community college (because I'm transferring) I want to expand on graphic design on the side, design some things for local businesses, help musicians with logos/merch/art/ect even if they aren't releasing under my label and are from a totally separate genre. My experience is in Illustrator and Gimp (I can do photoshop, but I prefer gimp and illustrator instead honestly because gimp feels better for the image editing aspect, and illustrator just allows me to save things as svgs and pdfs not constraining me to one resolution) As far as how I learned everything, I don't have a degree in gd because I'm majoring in business management, I self taught myself everything pretty much, I've taken a few gd classes at my college, but breezed through them because I taught myself so much through my job and whatnot.

How do I get my feet wet in freelance stuff? My thought was ask a customer what they want, show them 2-4 different versions of what they asked for under the conditions that they can't use any of it until paid, and then charge them after they choose what they liked in auditioned to any final edits if they wanted any.

This is my most recent flyer for my label, it's a black/doom metal label so the idea was to be simple and to the point like most of the ads I see in my mags and at shows, nothing groovy like in the hiphop scene.
>>
uhhhh
>>
*etc.
>>
>>314811
freelancer.com
>>
>>314811
That's pretty basic stuff 5-min-work in your pic, OP. I hope you designed those cd covers and not only copypaste everything in and just write some text with downloaded fonts
>>
>>316143

I only did work on the bottom left one, but I did everything else on the split. (i'll post the stuff I did in a sec)

I did a bit more than copy and paste on that ad, a few layers behind the text and whatnot, some modifying to the original image, it was meant to be clean and the the point to fit all 4 releases.
>>
File: 20170815_183902.jpg (1MB, 2560x1440px) Image search: [Google]
20170815_183902.jpg
1MB, 2560x1440px
>>316143
>>317037

Here's the stuff I did in it, I did the background image with a fractal I made and some star stuff, the only thing I would do different now is adding a boarder/glowy kind of thing to the text on the inside of the insert. I also did the arts in this string of post in the other thread >>316937 for my own stuff.
>>
Graphic design isn't a hobby. Don't do it professionally if you're not qualified, don't put your name to shit you designed badly for a band or something that will have a trash design forever.
>>
File: fb profile gooch.png (84KB, 1024x1024px) Image search: [Google]
fb profile gooch.png
84KB, 1024x1024px
>>317042

I have a feeling using the word freelance made me come off like I'm trying to build a home office or something, I'm talking about going to a guy who needs a poster done for a local event or a band who needs the album art. I'f you gave me your band logo and details for the release I can design your art, you want to have a carshow and need a banner? I can do that to. This is a version of a sticker I did for a business venture that I was involved with a few years ago with some friends, the only difference is in the final version the background was white, the text besides the logo was black, and I put a QR code on it so we could make stickers to leave at record stores. The venture didn't pull through for various reasons but there's still a few venues in Chicago with the sticker up and people still checking the code out.
Thread posts: 9
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.