[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Job Search: Skills Lacking

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 6
Thread images: 1

Starting a thread here due to lack of anywhere else more relevant.

I went to school for Industrial/Product Design. I've been in the professional work force for 3 years now, but I am not in the exact field that I would have imagined a few years ago. I've been cornered into more 3D modeling/Rendering jobs using Solidworks and Keyshot. These two programs were the ones that were focused on most in school so i am pretty well versed in how to use each. But for those who dont know, solidworks is more of an engineering program and Keyshot is a very light, easy rendering program. Nothing like Maya or V-Ray or the more powerful rendering/modeling software.

Also a major skill factor is sketching skills, pic related. i am alright but not good enough to be competitive in a very competitive job market.

So
>my 3D modeling skills are good, but I dont know the engineering aspects of the program so i am not really fit to apply for those jobs. and i dont know maya or the more common programs for someone who would be a 3D modeler.
>my rendering skills are good within keyshot, but keyshot is not highly used for people who expert in rendering.
>My sketching skills are okay but not impressive enough to really impress.

How am i supposed to deal with being average in this type of field? i feel like school didnt prepare me properly and then i got jobs that were more drafting/low level modeling and rendering and now i am kindof stuck in a spot where i dont know what to do next.

Can any one relate to this? Is it worth it to try to focus on building my skills and try to get my portfolio competitive again? or should i just give up and get a normie job.. i still have good creative skills and problem solve well which is crucial and to me the main part of the job, but its such a skill based field where they want to employ the best portfolio..
>>
>>313887
yes, infact i can relate, i went to school for gd and, i agree that a school cannot prepare you completely for today's job market and competition, the only thing you can do is work on your skills, im working in 3d modeling too but i do arch viz in unreal so i had to learn that shit like i was new in the field getting out of school, so what i did is apply my graphic design knowledge to put in special formats and graphics in my visualizations, try and branch out a little on something that interest you and you know you can put time into that wont feel like a burden.

i want to get into games or vr so imagine my stress when all i knew was graphic design stuff.

also is fusion 360 better then solidworks?
>>
>>313889
>fusion 360
im pretty sure its the same as solidworks, i never used it but someone at my company had to for a while. He said it was just a slightly more confuxing solidworks. but we both had only known SW so who knows.

Same on the learning new programs.. i feel like im goingto have to learn Maya or Rhino and and then at least another rendering program. all while getting my sketching skills to a level where they are actually impressive. seems so daunting, i wish i knew how much more i needed to get while still in school. and i wish i didnt waste the last 3 years with jobs that were not improving these skills too.
>>
>>313890
maybe i can help, for modeling in 3d i like 3ds max but if you want a complete package that has animation, rendering uvs and all that sweet stuff get maya, its industry standard (gaming and movies).

for rendering i all depends whats your final product, if your going for games go for unreal its very very good, but for products that need to be pristine use arnold which comes preinstalled in maya and its not as difficult to learn as vray.
>>
>>313887
Well looks like no one in this thread has any useful information because none of them took ID.

There is one very extremely important detail that you need to drill into your thick skull if you haven't fucking figured it out in 3 whole years of working. If you don't know how to SKETCH you will NOT become a designer, you will be a design technician of some-sorts. All you jobs will be working with/manipulating someone else idea and design.

I don't wanna sound like a dick, but I see kids like you crying all the time that they want to design but don't put in the hours every day learning how to actually sketch fast, and render effectively.

Until then I hope you enjoy being another cog in the system. You really should have understood the competitiveness of ID before going in.

I am going to give you the best tip of your entire life right now. Go on Behance and look at industrial design projects everyday, and everyday work towards making your stuff look as good as those projects. If you never get there then you will never become a designer.
>>
>>313948
i appreciate your feedback actually, that may be the kick i need to start really working.

sounds like you are in the field, do you have any additional resources or directions you could steel me to improve? i have the fundamentals down, as far as perspective ect. its my strokes/craftsmanship of lines and line weights that are holding me back.

also any stories from the field or things that may help? the place i work now, no one sketches at all, its all solidworks and keyshot. which adds to my lack of experience and no improvement and also my confidence to try.
Thread posts: 6
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.