[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What constitutes good design?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 2

File: 1472797135510.jpg (174KB, 2000x2000px) Image search: [Google]
1472797135510.jpg
174KB, 2000x2000px
Dieter Rams' second rule is that "Good design makes a product useful". Now consider the OP image, it's a Marshmallow sofa designed by George Nelson for Herman Miller. It retails for $5,700. It has an exhibit at MoMA, and an entry in Phaidon Design Classics

The catalog claims it's 'comfortable despite radical design', but after trying it in person I was very disappointed. The foam covered disks are incredibly flat and the entire frame is rigid. It feels like a sofa that wasn't designed with humans in mind.

If a simple product like a sofa fails to be comfortable then what good is it? Why did it win so many awards and so much praise? Why is this sofa 'better design' than a $200 Ikea Knopparp or whatever.
>>
Because someone can have a good idea like "Good design makes a product useful", and suck so bad at implementing it that they make a couch entirely out of barstool cushions.
>>
File: 1498203951222.jpg (144KB, 800x1375px) Image search: [Google]
1498203951222.jpg
144KB, 800x1375px
The top of any creative field is literally always rich faggots and jews circlejerking each other off—STOP looking up to them or trying to make sense of the situation if you ever hope to succeed.
>>
Most of today's graphic designers only know how to use adobe and don't really understand what "good design" is.
>>
>>312315
>Dieter Rams' second rule is that "Good design makes a product useful".

Here is an innovative concept for you: Words are just words, and you don't live in the 60s anymore. Dieter Rams is old and dying. So are his ideas.
>>
>>312333
>>312334
and it's pretty hilarious that you two fags represent simultaneous yet completely opposed, incompatible visions of why the design world sucks.

I just thought it was funny
>>
>>312338
How are they opposing, 90% of regular design is shit, the top 1% is shit, focus on the quality 9%, Sturgeon's Law.
>>
>>312333
>>312341
This is the one thing everyone should know about design. Copy and paste it with every occasion.
>>
>>312333
Modern art was promoted by the CIA is is mostly a money laundering operation

Sounds like a meme but its true, btw the last time i checked the 2 highest selling paintings are ugly as shit and were bought by the "State of Quatar"
>>
>>312347
Seconded
Or, thirded, rather
>>
>>312333
It's true. There's no pretentious secret to obtuse top level shit, it's just insanely rich people fucking around to entertain themselves. People get confused when they take it at face value. It's not really about the physical objects, it's about the entertainment, and throwing away giant wads of cash on impractical shit.
>>
Pretty good to see a fairly interesting thread about industrial design get derailed by a bunck of monkeys who irrationally hate modern art, rich people, or both.

Im glad that you guys discovered the world's worst-kept secret: yes, art is bought and sold through a speculative market. Shocker. Too bad this does not relate to Nelson's furniture in any way, shape or form.
>>
>>312415
>OP asks what makes the sofa good and why did it win awards
>gets the answer
>you complain
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.