[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

If you handed this in as a graphic design assignment you would

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 6

File: EXHI029441.jpg (312KB, 973x1280px) Image search: [Google]
EXHI029441.jpg
312KB, 973x1280px
If you handed this in as a graphic design assignment you would probably get failed by the teacher because most graphic design teachers are hacks that don't understand contemporary art or how design can be combined with art.

Yet this is the world of a well known artist and it's official work for the clothing brand mambo.
>>
File: 15356671.jpg (88KB, 960x960px) Image search: [Google]
15356671.jpg
88KB, 960x960px
lol 70% of this board gets mad if you don't do by the book
>>
in ze old country you do shit like this for 4 years in the 'graphics' programme at the national art academy
>>
>>312200
It's art, not graphic design.

Your professor would have every right to draw those distinctions, as this illustration has nothing to day-to-day branding, and probably was a one-off.
>>
>>312211
Have you seen mambos branding?

You are just a clueless idiot like most "designers" in the no talent age of adobe design programs that are glorified computer games.
>>
>>312211
"graphic design
noun
the art or skill of combining text and pictures in advertisements, magazines, or books."

It literally is graphic design.
>>
File: MAMBO-LOGO-retina.jpg (40KB, 340x120px) Image search: [Google]
MAMBO-LOGO-retina.jpg
40KB, 340x120px
>>312212
I have seen their branding, and there's no reason to call me a clueless idiot because I don't automatically agree with your silly reasoning.

Reading between the lines of your original post, I think your argument is closer to "I didn't get an A+ on my assignment because I decided not to follow directions that the professor gave me." And if that's the case, you're a poor designer who'll give a client neon green when they asked for brick red.
>>
>>312215
They aren't fucking professors. They are just teachers.. and nah. I know not to do anything creative if you want good marks in design school.

I learned that in my first month.
>>
>>312215
I can see it now...

OP: Here's a loose, willy-nilly drawing with hand-written text. Give me an A+ cause it's like this crummy illustration from Mambo.
Professor: The assignment was something completely different. C.
OP: HEY FAGS ON 4CHAN! TEACHERS KNOW SHIT! WHO AGREES WITH ME?!?!?!
>>
>>312215
Also why wouldn't I do what the client asked for you literal retard?
>>
>>312218
I literally have studied both art and design...

They get confused when not looking at typical. design because design degrees don't take much knowledge any more.
>>
>>312218
Also that drawing isn't willy nilly.

You are just a clueless new age designer...

It's a fucking shame the industry is full of hacks like you in the zero talent adobe age.
>>
Post your designs OP. I'm curious now.
>>
>>312222
My degrees are in fine art and design, too, and half a year was spent on non-computer assisted draftsmanship and color separarations for large scale printing in a time when you can easily avoid analog techniques.

I think your initial argument is flawed, and no matter how I try to phrase it, you're just going to call me an untalented hack anyway.
>>
>>312225
Lying on the internet.

>>312224
Nah, I have class mates who use 4chan.
This is where I can say what I really think and get it out of my system without the negative consequences of speaking your mind in real life.
>>
Literally the teacher never shuts up about how ugly graphic design was before computers and how everything should be digital because we are not living in an analogue age.

He is an idiot... sad thing is most of the students agree with him and he say's it as if his opinion is fact.
>>
File: Jux_SteadmanCvr.jpg (98KB, 282x364px) Image search: [Google]
Jux_SteadmanCvr.jpg
98KB, 282x364px
Design and art can come together sometimes.

Such as the cover of an art magazine...
This image would confuse the fuck out of most "creative type" designers though.
>>
>>312228
>would confuse the fuck out of most "creative type" designers though.

How on earth are you coming up with that conclusion? The cover is falling into a perfect grid with consistancy in the title, UPC, in-house style fonts, etc. The graphic design is perfect, and not at all unusual in the field.
The only thing "creative" is 'Vintage Gonzo' on top of Juxtapoz.
If that's your proof, find a better example.
>>
>>312229
Because I have went to design school... spoke to the teachers and I know how they think.

I know if my assignment was to do a magazine cover and I said that was all my work including the art the feed back would be

>The man is not very well done.
>The words vintage Dr.Gonzo look like a scribble should have tried used a type face instead of a crude scribble.

That shit is literally the kind of thing the clueless fucks would say.
>>
>>312226
>Nah, I have class mates who use 4chan.
Translation: I'm afraid of some I know and respect will recognize me, will realize that I don't know what I'm talking about and will never think highly of me because of my shitty attitude.

>>312231
THE MAN IS DRAWN BY RALPH FUCKING STEADMAN. FOR AN ARTICLE ABOUT RALPH FUCKING STEADMAN.
His handwriting is maybe more famous than his illustrations.
>>
>>312231
Not that I would bother showing them something like that in the first place.
>>
>>312233
They probably would think I don't know what I am talking about.

Smart people always seem stupid in the eyes of stupid people.

>>312233
>THE MAN IS DRAWN BY RALPH FUCKING STEADMAN. FOR AN ARTICLE ABOUT RALPH FUCKING STEADMAN.
His handwriting is maybe more famous than his illustrations.

and your point is? Are you trying to say you can't do artistic stuff unless you are as famous as Raph Steadman?
>>
>>312237
>Smart people always seem stupid in the eyes of stupid people.

/THREAD
>>
>>312238

Why do people care about graphic design so much that criticism of the industry is taken as an insult to them as an individual?
>>
>>312239
I dunno- thin skins and peacocking, I guess. I found >>312237 (and I presume that it's the same guy in other parts of this thread) to be a pompous ass, putting on airs and launching ad hom attacks on me for disagreeing, that using his own words to end a thread seemed like a good exit from banging my head against a wall.
>>
>>312247
Or you could think about what is being said rather than ignore it just because it contradicts your ideas.
>>
>>312250
I had. I disagreed, made my reasonings, and was called a moron and had my education questioned out of hand.
>>
>>312251
Because you are a moron and you started the insults first.
>>
File: poster03_pv_014.png (1MB, 724x1029px) Image search: [Google]
poster03_pv_014.png
1MB, 724x1029px
I think the problem here is that you went to a garbage school mate. And Im sorry about that (terrible design programs are a plague that has spread over the entire world) but dont think your experience is the standard
>>
>>312483
after reading the full thread I also came to the conclusion that you're a total asshole. Im not so sorry anymore
>>
>>312200
what was the brief op
post it or actually no balls

>Nah, I have class mates who use 4chan.
they probably already identified you by your pretentious fucking attitude
>>
>>312483
I just did some googling and found that many people say the staff are under paid compared to other places.

Perhaps that has something to do with it.
Thread posts: 32
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.