[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I want to be a designer

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 1

File: programmer.jpg (113KB, 690x330px) Image search: [Google]
programmer.jpg
113KB, 690x330px
I currently work as a software engineer at a 2nd rate big company in the bay area. I want to switch my career to a design related one in a few years. The sooner the better.

I've always thought of myself as more design oriented. When I watch movies, I naturally pay a lot of attention to the compositions, the angles of the camera, the colors, etc. When I hear a designer explain his thought process, I understand it immediately and apply it in my dev process.

Has anyone here successfully made the transition? Any advice/thoughts welcome.
>>
>>311236
Why on Earth would you do that? Don't do it. How much I wish I had the technical knowledge to do what you're working so I could leave this shit field.
>>
>>311252
Why not? Every field is shit. Programmers are treated like factory workers nowadays. I feel like I would be better off doing design work. Maybe i should find something in between, idk.
>>
>>311253
Because a software architect has double the salary. So if you're wasting 8 to 10 hours a day, then at least make it profitable.
>>
>>311253
Go into UX/UI design and specialize in that.
>>
>>311266
This, it's honestly the best of both worlds - using metrics, logic, and creativity to define and solve problems. Most dedicated positions don't really require programming knowledge at all, but it's a huuuuge asset.

Companies are starting to buy into UX/UI in a big way, too. Print is on the way out and any idiot nowadays can hack together a website or app with shit they found on github, but if you can prove you know how to design shit in a way that helps users do what they want (ie buy things) you'll be set for life.
>>
>>311270
And you think UI&UX is future proof? Drawing rectangles and arranging text with line icons on gradient overlays? Give me a break. AI will destroy UI/UX designers.
>>
>>311352
Programming is not future proof as well in that sense because most programmers and software engineers do mundane work. Being good at your job will be the true differentiator.
>>
>>311352
An AI can analyze patterns and even create assets, sure, but it will never be able to understand *why* a user clicked on X over Y, or didn't even move their mouse over a certain portion of the screen, or gave up halfway through a transaction. It will also never be able to explain to a client why that matters.

There is literally no aspect of society that is safe from automation if you simplify things like that, or look far enough down the line.
Thread posts: 9
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.