[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Am I getting scammed?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 2

File: 1482344914846.png (367KB, 568x454px) Image search: [Google]
1482344914846.png
367KB, 568x454px
So I applied to this small graphic design firm in Miami and got called for an interview today. This is the first time I go to an interview at a place like this, so I had literally no idea how it was going to go. They asked me pretty much the same questions as any other interview along with some technical shit. Overall the interview went pretty smoothly up until they told me they needed to "test" me. The owner and her secretary started digging through their files in front of me and presented me with 3 big pending projects they were supposed to work on. They told me that I needed to finish all 3 of them by tomorrow, no sketches, just final works. The owner told me to email them the works and then if I'm up to their standards, they'll call me and THEN they'll hire me. I left the building feeling like something was off, especially since their staff only consisted of 2 people including the owner and "outsourced" designers from India or something. Am I getting scammed into giving them free designs or are tests like these are common in the industry?
>>
I hope you told them to pay you upfront.
>>
>>311214
I didn't. They were so smooth about it telling me it was just part of their hiring process that I believed them and thought this was an industry standard.
>>
>>311218
send the designs with watermarks or just use common sense and search for the company's info online.
>>
What was the salary?
>>
>>311198
have you done any research yet?
>>
>>311220
This. Big fat watermark over the entire thing. That way its unusable if they scam you
>>
>>311198
Please give us an update.
They're totally taking advantage of you. It'd be one thing if they asked you to develop something original in their style, but uniquely yours, but to have you do three things without paying you that they would try to pass off as theirs? Bullshit.

What is this company? I think you owe it to other designers in your area to avoid them like the plague.
>>
>>311247
Edit: to tell other designers in your area to avoid them like the plague.
>>
File: 1493277355121.jpg (109KB, 720x714px) Image search: [Google]
1493277355121.jpg
109KB, 720x714px
>>311247
I decided to drop the projects altogether and ignore them. I was pulling an all-nighter working on this shit but my gut feeling after reading this thread and consulting on a couple of other people won in the end .They were offering to pay me $8/hr too so fuck that shit. I guess they took advantage of how naive I was since I had no experience in the field.
>>
>>311356
$8/hour?!
Proud of you, OP. You did the right thing, and are an example to follow.
>>
>>311356
Is this real? In the land of USA you get McD's wage for designing? I can't believe it.
>>
>>311356
I lack street smarts
>>
>>311356
i serve old people in a retirement home for 10/hr fuck that
>>
>>311356
op im from miami, what are these fucks called so i stay away
>>
>>311198
You are getting scammed, pure and simple. Don't do it. If they're shit enough to try stuff like this on before they've even employed you, think how much worse it could get once they get you into a contract. Walk away and be glad you did.
>>
Yeah skip this shit OP.

I once asked a similar studio owner in an interview to sign a contract saying the work wouldn't be used as a client project.

They fuckin' freaked out.
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.