[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Affinity Designer- thoughts?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 2

File: [email protected] (67KB, 300x273px) Image search: [Google]
affinity-designer@2x-080720151608.png
67KB, 300x273px
During break, my co-worker has been researching the Affinity Designer program suite (we have Adobe at work, but our boss is open to trying new things to stay on the cusp).

Do any of you use Affinity? If so, what's good about it? What's not good about it? How difficult is it to learn after a decade and a half of using Adobe?
>>
>>310798
The vector brushes are sweet. It just feels good drawing in AD
>>
File: fita metrica 2.jpg (83KB, 700x465px) Image search: [Google]
fita metrica 2.jpg
83KB, 700x465px
>>310798
search bit about Axure RP or protopie
>>
Stop viral marketing, you dumb Kraut cunt. No design editor would consider your low-budget wannabe programme as having anything to do with the "cusp."

I've been a designer for over a decade and the only place I've ever heard of this software is this board. Hmmm I wonder why I've never once heard an experienced designer mention this programme but on this anonymous forum there are constant threads asking to "share our thoughts."

Well there they are. You guys are second-rate developers and your German amateur programme will never get you anywhere.
>>
I don't know, but I'm skeptical. I get the feeling they're not trying to compete with Adobe at the studio / pro level, but are trying to make money out of all those hobbyists that just pirate photoshop because the next alternative is fucking GIMP.

They were actually at WWDC the other day with the iPad pro, which is weird as hell.
>>
>>310880

rekt
>>
>>310880
What the fuck is your problem, asshole? We know LITERALLY NOTHING about it, so I'm asking for opinions. What the fuck is the point of this board if not to generate conversation? I mean, there's tons of threads with shitty work to critique if you got an chip on your shoulder.

Obviously you don't care for the program. If you're done being a mouth-breathing, limp-dicked turd, care to expound on why you don't like it, so my co-work can potentially stop wasting time researching this?
>>
>>310880
>I've been a designer for over a decade and the only place I've ever heard of this software is this board.

^^ Yeah, this.

I've never personally met a single perofessional designer, ever, that uses this level of cut-rate software.

You'll find the occasional fan of Corel Draw, or Quark Xpress. Those guys are considered "odd" by the rest of us.

But Affinity? GIMP? Please. We're too busy making money with Adobe software to care about learning some fringe gfx app that may not even be further developed at some point.
>>
>>311282
Fair enough. We use Adobe, and I guess we'll stick with it. Thanks for not being an a-hole.
>>
>>310886
>They were actually at WWDC the other day with the iPad pro, which is weird as hell.

Because EVERY designer wants to draw precision vectors with their finger on a glass screen.
>>
>ITT designer homosexuals

As usual, no actual arguments on why the software can't perform: just pure "duuhhh I am such a pro and NO ONE in the business uses it, else I would know"

I am so glad I stopped trying to become a "graphic designer" to switch to CS and development, even the smelly basement nerds aren't that faggy and autistic
>>
I'm a GD student and I really like it. Once I'm a professional I would prefer to get Adobe software though. You can do just as much stuff but it's not as straightforward
>>
I like it. It doesn't have all the features of adobe. My favorite thing about ti is that it's in-between photoshop and illustrator. Based on how I work, I like having both capabilities without having to switch between two programs.

That said, it doesn't have all the features. If you are well versed in Adobe, you might have a challenges with some of the things it doesn't offer. It's significantly faster though.

It is more of a drawing program than photoshop or illustrator. Comparing to illustrator, it lacks some of the precision that you would require in making vector icons. But it's much better for making an illustration.

While affinity is great at what it does, I feel like it's usefulness in work environments is limited. Unless you specialize in illustration. If your focus is on branding or UI it would be less valuable. All of these programs have something they're best at, even though they make look replaceable. What is the nature of your work? That would best help me recommend.
>>
>>310880
>>311282
adobe shill detected
>>
>>312281
OP here. Your review is the most helpful.

>Unless you specialize in illustration
_I_ do, so I might put it on my christmas/birthday wishlist (because I already have Adobe at home).

>What is the nature of your work?
Preflight and some design work at a print shop. While we do get opportunities for original graphic design, and more frequently "you know this won't work for print, right? Let us re-arrange things and tweak it so it will actually work for what you want in the end result," it sounds like Affinity won't be worth the investment of time (to learn it) and money (even at a pittance compared to an Adobe subscription).

Many thanks!
>>
>>312305
>put it on my christmas/birthday Wishlist
(to clarify: because it's probably something I wouldn't spend on myself, but would be a nice gesture for a relative who doesn't want to figure out my taste in books or movies)
>>
>>310798
I started using Affinity Photo.

The workflow is simply a little *different* from photoshop. The basics are all there, in fact I feel a bit more relaxed when working with AP, the only thing I find a bit troubling is working with mask shapes and stuff, since you don't specifically have the "clipping" option for the layers below.

Don't know about Illustrator tho.
>>
I played around with it a little bit.

It feels way more intuitive and straightforward than Illustrator but it's missing a lot of features. I'll check it out again in a couple years.
Thread posts: 18
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.