[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I'm about to become a freelance graphic designer. I'm

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1

File: moustache-mp-2.jpg (132KB, 600x600px) Image search: [Google]
moustache-mp-2.jpg
132KB, 600x600px
I'm about to become a freelance graphic designer.
I'm considering marketing myself as a studio to get better paying clients, rather than an individual creative. I have no problem in creative a high standard of work.

What do you think? How many of you market yourself as a studio when you're not?
>>
>>308778
>How many of you market yourself as a studio when you're not?
I did that when I started. Landed a couple of crappy freelance jobs that payed crap.
It started working out when I joined with a coupe of friends and actually created a studio of our own.
>>
>>308778

you're not a studio.
Let people know what you do.
Don't lie to your clients.
Work speaks for itself.
>>
>>308778
I don't see the problem with hiding behind a moniker as long as it's professional and not some XxDesigner_69xX, especially if you live in a second/third world country as long as the results are worthwhile.
>>
I recently helped a long term client find a new designer. The guy is not very design savvy, but even he could sense when a website was lying about the size of its team. Just be honest. By making yourself seem smaller, more "hands on", and more busy, you may even attract better clients.
>>
>>308778
if your work is good enough you dont need to do that. Plus youd need to keep up multiple email addresses. lame gay bad idea
>>
>>308778
> Make website
> Keep all your agreement and papers ready.
> Call clients everyday
> deliver in time
> Make Good Ads (Plus point for campaign) and Promote yourself.

I'm doing from past 2 years .
Its better than being a wageslave.
>>
>>309810
But you have so many more options with a studio name that you can spin around in your favor, meanwhile with a first and second name you can only do so much in terms of exposure, even less so if you're not in the anglophone world but want to work internationally.
>>309819
What do you mean by ads? Like Google Ads? Why would you want to attract that kind of customer?
>>
>>309877
>But you have so many more options with a studio name that you can spin around in your favor

Yes, and those clients will expect the quality, level of communication and turnaround time of an actual studio. Which you are not. So maybe you'll rope in a client who doesn't know any better, fail to meet their expectations, then the word of mouth starts spreading and you've fucked yourself.

I don't care how good you think you are, you are only 1 person. Stop being dumb.
>>
>>309883
As a sole digital designer it would actually benefit me because I don't have to wait for the opinions of my colleagues, their votes, time-consuming meetings, (useless re-)changes only to satisfy the whims of some product manager. I can jump straight in and get working on my idea without wasting any time. If I know what I do and how much it will take me, the project will be delivered on time. Freelancers work faster than agencies (if we're talking about design alone and no development). The larger the agency, the slower it becomes. And if a prospective client contacts me, hypothetically speaking, this means that my portfolio raised their interest, so the quality should be there, at least in theory.
>>
>>309877
loads of people go by different names.
who is beeple
>>
>>309886
>I don't have to wait for the opinions of my colleagues, their votes, time-consuming meetings, (useless re-)changes only to satisfy the whims of some product manager.

Okay but you can do all that without misrepresenting yourself to the client.

What happens when they want a face-to-face meeting, or want to speak with one of your other designers on Skype? Any serious client in the market to hire an agency is going to want to at least do a round-table introduction with every member of the team to make sure they're getting their money's worth.

How old are you? I'm not trying to shit on you but this is really dumb and really, really pointless.
>>
>>309891
I'm not from the US. You probably can't pronounce my name, let alone memorize it. It would be less restrictive of me to come up with something more memorable since the target market we're talking about is the Western world. My first name has a diacritic in it that few Latin typefaces have it included as an alternative glyph and all of them are the default ones (Helvetica, TNR, etc.), which limits my branding strategy.

Communication shouldn't be an issue since I'll be responsive to their concerns and I don't see the need for other formalities. After all, the contract protects them (and me as well) in case it all goes wrong. Of course I can calculate a reasonable ETA so I don't fall short and burn myself in the process. Even more so, in the future I can expand it to include other people, if things grow out of scope and, I still get to keep my retention. Again, I'm talking about simple stuff, like branding and UI/UX, not 3D, VFX, web & mobile development which indeed, requires more hands.
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.