[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Are famous designers/design agencies a scam?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 37
Thread images: 7

File: hillary.png (11KB, 1195x1024px) Image search: [Google]
hillary.png
11KB, 1195x1024px
Are famous designers/design agencies a scam?
>>
>>307567
it should be self evident

just ask yourself
are the top 10 most popular [insert literally anything here, musicians, movies, presidents, books, actors] actually the best quality?
>>
>>307567
Yes. Considering how much work this DIDN'T take and how much work this person probably DID get paid, yes.
>>
>>307567
The value of a famous agency is less in the actual design and more in the budget you've committed to allowing meticulous research, extensive focus and a/b testing, and worst-case in "we used XYZ" becoming a positive media event in itself as it's a way of conspicuously signaling that you're a well-established and luxury brand while freeing up your actual design to be fresher and less stodgy.

Honestly, this is a good design within the restrictions of the English language and American political design; when you're reading left-to-right and can only use the colors red and blue+have to use both because muh flags, it's entirely the candidate's fault that it scans as "moving to the right" and "blue on the outside, red on the inside" rather than "moving forward, no seriously we had to make the arrow a different color because the whole thing monochrome looks like a microdick with phimosis".
>>
I look at it from the angle:
>spent more money on design than Trump did on his entire campaign
>had all other odds in her favor as well
>Trump's T-penetrating-P still won

So not only is the final product trash in itself (red arrow pointing to the right) but everything else they did to rationalize it, like research and "market" testing, were lies as well. Basically a scam, I'd ask for my money back desu.
>>
>>307644
The thing being, it did what it was explicitly designed to do - produce a majority of the popular vote by resonating among the suburban political center.

That's not the sign of a bad ad, that's the sign of a good hamburger ad that the client then decides they're going to run across India based on positive test marketing in Kashmir.
>>
A lot of Hillary's shit was actually pretty well designed all things considered compared to Trump's stuff.

It resonated with designers I think (who seemed to be more left-center anyways) but not with the general public because of muh emails

Obama's stuff was pretty good too, but the whole "branding thing" didn't seem to be big at the initial point of Obama being elected

I don't know who did any of the shit for any company so company doesn't mean shit
>>
>Are famous designers/design agencies a scam?
not more so than any designer

>Is Pentagram a shit ?
yes, definitely
>>
A politician doesn't need a logo in the first place, not to mention justifying wasting six figures on it. I hope that no sane person takes a logo into consideration when voting for someone. But who cares anyways, it's dirty oil money for an impostor who got lucky. It's as if Pentagram can't afford buying some other typefaces and they're reusing the same geometric sans for every major (re)branding.
>>
File: lucid dream.png (471KB, 1150x539px) Image search: [Google]
lucid dream.png
471KB, 1150x539px
>>
>>307642
>inb4 spergs with zero real work exp. come in and claim research and brand strategy are memes

Seriously, once you mention research it's inevitable.
>>
>>307711
>I hope that no sane person takes a logo into consideration when voting for someone.
why are you even on this board?
>>
File: giphy.gif (81KB, 220x198px) Image search: [Google]
giphy.gif
81KB, 220x198px
>>307804
Are you kidding me? One person in the whole country is responsible for the most important aspects of a nation's future, and you care about his/her logo? Don't you have some priorities ahead? Don't you have some other questions first? How is a good or bad logo influencing the political decisions? I can't even...
>>
>>307811
people vote a candidate for his personal image, not his political decisions
>>
File: 4L_MOyNty5q.jpg (116KB, 761x800px) Image search: [Google]
4L_MOyNty5q.jpg
116KB, 761x800px
>>307811
>>
File: 1484788899395.gif (461KB, 350x232px) Image search: [Google]
1484788899395.gif
461KB, 350x232px
is Pentagon the donald trump of the design world?
>>
>>307812
I too was 16 once
>>
>>307889
are you in denial or just retarded?
americans voted obama because he's black
americans voted clinton because she's a woman
americans voted trump because he's an "outsider"
>>
>>307902
>
>
>

man you're gonna be really shocked once you learn what a political party is
>>
>>307910
ok you're retarded
>>
>>307627
Thing is, the campaign willingly put up the gobs of money. The value is dictated by what people are willing to pay. A scam insinuates that there is some sort of inherent dishonesty in the dealing. Since the campaign willing fully and knowingly spent the money and the design company willing fully and knowingly took it, no one was scamming anyone
>>
>>307935
Depends on what the deal was/what the agency claimed. For example, if they claimed their branding will guarantee winning the election, and if that's what got the campaign to put up the money, it's a scam.
>>
>>307711
HEY DUDE GRAPHIC DESIGN, ITS ABOUT YA KNOW, PUTING IDEAS INTO PEOPLES HEADS, DUDE ITS LIKE, HYPNOSIS DUDE, LIKE, THE M IN MACDONALDS WAS MADE FOR YOU TO LIKE DICKS OR SOMETHING IDK.
>>
>>307910
you fucking retards are fucking retarded
>>
>>307711
>It's as if Pentagram can't afford buying some other typefaces and they're reusing the same geometric sans for every major (re)branding.

Clients pay for the typeface, what do you mean?
>>
>>308100
What I meant by that is that most of their branding projects use the same typeface family.
>>
While I admire the logo itself for its simplicity and effect, the circumstances behind its creation is unbelievable.

> Right we need something to do with Hillary and progressiveness
> what about a H with an arrow going through it
> genius idea, now lets charge her literally fucking millions for it.
>>
>>307642
ty for being the voice of reason.

something said everytime people whine about this shit is that the logo wasn't the only deliverable here. there's a whole system of design to be looked at.
>>
File: 1495671695823.png (329KB, 1048x1291px) Image search: [Google]
1495671695823.png
329KB, 1048x1291px
>>309313
>there's a whole system of design to be looked at

And it's all shit!
>>
>>309315
But the same modification for someone not as much of a tonedeaf triangulator would read as moving Rosa to the front of the bus.

Think of it like food advertising. What's the best way to advertise mass-market food, usually? Show a big heaping pile of it, nothing but it no sides or extra condiments, fresh out of/off the oven.
Now do this with Japanese curry, and it turns into an advertisement for Charmin or Depends.
>>
>>309345
>But the same modification for someone not as much of a tonedeaf

Blaming the audience is something amateurs do, not a world class agency.
>>
>>309348
Client, not audience. At the end of the day your job is to help identify things which could be the client's strengths and then evoke them, and if the client then runs away from those strengths as fast as possible you end up with nothing but memes.
>>
>>309315
Why though? Give some more criticality than an iffy use of the system.

It doesn't blow my socks off aesthetically, but that's not the point. The explanation for all the material seems perfectly sound to me.
>>
File: FUUUUCK.jpg (47KB, 640x427px) Image search: [Google]
FUUUUCK.jpg
47KB, 640x427px
>>309362
>We will always need perfectly adequate farming you understand if you live in a place that is poor enough the adequate graphic designer is just someone who starves to death DO YOU UNDERSTAND THIS?
>>
>>309370
This is an English-language board, you're looking for >>/int/
>>
>>307644
>>307567
>a campaign's logo is a fundamental part of its success guise!
oh my god /gd/ is so fucking retarded. clinton was just a worse candidate for swing states, hands down.
in terms of a design system it was very well thought out though. just goes to show that a shiny logo and typography system isn't everything
>>
its cute for you all to wank over the logo

but its probably going to be like at least only a 6th of the whole branding project, if there were any

you should look at what the logo looks like on collateral, stuff like flyers, billboards, kill orders, emails, etc

you could literally make a blue H and you all would know it as Hilary, they even managed to add in part of the campaign slogan meme and it was probably done in under an hour (disregarding the logo system which i honestly never saw)

else, see >>307627

i do enjoy people saying "its shit" and not really being able to say why, just because it's not in the artsyle you like doesn't mean its automatically garbage, rationalise why its garbage

besides, being able to properly explain why a design is bad will help convince potential clients you're worth hiring ;)
Thread posts: 37
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.