[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is it actually required to know a lot of math when doing graphic

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 2

File: FB_IMG_1480032611505.jpg (179KB, 1445x1445px) Image search: [Google]
FB_IMG_1480032611505.jpg
179KB, 1445x1445px
Is it actually required to know a lot of math when doing graphic design, atleast when you get an education? I've been doing it for almost 2 years now and haven't really needed it that much, I just always hear people say that I need to be good at it if I want it to work, but I'm god awful at math.

Pic is a little 30min edit I made just for shits.
>>
>>307535
Id imagine a decade ago it was important, and two decades ago essential. But now whatever your using can be automatically calculated. Still helpful to know basics though.
>>
If you're obsessive with your layouts, yeah. And you should be obsessive about layout. But even then, it's mostly geometry, fractions and conversions. All of which can be done on a calculator. If you've got solid spacial reasoning skills, you should be fine even if you suck at math like I do.
>>
No, 0% Math beyond the ability to use a calculator
>>
whats math?
>>
File: 1494301769275.png (1MB, 441x603px) Image search: [Google]
1494301769275.png
1MB, 441x603px
I used to do Doom levels in Doom Builder 2 and needed to know some high-school trigonometry to calculate angles of stuff.
>>
>>308057
That is development, not design.
nowadays, level designers are not required to do that stuff, only programers working or building engines.

ALSO NONE OF THIS IS STRICTLY GRAPHIC, level design is suposed to be mostly topology and concepts of game design (example: chokepoints).

Enviromental design is graphic, modeling is graphic, texture design is graphic.
>>
>>307535
Orlosk. why do i have to find this guy here
>>
>>307535
no
>>
You need to know basic math, fractions, percentages.

Just as important is a solid skillset in grammar and spelling.
>>
Most of the time you don't even need to know how to DO the math yourself, just how to write the calculation. For example, want your canvas to be a 1:1.4 ratio just type one dimension (let's say width 16") then for your other dimension type 16*1.4 and hit enter.

I was working with a very strict grid system for a brand where they actually had formulas to calculate the margins and grids depending on the media size. I let InDesign do all the calculating that way.
Thread posts: 11
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.