[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Readability

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 44
Thread images: 9

File: dictsample.png (198KB, 541x768px) Image search: [Google]
dictsample.png
198KB, 541x768px
I'm currently working on a dictionary of historic slang, and I wanted to gather some feedback regarding my page layout and the structure of my lemmata.
So far I feel like I'm doing a quite good job presenting words, their meanings and their source, aswell as etymology (on this page currently only mannequin has one).
I'd be thankful for any feedback.

On /lit/ I was kindly told to ask on a board related to design, so please don't send me there.
>>
Actually not bad mate, great effort. There are a few easy fixes that could really improve it.

a) The gutter (space between the two columns) is a bit small, this makes the text looks crowded. Decrease your font size and increase the gutter.

b) Boldening the word doesn't really present enough hierarchy. Use indents, outdents, line breaks, colour, or a combination of all to further delineate word from definition, right now they read all mushed together.

c) Having '434-471' and '14' in the same alignment on the page can confuse people looking for the page number. For technical documents / dictionaries, page number centered!

cheers
>>
This is a great idea, I love it. I suppose the only thing I'd say is that in the case of etymology I'd put the country/place of origin in some form of highlight, I.e:

{German}
/German/
GERMAN
-German-

Etc
>>
Thanks for the excellent feedback!
>>306074
>increasing gutter and decreasing font size
I'll try that
>The boldening is actually just to make it easier for the eye to find the main word of a Lemma, while blurring out the rest. Thus I will keep that.
>alignment of pahenumbers and lemma numbers
you are right it is confusing. I'll however not change the alignment, as I like it when the numbers are close to outer corners. instead I will put them in brackets like for the Lemmata
>>306075
Good idea. I'll use an all caps font for that!

New samplepage coming soon.
>>
File: dictsample2.png (148KB, 536x760px) Image search: [Google]
dictsample2.png
148KB, 536x760px
Finally the new sample.
I changed the gutter and the font of language names (Togeman has Latin).
Changing the font size looked horrible to me, so I didn't do it.
>>
>>306693
I actually prefer the tightness of the first one.
I has much more of a classic feel to it.
>>
File: dictsample3.png (143KB, 536x760px) Image search: [Google]
dictsample3.png
143KB, 536x760px
>>306705
>>
>>306060
Have you tried it all ranged left?
>>
File: dictsample4_rejected.png (101KB, 536x760px) Image search: [Google]
dictsample4_rejected.png
101KB, 536x760px
>>306754
Like this?
That's genuinely disgusting.
>>
>>306706
I like it.
>>
>>306706
I don't know what's going on with the kerning of figures and brackets but you really need to fix that.

>>306755
I'm not sure he meant only one column, just flush left with 2 columns like before. Might improve the spacing...
>>
>>306769
> kerning of figures and brackets
what do you mean?

>just flush left with 2 columns like before
I'll try that, but I don't think it will look pleasing...
>>
File: kern_fig.jpg (29KB, 236x66px) Image search: [Google]
kern_fig.jpg
29KB, 236x66px
>>306770
Probably because you use tabular figures instead of proportional figures, but it looks like there is other incoherences I can't explain. Anyway just just to proportional figures in the opentype features and let's see.
>>
File: acrobatshot.png (152KB, 422x830px) Image search: [Google]
acrobatshot.png
152KB, 422x830px
>>306801
Turns out that's a problem of gimp when rendering the sample page. In acrobat reader it looks fine.
>>
shit typeface
fucked kerning
shit alignments
shit hierarchy
shit margins

step 1. open a dictionary
step 2. copy it
>>
>>306842
Spacing is still a big issue, you should reduce the typeface to get more signs per line or enlarge your columns/format. Not sure what your constraints are. But be advised that gimp is definetly not the software you should use to set type.

>>306843
I'm not a fan of Computer Modern but it's not a shitty typeface. Though it might not be the best choice for a dictionnary because of the high cap size or the (too) generous width for example.
>>
>>306858
I just used gimp to render a full page sample for 4chan. I'm setting the whole thing in Latex and can easily cahnge the overall setting of the entire book.
>>
>>306858
regarding the typeface: I haven't changed it at all so far, so it is just the standard font. You can suggest better ones, to use.
>>
>>306858
it's a shit typeface because of it's stroke widths, small counters, and lack of bracketing. at body type sizes like the roman styles look retarded and is 2/10 borderline unreadable elbows too pointy

semi joking but for real that shit is annoying to read.
>>
>>306861
It could be better but it's not shit. Anyway I'm not sure there is much choice on Latex and CM is definetly the more matured one.
>>
>>306865
nah it's the serif equivalent of using ITC avant garde as a body-face. latex is clearly great at some shit but CM does not have a place in body text
>>
File: anothersample.png (200KB, 603x846px) Image search: [Google]
anothersample.png
200KB, 603x846px
Is this font better?
I'll try to fix the spacing in the meantime.
>>
>>306871
Depends what you mean by body size. The intended size of CM is around 12-13 points I guess. Thesis papers on an A4 with one column. It's not really a display typeface, you can't compare it with avant garde...
>>
>>306878
the book is intended to be printed in A5 size.
>>
>>306877
Yeah much better. And the spacing is already better, you don't need much.
>>
File: doublesample.png (291KB, 850x602px) Image search: [Google]
doublesample.png
291KB, 850x602px
>>306880
Here's a sample of it as it would be printed left/right in a book.
>>
>>306879
Yeah but I wasn't referring to that don't worry. Be careful there is still "1020" in the other typeface, top right
>>
>>306882
Well spotted! I'll have to change that.
>>
>>306883
Fixed it, but won't post a new sample just to prove that tiny correction.
>>
>>306884
I think you can remove 1pt in size to get a better spacing. And move the block of text a bit to the outside to get bigger inner margins. How many pages will you have?
>>
>>306885
the final book will probably have 200 pages.
>>
>>306885
I meant between 0,5 and 1pt
>>
>>306886
Then you definetly need bigger margins. Also, it feels a bit weird to me that there is no punctuation separating the word from the definition. Maybe add a comma after the word number. Also sometimes there is a cap at the beginning of the definition and sometimes not. I would advise you to remove the caps if possible, especially if you have something else to separate.
>>
>>306893
in the current state, I'm mostly copying from the historic sources 1:1, so I can spot certain types of errors between the sources. I will remove unnecessary caps when reworking the whole book after extracting all sources.

There is no seperator, because grammatically none is valid. "Words in a language" are italic or bold, "definitions and explanations" are normal, "names of languages" are in an all caps font thingy. I will not change that particular part of the design. I have firmly decided to do it this particular way.
>>
If you're going to justify the page, make sure to copy these settings
https://www.creativeprogression . com/resolving-indesigns-justification-problems/
>>
>>307001
He's using Latex
>>
File: samplesmallfont.png (328KB, 916x648px) Image search: [Google]
samplesmallfont.png
328KB, 916x648px
Alright, here's a sample with a smaller font size.
>>
>>307084
absolutely unreadable
>>
It's torture mate
Increase the gutter space
Keep the bold just change the font
Then tab/indent for the definitions
Keep multiple line definitely indented

MAKE THE FORMAT EASY ON THE EYES TO SEARCH / SEAN!!!

THAT'S the big one
>>
Wow, OP, it's actually perfect. Incredible how perfectly you designed this dictionary. Wow, Lemmata. Wow, great. No need to take anybody's feedback on board, you've hit the nail on the head.

Well done.

>>>/bye now/
>>
>>307084
I can't believe I didn't saw it before, you need to hyphenate!! That's why the spacing is shit.
And then you'll probably be able to put bigger inner margins and increase the width of the gutter a bit.
>>
It's good, but don't right justify - it makes the word spacing too gappy in the narrow column width (and don't hyphenate if you can get away with it).

In academic texts - where concentrating on the conent is paramount - it helps the reader keep his place on the page if the right is - he subconciouslcy remembers where in the page he is by the shape of the column of text. It's much more difficult in a featureless block.
>>
>>307210
I switched off hypenation for certain reasons. I'll switch it back on...
>>
>>307255
You can change hyphenation rules to only hyphenate words over 5 letters long, 6, 7,8 etc.
Thread posts: 44
Thread images: 9

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.