[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Hey guys, I've been messing with ideas for an album cover

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 48
Thread images: 8

File: sml1.jpg (215KB, 588x588px) Image search: [Google]
sml1.jpg
215KB, 588x588px
Hey guys, I've been messing with ideas for an album cover for my band. I've painted them then taken photos and done some editing in PS. The decision seems to be split between two covers. What does /gd/ think? Honesty is appreciated. Just for reference the music is kinda garage/punk
>>
File: sml2.jpg (162KB, 612x612px) Image search: [Google]
sml2.jpg
162KB, 612x612px
Second design
>>
I like the second one of the car, but without the bottles - why not just have it by itself? the painting is good enough
>>
File: sml3.jpg (128KB, 600x600px) Image search: [Google]
sml3.jpg
128KB, 600x600px
>>305535
i do have this version. haven't really edited it but i see what you mean.. Thanks for the critique
>>
>>305535
oh and the painting is literally on the bottles
>>
>>305533
the first one is great
>>
>>305533
I vote for the first one. The second one looks great too but, IMHO, it has too much going on. The second looks like some fancy decoration a rich old guy would have in his apartment. In contrast, the first one screams punk.
>>
>>305543
thats a good point. i was kinda leaning towards that myself, thanks heaps :)

>>305542
thanks anon !
>>
First one's greaat. The eyes are little funky though. I don't like them.
>>
>>305533
>>
>>305549
Yeah. Co-signed
>>
dude fucking props for actually making something by hand! i like both!!
>>
>>305568
thanks heaps man, means alot !!!
>>
Could be better.
>>
>>305601
that's much worse than op's though
like 300 times worse

op's is actually amazing
>>
Dunno if you still wanna hear this but the first one is better imo. It's far more eye catching.

Also I've heard that album covers with faces on do better generally.
>>
>>305533
>>305534
Gratz OP, both loo really good.
I think I like the first one better (though the eyes look a little off and you might have oversaturated the colors a little too much)
Guess it depends on what kind of music your band makes. First one gives me a young, dirty, energetic vibe, second one seems more mature, calmer and even a little bit pretentious.
>>
>>305601
love that album
>>
>>305533,>>305534

THIS IS NOT A DESIGN THIS IS PAINTING LAZY SHIT STAINS . AVOIDING MEANING IS NOT DESIGN. DESIGN IS VISUAL COMMUNICATION. IF YOU CAN'T SAY SOMETHING THOUGHT OUT SHUT THE FUCK UP OKAY.
>>
>>305646
>implying painting isn't visual communication
>>
>>305647
he has a point though
>>
>>305653
>>305646
no he hasn't
oh muh design needs to be made in photoshup! the only way to d-design, r-right? bunch of fucking amateurs with no education get the fuck off my board
>>
>>305663
I think regardless of whether or not it counts as design, OP's painting is ugly and unappealing as fuck and isn't as interesting or as cool as he'd hope.

I'm also sick to death of all of these threads about album covers.
>>
>>305533
>>305534
Great work. Good to see you here anon. I wish you get rich and famous.

First one is the best . Go for it without doubt.
>>
>>305666
maybe someday you'll stop being an edgy cunt and open your eyes a little bit more, stay in your corner, amateur
>>
>>305674
You know what's actually edgy and amateur? OP's painting.
>>
>>305685
Okay, how about you show us some of your work?
>>
>>305685
don't be a buttmad hater senpai, make something too. share in the infinite well of creativity and joy. be the hollow bamboo and let god play your anus like a flute
>>
Want to echo some other snetiments in this thread.

The car would be realy great, exactly as it is if it were on paper and not on the bottles. If you can recreate that and have it on a pure white back ground, without any text, I think that would make a sick album/EP cover.

Between your two choices, the first image you posted is best imo. I don't think it looks edgy or try hard; I actually think you did a good job, it can be difficult to go for that style and have it come across artistic as opposed to "he's just painting like that because he can't actually paint" - if you look at Damien Hirsts skull paintings, they're awful.

Any way, be sure to post your final cover a long with the link in the crit thread once it's done because I'm interested to see how it turns out, there's not enough of this sort of work on /gd/, it's refreshing to not have to crit another E-sports logo/youtube banner/personal logotype.
>>
>>305666
>>305685
I think you're missing the point. You're entitled to say what you want about it that's the point of this thread... but you should realise I'm not trying to come off as some masterful painter here. It's a 5 minute painting for a punk band, it's not meant to look pretty. How about instead of being an edgelord you give actual constructive criticism. Some people think picaso sucks and hate his work but don't realise he could do fucking renaissance paintings when he was a teenager.

>>305714
I appreciate that heaps as that is pretty much what I was going for. Great critique.. thanks anon. I think after all this feedback I'm really leaning towards the first painting. Maybe i could try something else with the other car and give it a go on a blank surface, we'll see. Thanks though !!!
>>
>>305735
Yeah, I don't care if you can do "renaissance paintings." My opinion of this particular piece is that it sucks and it's ugly. How long you spent on it, and what your abilities are like elsewhere has absolutely no bearing on that.

But that closely matches my opinion of most punk music, so I guess it's a good fit?

The car crash painting is kinda cool, tho.
>>
>>305743
oh fuck off you untalented wanker
>>
>>305743
Do you even know what punk is? Have you ever heard of Dada? Are you really that retarded?
>>
File: punk.jpg (288KB, 588x588px) Image search: [Google]
punk.jpg
288KB, 588x588px
first one is great but too colourful IMO

slap some text on there (do it messily with a real brush & ink)
>>
>>305533
First one is definitely better, I actually likr the over saturated colors. The background is a bit weird tho, not sure what it is.

Have you thought about the text that needs to be on the cover as well?
I'm terrible at colors but I somehow think that it's gonna be hard to choose a good color for the text as you've already used many in the painting.
>>
File: punk2.jpg (277KB, 588x588px) Image search: [Google]
punk2.jpg
277KB, 588x588px
no wait holdup - this is much better text placement
>>
>>306113
>HOW DARE YOU DISLIKE SOMETHING I LIKE REEEEEEEE ARE YOU RETARDED??
>>
>>306116
fuck off you retard, you have no knowledge about graphic design, you have no eye, you are autistic and deluded if u think that's good
>>
>>306116
god stuff, but i would rather desaturate the picture than take all the colour out of it
>>
File: punk3.jpg (334KB, 588x588px) Image search: [Google]
punk3.jpg
334KB, 588x588px
>>306139
yeah you're right

also
>>306125
lol nice bait
>>
>>305533
1st one is nice. eye-catching desu.
>>
>>306120
>haha i'm going to go into this peaceful and constructive thread about [thing I hate] and shitpost about how much I hate [thing I hate] !!!!
>"get out shitposter"
>WAAAHAHHHH ITS MY OPINION WAHHH U CYBERNAZI I CAN POST MY OPINION WAHHH BOOOHOOO

yeah you're a faggot
pretty pathetic that you have nothing better to do than this
>>
>>306150
>peaceful and constructive
>shitpost
everyone in the thread was sucking op's dick, talking about how fabulous his painting is. that's pretty rare around here. I figured I'd give my dissenting opinion. why are you so upset? sorry for not agreeing with you, I guess?
>>
>>306163
shouldn't you be doing some homework?
>>
>>306141
no, he's right. this looks like shit.
>>
For once something looks somewhat original without being shit or following a clear-as-day god damn trend.

First one is great. Go with that. Careful with the typography- when the artwork is center stage for covers, avoid slapping on the band name and album title willy nilly like that anon. Try different typefaces, print that shit out and see if it looks good. You're designing for print, so many shitheads on /gd/ have monstrously big type for albums. Don't be one of them. Also, decide if you want the type to be a statement, or an afterthought.

2nd ones cool but doesn't look particularly punk at all. Looks like something for an odd indie band imo.
>>
File: GaryBusey.jpg (257KB, 1400x596px) Image search: [Google]
GaryBusey.jpg
257KB, 1400x596px
>>305533

Gary Busey DEMANDS that you stop using his image!
Gary Busey is PISSED!
Gary Busey is sending his lawyers NOW!
>>
>>305534
I would be interested in seeing this on an all white background, like white painted wood to match the background or just a white sheet, both with and with out the flower arrangement. Otherwise the first tops it for an album cover, both are fun though, nice work.
Thread posts: 48
Thread images: 8

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.