[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Need a critique and idea help

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 44
Thread images: 13

File: SIDE BY SIDE.png (74KB, 1364x709px) Image search: [Google]
SIDE BY SIDE.png
74KB, 1364x709px
Hey I have been working on a Logo and I'm no graphic designer by anymeans so I'm hoping to get input or a critique. I like the silhouette but I don't know what to do with it from here. Its a TGD all combined together.

The attached picture is the mono black silhouette and a collor gradient one with a shadow.

HELP PLEASE
>>
woops *color
>>
the G isn't really visible, because either you have TgD and no one's looking for lowercase or you have TD with flamboyant serifs.
>>
>>304512
Alright thanks man!
>>
File: Instagram_logo.png (202KB, 5000x1415px) Image search: [Google]
Instagram_logo.png
202KB, 5000x1415px
The letterforms aren't good. Not sure if you freehanded this or if it's bashed together from some prexisting font, but the "brush stroke" shapes are all over the place and not pleasing to look at. They start out thin, then get thick, then get a bit thinner, then get fatter, etc. with no real rhyme or reason. They should flow smoothly, consistently, and logically. Study high quality script logotypes like Instagram's to see how it's supposed to be done, then redraw yours to make it better.

The gradient + drop shadow version looks like Microsoft WordArt garbage. Abandon that approach and try something different.
>>
File: index.jpg (13KB, 203x249px) Image search: [Google]
index.jpg
13KB, 203x249px
I know it's weeb, but the monogram on the hip of image is a professional designer doing something similar with initials CD.
>>
>>304575
The font I used was either lobster two or lobster 1.3 from fontsquirrel. I did the gradient with drop shadow cause i had no idea where to go with it once i had the black out line. But thanks ill deff work on using a new font.
>>
>>304576
That actually looks cool. Thanks ill use it as reff
>>
>>304590
>I did the gradient with drop shadow cause i had no idea where to go with it once i had the black out line.

Gradients and drops have their place... but that place is often in the category of "don't use". If a logo doesn't look great in 1 color, then it's not strong enough yet.
>>
>>304621
Good to know thank you. I really am new to logo design and graphic design.
>>
File: received_10210693781159546.png (143KB, 875x850px) Image search: [Google]
received_10210693781159546.png
143KB, 875x850px
This was what i had as an idea sheet if anything looks better or makes the G stand out more or any input or abandon for a new idea
>>
>>304644
Lobster is a bad font. It's overused as fuck, but not particularly nice to begin with. It's the Comic Sans/Papyrus of the 21st century. Using it for a logo is a terrible idea.
>>
>>304644
They all look equally shitty
>>304576
Is an interesting direction
>>
>>304644
lobster is regarded as a meme font start the fuck over maybe handdo typography if you're desperate
>>
>>304655
>>304650
Shit well i thought lobster would have looked alright but good to know.
>>
File: NEW FONT PRACTICE.png (87KB, 983x788px) Image search: [Google]
NEW FONT PRACTICE.png
87KB, 983x788px
SO i have taken into account the bad font and the invisible G so I tried a few more ideas and new fonts. the final 2 columns were suggested ones.
>>
File: GAME_CONTROULLER_IDEA.png (48KB, 1327x285px) Image search: [Google]
GAME_CONTROULLER_IDEA.png
48KB, 1327x285px
I have also tried a game controller idea.
>>
File: DIFFERENCE TGD.png (22KB, 646x587px) Image search: [Google]
DIFFERENCE TGD.png
22KB, 646x587px
Also how does this look aside from the font?
>>
>>304737
honestly just putting TGD is better then your current letter mashing abominations

less honestly might be more

>>304739
still illegible
>>
>>304744
Alright thanks man.
>>
>>304773
is this a logo for yourself?
>>
>>304776
A blog im trying to start. So yeah me. I have my own logo for my real job. But this is a side project.
>>
>>304777
what's the blog about?
>>
>>304781
Its a blog to critique game design. I take one aspect of the game and look at the design and write about it.
>>
>>304781
http://thegamedesignblog.wixsite.com/tgdb
>>
>>304789
Maybe think more about trends in game-related imagery? I can't think of anything at all recently that's used a 3-letter monogram, you see many more single letters (often circled) or side-by-side 2 letters.

It's also a bit unusual to consider the "The" important, though on the other hand it helps distinguish from other sites with similar titles. Maybe embrace this completely and just brand as TGDB, quartered or in a line?

Or scrap the idea of logotype at all and go for something more symbolic of the idea, like (this is probably bad, already used, or both) a magnifying glass looking at part of a gear.
>>
>>304800
Yeah i find gears are overly used and i dabbled with the magnifying glass in my note book but im a terrible drawer lol. I dont wanna add the B because I plan to delve into more than just blog writing in the future. Like podcasts or videos.

Maybe a magnifying glass on a game case?

Maybe use the T like the center of the game case and a G on the left and D on the right. But i feel it will be miss read as GTD.

Maybe I can use color or cut outs to make the letters more clear?

Im really not a graphic designer so this is a good challenge for me. I guess lol.
>>
>>304801
If I was going to use B it would be because I was completely dropping the full name for being too generic - if your branding is only initials people quickly forget what they originally stood for, see CNN which is happily available over satellite and the web, or TCBY which at one point straight-up changed its purported meaning.

Avoid making color significant, because if this succeeds at some point it's going to need to be a bug on the video.
>>
>>304802
Hmm so i guess a symbol would be best in the end. Should i have the TGD under it with a (B) for blog and later (V) for video and (P) for podcast or would that become confusing. And I googled TGD logo last night and a lot of logos have been made with the same letters. So i guess a good symbol would actually be more memorable.
>>
Holy christ OP

Get
Off
Your
Computer

All this shit you're posting is shit because you're just trying to crunch fonts together. Get a goddamned piece of pen and paper and sketch
>>
>>304841
Yes i know. I did do stuff in a sketch book but im fucking with fonts cause im retarded with iconography. So ima stay on my comp till i see some icons and then go sketch.
>>
>>304861
im not >>304841
but get the fuck off of ur pc

if you rely on fonts to form your image a: thats retarded and b: you're limited by the fonts you have on your machine, which are typically shit

write your blogs name or initials down and then start fucking with them, they dont have to be good, they just have to "be"
>>
>>304871
The fonts I used were frontsquirrel and i have a couple pages in a book with many ideas i just hated most. And I have tried a bunch. Im terrible with picking font so i tried same design with many font hoping one looks good. Im gonna keep trying and some icon with no font.

Ima keep fucking with the initials like you suggest.
>>
>>304872
and then what if your font is suddenly not available or if a license costs 250 dollars? ur whole concept is fucked because you chose this shitty method of trying to ideate halfway through your execution process

honestly you can do what you want but if/when you come back with nothing you're probably just going to be laughed at, sorry.
>>
>>304873
Well i know to look for specific licenses. And Im not good with icons so it was my best bet. Im trying many things atm. So whether i make it back before the thread closes or not Im still gonna work on stuff and hopefully get some kind of idea for a icon.
>>
>>304871
It's kind of a dumb thing to say, especially to a total beginner. If he doesn't rely on existing letterforms it will most definitely be worst.
>>
File: NEW TGD.png (16KB, 267x695px) Image search: [Google]
NEW TGD.png
16KB, 267x695px
I have come up with a new TGD font logo idea.
>>
File: ICON IDEA.png (26KB, 821x730px) Image search: [Google]
ICON IDEA.png
26KB, 821x730px
Also I had a icon style idea with no font
>>
>>304989
>TCD
>>
File: ANYTHINGBETTER.png (52KB, 1361x730px) Image search: [Google]
ANYTHINGBETTER.png
52KB, 1361x730px
>>304991
Well I have these. Is anything look better? I have no idea what to do for an icon that isn't a cliche or overly done!
>>
File: SIMPLE_CUTOUTS.png (31KB, 1268x767px) Image search: [Google]
SIMPLE_CUTOUTS.png
31KB, 1268x767px
>>304991
Or just simple cut outs help?
>>
holy fucking jesus fucking cunt sucker christ OP, chill the fuck out with the font mashing.

Stop trying to use the idea of placing them all together, do another approach obviously it is not working it looks like some child from the late 90s trying to fit into his computer tech class by making shitty 'word art' fucking sketch, not on the computer!
>>
File: rand5.jpg (21KB, 620x400px) Image search: [Google]
rand5.jpg
21KB, 620x400px
>>306360
counterpoint: pic related

(counter-counterpoint: it was one of the shittiest logos he did, if we're being honest.)
>>
File: 1491630012582.jpg (80KB, 784x643px) Image search: [Google]
1491630012582.jpg
80KB, 784x643px
>>306388
counterpoint: illegible, un-ownable, un-descriptive, unbalanced, ungood
Thread posts: 44
Thread images: 13

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.