[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Minimalism has come around and gotten tired and shit yet again.

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 37
Thread images: 5

File: saulbass.jpg (166KB, 1600x2214px) Image search: [Google]
saulbass.jpg
166KB, 1600x2214px
Minimalism has come around and gotten tired and shit yet again. What's the next meme?
>>
>>302218
>What's the next meme?
90s
>>
post internet new aesthetic 90s vaporwave maximalism
>>
>>302245
>>302234
Both of these are already over.
Minimalism is classy enough to last a little longer.
>>
>>302245
Who's Al?
>>
>>302293
Thought the same thing, thought it was Geberal Al for some reason and lol'd
>>
>>302245
this kerning is giving me an aneurysm
>>
>>302304
>this kerning is giving me an aneurysm
You see if gener al can help with that
>>
>>302245
I'm so ready
>>
>>302245
>GEN ER AL INFOR MATION
>AN D PH YSIC AL PRO PERTIES
>>
80's. Neon n'shit.
>>
File: 4L_oX5oy75E.jpg (193KB, 1080x1080px) Image search: [Google]
4L_oX5oy75E.jpg
193KB, 1080x1080px
art deco
>>
File: 4L_wgLaIqPy.jpg (401KB, 1024x683px) Image search: [Google]
4L_wgLaIqPy.jpg
401KB, 1024x683px
>>302630
art nouveau revival when
>>
>>302631
>art nouveau revival when
you missed it by 40 years
>>
Minimalism is never just going to go away. It's at the core of most design philosophy. Reduce and trim until only what is essential remains, function before form, etc.

Other styles may come and go, but minimalism isn't a style, it's a principle.

That said, I don't think we've heard the last gasp of flat design. It will come back for a year and everyone will remeber they're sick of it when ornate and skeumorphic design resurfaces. Then, you'll probably see a resurgence of grunge as an artistic response to the rise of clean and tidy nationalism.
>>
>>302856
bruv function before form is not equal to minimalism. what are you on about you pleb? it is a style. you can have something 'maximalist' which caters to more functions. if anything, sometimes minimalism is form before function.
>>
>>302859
imagine trying to correct someone and being this wrong
>>
>>302859
Don't be this guy, kids. Stay in school, or take it upon yourself to learn about your field.
>>
>>302863
>>302905
samefagging with 'hurr durr u r so stupid' doesn't make you right, knobhead

you gonna say this shit is function before form?

surely the function of a chair is to sit for longer than 20 seconds without being in pain?
>>
>>302915
lol No, dude. I'm the guy you first responded to, and the guy who said to stay in school. But whatever, out of the two people who thought you were retarded I'll be the first to try to honestly set you straight.

Your shitty chair is just that. A shitty chair. Not the be-all end-all of what minimalism entails. If something does not meet its functional needs, it is badly designed. If it meets its functional needs, and all extraneous elements have been subsequently removed because they do not help or possibly even hinder the design meeting those needs, that is minimalism.

Not a chair. Not a logo that's just a single word in Helvetica Bold. A principle. This reply itself could use some application of minimalism, as in I'd be better off just telling you "kys faggot", and the net effect would be the same. That's because you're failing to see the trees for the forest like some hobbyist "designer" who has never studied the most basic philosophy of design, and instead chooses to believe his own confused idea of mininalism as an aesthetic trend rather than an over-arching practice is somehow gospel.
>>
>>303036
ha, fuck. guess i actually have to understand it now. nice one m8. i was actually a bit confused and hoping someone would enlighten me.
>>
>>303036
Really loved this post anon
>>
>>302856
I agree that it will stay as design principle or a necessary step of the creative process, but a strictly minimalist piece doesn't generate enough buzz in today's pajeet default wordpress theme spam days. It's plain and mundane, doesn't catch the eye as it has become the norm. As a finished product it is worthless for advertising.

Personally, I want post material post cyberpunk design whose interface carries over to different platforms, rather than the current let's make a look that is easily displayed on every chinkphone on the surface, something that looks just like the google appstore but with our colors and logos.
>>
>>303036
Form is Function.
>>
>>303449
The "minimalist" movement was not minimalist--simply materialist, utilitarian, and futurist. Through an ego-centric lens, they failed to see quite what it was prior designs had been about, since they rejected the very principles that drove past society, and dismissed outright all traditionalist viewpoints. Failing to believe in the function of old designs, they believed they had something revolutionary by saying form follows function, as though it was something new, meaningful, and true. But the very act of designing something acknowledges that form has an inherent function, beyond the simple function of the abstracted object. In reality, modernism is an austere absolutism, as emphatic as the rococo. It is the newspeak of visual language, convincing you it is restraint, when really it is pure indulgence.
>>
>>303453
Minimalism is humility as parade dress.
>>
Minimalism with minimalistic shading and gradients. Think of the shading as paper printouts floating in three dimensional space.
>>
>>303596
Got some examples? Sounds alright
>>
>>303453
could u link some academic sources that back up your point here?
>>
>>304363
Point? He lost the point when he tried to paint minimalism as both utilitarian and indulgent. What a load of pedantic pseud babble.
>>
>>303449
Strip away function and form is masturbatory waste. That is why form follows function. One must be established prior for the other to have meaning. Wax philosophical about design movements prior to the establishment of the minimalist principle if it helps you get your intellectual rocks off. But holding up some contrived ass-backwards riff on teleology as proof that minimalism is inherently flawed is full-on contrarian autism.
>>
>>304388
yeah its contradictory but i was more interested in minimalism promoting indulgence
>>
>>304484
Minimalism as a purely aesthetic exercise can be indulgent. Broad fields of clear space and restrained, by-the-books typography are really satisfying for the average viewer to take in. But where he and others are wrong is the moment they decide to conflate Minimalism the Aesthetic with Minimalism the Principle. It's no different than bringing up a criticism applicable to only to fried food and saying that the whole idea of applying heat to cook ingredients is subject to the same criticism.
>>
>>304486
do you ever question why the aesthetic of minimalism you just described is appealing?
Why are buildings with clean edges, 2D clean colour-based GUIs and logos/icons, the contrast of black and white in fashion, the Tiny House movement, (Etc.) so satisfying?
>>
>>304492
That's assuming that the appeal of simple aesthetic choices is universal, which it is not. Some people prefer intricate, detail-heavy design and would likely be bored by breathable, simple design. But for those who do find the appeal in the minimal aesthetic, I would guess that the reason is that it instills senses of calm, order, modernity, cleanliness, timelessness, and so on.

Like most things in creative fields, the appeal is totally subjective. You can make reasonably accurate guesses as to which demographics a style might appeal to, (or, conversely, which style might appeal to selected demographics), but (instances of ironic usage aside) you won't find restrained and understated design work on a Blue Collar Comedy Tour VHS box any more than you'd find textures and outlandish typefaces on the package of the next iPhone.
>>
>>304724
this is true. I should've been more specific.

Why is minimalism becoming a more popular trend for the wealthy? The minimalist trend can be seen in minimalist architecture, interior space, and these values are reinforced by white middle class youtuber vloggers promoting the minimalist lifestyle, with lifestyle choices being based on our consumer choices
>>
>>304833
The shift in the audience of the minimal aesthetic from the poor to the wealthy is a pretty recent one. If you look at a longer timeline, opulence and grandeur as the hallmarks of wealth used to be very well reflected in design, and more spartan design was seen as cheap and disposable. I'd say it's been taken to by the wealthy and upper middle class as a result of consumer trends. Brands have, in more recent history, latched onto this idea that high-value commodities can exhibit more intrinsic value if they're surrounded by understated design. Needless ornamentation could be perceived by the discerning consumer as compensatory flair to prop up an otherwise disappointing product. Beyond this kind of reverse-psychology thinking, the most valuable brands are pretty ruthless about searching for ways to more eloquently convey their messaging, and the embrace of the minimal aesthetic might be a reflection of that. Like an application of the minimalist principle to the whole of marketing itself.

I don't want to get too far into minimalism as a lifestyle because I'd like to keep the discussion centered around graphic design, but I think the reasons for that are actually more about saving face. It's easier to say you live a "minimalist life" than it is to say you're poor. I'd find it hard to imagine anyone living at a very comfortable income is going to eschew the comforts afforded to them because they heard a Youtuber extolling the virtues of not owning furniture.
Thread posts: 37
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.