[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

sup /gd/ -- looking for advice on a new machine. ive been designing

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 2

File: mac-mini-2014-gallery2.jpg (44KB, 975x535px) Image search: [Google]
mac-mini-2014-gallery2.jpg
44KB, 975x535px
sup /gd/ -- looking for advice on a new machine. ive been designing from a 2011 mbp with upgraded ram + monitor for a while now and the macbook is crapping out.

anyone have any experience with Mac Mini? im far too cheap for a Mac Pro and already have a good monitor so iMac is redundant. don't want anything to do with the new touchscreen mbps...
>>
get an iMac

sell ur monitor
>>
What are you going to be doing with the Mac?
What software do you intend to use?
>>
>>297127
design..
adobe master suite
blender
unity3d
ableton live
>>
>>297131
>adobe master suite
available for Windows and much more efficient on it
>blender
available for Windows
>unity3d
available for Windows and much more stable on it
>ableton live
Only for Mac but I don't know if that's really enough of a reason to get one
>>
>>297134
>Windows

You can install Windows on a Mac with Boot Camp or a virtual machine.
But unless you want to play Windows only video games, there's no reason to install it.
>>
>>297135
Why would you overpay for an underpowered machine?
If 90% of your tools are going to be cross-platform anyway, why would you want a machine that has a shit GPU, a shit CPU, and a hefty price tag?
>>
>>297136
Because personally i find macOS to be better than Windows, and you've got to pay the price to get it.
Hackintosh is shit, and Linux has no Adobe CC.

I only game on consoles so i don't need Windows at all.
>>
>>297138
your loss m8
Apple computers offer only macOS, which in turn offers —nothing— except ease of use if you've grown into it.

I've been a Mac user all my life too but if you want to do serious 3D work, Unity shit and take full advantage of Adobe CC, just build a Windows PC workstation. Ask /g/ for help, main points being a good CPU and a GPU.

If you still insist on using a Mac, the most cost-efficient is the Mac Mini late 2012 model – now that the 2014 model is out, the prices have dropped on the 2012 model. 2014 can't be upgraded, 2012 can.

tldr get a Mac mini 2012, install an SSD and max out the RAM
>>
>>297138
>personally i find macOS to be better than Windows
In what way?
>>
>>297139
>get a Mac mini 2012

I doubt that the Mac mini 2012 will get the new OS releases for very long, it's a gamble on the amount of time they'll continue to support it.
I wouldn't buy it for that reason, only if you can get it really cheap.

https://www.apple.com/macos/how-to-upgrade/#hardware-requirements

>>297140
Ease of use, design and security.
>>
>>297143
>I doubt that the Mac mini 2012 will get the new OS releases for very long
What makes you think that? It's a generic 64-bit x86 machine with a modern mobo. There is absolutely nothing Apple could do that would obsolete the 2012 Mac Mini but since you doubt it I would like to hear your reasoning for holding such beliefs.
The only thing I would imagine is Apple pulling the ol' 2005 switcheroo and telling all developers to get fucked, Intel going the way of PPC and ARM being the new thing. Super doubtful though because they've invested everything in Intel.
>>
>>297146
Apple is currently developing a new file system, Apple File System (APFS), it's possible they won't support older Macs because of it.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apple_File_System
>>
>>297149
>it's possible they won't support older Macs because of it.
not really
>>
I'm interested in a Mac Mini. I do not like the recent iOS-like tweaks to OSX, however. I'm still running Snow Leopard, the last genuinely stable release. I have plenty of hardware to use with a Mac Mini.

What I'd really be interested in would be Illustrator and Photoshop on Linux.
>>
>>297136
>>297134
I don't get this insistence that everyone should use Windows for everything. Have you ever used CC with an apple trackpad? It's fucking glorious. And FCPX is absolutely unbeatable for video work which doesn't involve motion graphics or heavy grading, it's just so damn intuitive and well-optimised.
>>
>>297125
Agreed

>>297123
Buy it now OP
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B016LGD55I/ref=as_li_tl?ie=UTF8&tag=marketorder-20&camp=1789&creative=9325&linkCode=as2&creativeASIN=B016LGD55I&linkId=6d7e8ab9dff2ba2d0a1f4b2cf01b3f34
>>
>>297134
ableton is on windows.
>>
thx all 4 replies..

i'm probably going to go with the current mac mini 2.8GHz Processor ...

does anyone have any direct experience with processor speeds and heavy use of adobe programs?

i'll admit i'm not too well versed in computers. is a quad core necessarily better than a dual core? will a dual core 2.8ghz be enough?
>>
>>297177
Don't buy a new Mac Mini, that thing hasn't been updated since 2014! Rumors suggest new iMacs this year, designing on that 5k display is beyond amazing...
>>
>>297184
True -- ugh i already have a monitor though.
What's a boy to do..
>>
>>297198
You can always du a dual-monitor setup! Otherwise maybe you can sell your current and buy Dell/LG's 5k monitor?

The LG one looks pretty ugly though: http://www.apple.com/shop/product/HKN62LL/A/lg-ultrafine-5k-display?fnode=8a

The Dell one doesn't look much better, but atleast it's something
>>
>>297177
I'm using a late 2012 quad 2.3GHz Mac mini and it flies using Adobe programs. No problems with the built-in GPU either. Hard to find now, probably have to buy second-hand..

BUT.. like >>297139 says.

You must get a SSD or at least a Fusion drive and max the RAM to 16GB. The hard disk is the bottleneck here.

Photoshop is hardly multi core aware, so it'll be plenty good.

Although shitty Apple haven't updated the damn thing in 2 years (bumboy Cook keeps saying 'great products coming soon' every year since he took over from Jobs)
>>
>>297279
Word -- can you not upgrade to SSD and 16gb on the 2014 2.8Ghz?

is it not even worth it?

I feel more comfortable buying from apple w return policy than buying a machine that might cramp out from craigslist..
>>
>>297296
>can you not upgrade to SSD and 16gb on the 2014 2.8Ghz?
Yes you can on the 2014. But ONLY when you build to order from Apple. This is your best bet over a second hand 2012 model I agree.

Unfortunately they overcharge you for the SSD and RAM, (although it's better than it was before).

The older 2012 can be opened up and upgraded. I put in a Crucial MX SSD and Kingston 'PC' RAM at the time.
>>
>>297382
Also beware that these 2014 models (2 physical cores) are 28-38% slower at multi-core software tasks than the 2012 model (4 physical cores).

So if you use multi-core aware software like HandBrake, it'll be slower.
>>
>>297296
Buy the 2.6GHz model and upgrade that instead.

It's only 10% slower than the 2.8Ghz, but much cheaper.
>>
>>297123
If you can wait a little longer, crApple might release an updated Mini this year. They know the Mac faithful are pissed with the stale shit selection (although this is really Intels' fault for not supporting 5K displays over one cable)

Headless iMac or mid range Trash Can Mac Pro? Don't hold your breath, T Cook has said they have 'amazing products coming'
Thread posts: 28
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.