[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why are logos today becoming more simple? I've only noticed

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 6

File: what.png (190KB, 1024x608px) Image search: [Google]
what.png
190KB, 1024x608px
Why are logos today becoming more simple? I've only noticed this from logos that had definition or gradients, but now have an almost matte display now, as if someone ironed the logo down, such as the Windows logo or the MasterCard logo. Why is this, /gd/?
>>
>>295545
>Why are logos today becoming more simple?
they are not, good logos have always been this simple
>>
>>295545
fashion
>>
>>295545
Good design is when there is nothing left to take away
>>
File: logoworks-bass-ale-logo-640x360.jpg (17KB, 640x360px) Image search: [Google]
logoworks-bass-ale-logo-640x360.jpg
17KB, 640x360px
>>295545
>tfw pic related was made almost 150 years old
http://www.logoworks.com/blog/bass-pale-ale-brand-and-logo/
>>
It's more of a return to the pre-dotcom ways of doing things. The 90s-2000s was a time of rapid computer development, and as tech became more and more advanced we saw a new type of design race.

It mostly started with adding depth and shading, then along came the insane gradients, and finally peaking with fully 3D designed shit (note the old at&t logo from the early 00s). Everything had to be eye catching to stand out in the market, to the point where it was saturated beyond belief.

Finally everyone is getting sick of it and we're seeing a return to the Bass-esqe design philosophy of yesteryear.

To summarize, the tech industry + dotcom boom caused all that, and everyone is finally repairing the damage

-GD student, WWU
>>
>>295556
>tfw pic related was made almost 150 years old
>made almost 150 years old

make a sense of yourself, retard
>>
>>295577
oh what a big deal i posted old instead of ago
why are you mad bro?
>>
File: redesigns.png (744KB, 1300x4800px) Image search: [Google]
redesigns.png
744KB, 1300x4800px
>>
File: redesigns_mock.png (213KB, 1000x2000px) Image search: [Google]
redesigns_mock.png
213KB, 1000x2000px
>>295626
And the logical continuation - where are my millions of dollars?
>>
File: mit_media_lab_2014_logo_detail.png (13KB, 1000x582px) Image search: [Google]
mit_media_lab_2014_logo_detail.png
13KB, 1000x582px
>>295627
Ask Pentagram's hack, Bierut.
>I don't know how to make a logo unless it's all written in small caps Circular typeface.
There. A six figure USD secret. Go use it. Oh wait, you can't because everyone else will actually tell you that it's shit. Unless you're you know who.
>>
>>295635
I meant small letters not small caps. Sorry.
>>
File: 5424f1ba7feb9.png (279KB, 800x600px) Image search: [Google]
5424f1ba7feb9.png
279KB, 800x600px
>>295635
>>295627
logos doesn't really sell that well for making more money you'll have to sell the 'branding' package (website+apps, brand identity+book, business cards, posters, t-shirts, etc)
>>
>>295545
Simple logos with simple shapes (especially SVGs) load a lot easier on slow collections and old phones/PCs. That's Google's reason, at least. Flat styles and minimalism are really in right now overall, though that Spotify color-overlay shit seems to be taking over lately.
>>
>>295627
someone got a years worth of rent for that Sony logo
>>
Modern society is simplifying everthing through modern technology. Smartphones and Tablets for example seem like small, simple (mostly rectangular) screens and you can do everything with it without doing something exhausting.

Many logos we see everyday are IT logos (google, social networks etc) and this companies need all this in their logo - easy, simple, clean, fast and not too complicated. I think that's pretty much it.

This combined with this >>295670 gives us one main reason for this logos: Smartphones and the lifestyle which came along with smartphones.
>>
>>295545
Because simplicity wins, always. There is still loud design out there but it doesn't work with branding/logo design
>>
It's a massive graphic designers conspiracy.
They started this fashion to work less and still get highly paid.
>>
>>295626
lenovo, premier league, facebook, verizon, looked better before imo
>>
Because is easier to remember and understand the brand logo
>>
>>295778
I love Premier League's new logo, just not as the Premier League logo. The old one was perfection for the brand.
>>
>>295545
Because it looks better.
>>
>>295627
>download a font
>type in the brand name
>change color a bit if you feel like working today
>>
>>295627
The Disney one will never happen on account of it being Walt disney's signature.
>>
>>297008
Fuck him, though. He's dead and no child (millenial) today even knows who he is.

But they know who Mickey Mouse is.
>>
>>295626
I like the old mastercard
>>
https://vimeo.com/183689716
>>
Less is more
>>
>>297091
>
>>
>>295626
the fact that there's no distinction between the fonts means that you can't recognize the brand by the lettering alone. League of legends has a distinct font, and so do a lot of companies. No ones willing to admit these designs are just crappy bottom dollar replacements for companies to jump ship on their expensive contracts they were actually benefiting from but don't understand because when the staff change rolls over you have young bloods who have no fucking idea what they're talking about making exec decisions to "save a couple bucks." (Muh nephew could draw it) and then they wind up with something that is just letters, and has no outstanding purpose other than that display the name itself. No actual branding, no unique aesthetic tie in, nothing that makes you think of the actual company. Retard executives that don't understand the logic behind branding need to hang themselves before they take their entire company with them.
Thread posts: 30
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.