[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How and where does one pirate pro fonts? I'm talking OpenType

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 3

File: Didot3.png (80KB, 944x1126px) Image search: [Google]
Didot3.png
80KB, 944x1126px
How and where does one pirate pro fonts?

I'm talking OpenType files with full features like what you'd get if you bought one for $600. Inb4 it hurts the artist. Claude Garamond's been dead for 456 years.
>>
If I use a pirated font for a website, is there any way to check for its license?
>>
>>294049
you can get pwned for doing this
(also quit telling my browser how to render text you shit)
>>
>>294051
>also quit telling my browser how to render text you shit
ELI5 please.
>>
File: 1482729239935.jpg (725B, 250x187px) Image search: [Google]
1482729239935.jpg
725B, 250x187px
>>294052
When you make a website, you write down what it should look like: the text and images it should have, and how these should look. The more you write, the longer it takes users' browsers to read when they come and get it.

The stuff you write down to make a website comes in two kinds: SIGNAL and NOISE. SIGNAL is the information the user wants to see. On a blog, for example, the SIGNAL is the text of each blog post. NOISE is everything else.

Current design trends demand more NOISE than SIGNAL. Custom fonts are one such trend. They add more NOISE for my browser to waste time reading.
>>
Even 'reputable' private trackers are shit at this. I literally download a bunch of versions and then if I don't find a good copy amongst them I'll just edit / merge them with FontForge.
>>
>>294065
Ah, I see now. I'm just starting out in this highly competitive industry, so I'm missing out on the lingo. But all these websites you're talking about that make heavy use of multiple customized fonts and other noise effects are the ones getting all the accolades. Some of them are even lagging during the transition animations. So why are they championed and praised by Awwwards, FWA and other catalogs? It seems that many more websites are adhering to this process, probably because of Moore's Law?
>>
>>294065
you're talking out of your arse. if you think the 'signal' is just the text of each blog post and 'noise' is everything else, you don't understand graphic design.
>>
>>294067
anyone who pays someone else to design a website (ie the industry) doesn't know jack shit about design (otherwise they'd do it themselves)

of course, if you need their money, do whatever will make them give you it
>>
>>294069
>1.1.1 Typography exists to honor content.
>Like oratory, music, dance, calligraphy – like anything that lends its grace to language – typography is an art that can be deliberately misused. It is a craft by which the meanings of a text (or its absence of meaning) can be clarified, honored and shared, or knowingly disguised.

Bringhurst, Robert. The Elements of Typographic Style, 17. 3rd ed. Vancouver: Hartley & Marks, 2004.
>>
>>294071
well-fucking-done you pseudointellectual, you know how to cite. for some reason you've cited somebody's opinion—which doesn't prove your own point or disprove mine.

the text of a post is not all the 'signal', and graphic design's primary focus is not to reduce 'noise'. quit trying to poison the minds of newcomers with your stupid made-up rules and pretentious lingo
>>
File: image.png (16KB, 434x166px) Image search: [Google]
image.png
16KB, 434x166px
>>294076
pic related: signal vs. noise in prose

Using alternative terms for explanation is standard ELI5 practice. Signal and noise are versatile terms and serve in a decent design guideline: minimize noise, make signal accessible.

Bringhurst's guideline (the first he put in the book) is similar but worded differently. He says "content" instead of "signal," and "honor" instead of "make accessible."

Over-designed websites are similar to what he calls misuse; that's why I included the paragraph and not just the guideline.
>>
ITT: find the redditor
>>
>>294051
>>294065
>>294071
>>294086
>muh wasted time
>muh productivity
>muh content
lmao, get a load of this guy. imagine having a worldview this simplistic and dull. 2/10 I'm barely even mad.

look, I get what you're saying. so much of the web is overwrought with shitty ugly broken JavaScript and contrived floating menu bars and trendy pointless pull quotes and all kinds of needless design fluff that pisses me off. But the advent of embedding real typography is one of the best things that has happened to the web. I'm willing to wait a couple of extra seconds for a few 70kb font files to download if it's going to make for a beautiful experience. If you're such a neckbeard power user that you can't endure tiny little delay for the benefit of not seeing the world in fucking Times New Roman and Arial then I don't know what to tell you
>>
any gd fags got a link to bell pro complete family?
>>
>>294071
>>294065
Never expected to hear some shit like this from /gd/. Beautiful font is not a noise, it helps send the message and sets the mood of the website. Text is practically the most present element in blogs and news sites so it is actually VERY important to get it right. Also, using 1-2 google fonts doesn't slow down your site by much.

And well done with that quote, I've read that book too. Just shows you have no idea what you are talking about and confirms what I just said. Yes, don't fucking make text 15ems big with a flashy orange color and shitty fashion font for paragraphs - because then it focuses attention to itself rather than on information. THAT's what the author meant.
Thread posts: 16
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.