[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Guys, why do I suck?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 1

File: foxlogo.png (8KB, 800x600px) Image search: [Google]
foxlogo.png
8KB, 800x600px
Hey everyone! I'm a web designer, and I suck at it. I mean I've been been practicing it for long time, watching videos on subhect and stuff, I know the rules of web design, I know Photoshop as well, but when I get a project and finish it - it turns out to be ugly. Guys, what should I do? I mean how did you guys become web designers?
>>
>i know the rules of web design
from that logo I can already see that you don't understand balance
>>
The logo looks more like a weird cat than a fox. Proportions are wrong.

The text is too squished and looks atrocious. Thicken it a bit. Either way the U not being cut off completely at the end of the tail and having that spike looks bad. End it

Don't make logos in Photoshop, it isn't made for that and your logo has bad aliasing already. Give the fox more definition in its features.
>>
>>293279
at least you recognize you suck. some people never get past that point.

learn color theory and observe details in all kinds of design, not just the flat, minimal shit on the internet.

design has a purpose. it is meant to convey something. What is the purpose of any design?

also, don't stress your tools. part of design is working with what you have and what you know. great things have been made with very minimal tools. where there is limitations, there is creativity
>>
you can't learn design from youtube videos
look at many, many designs and try to spot trends and features that you like the most
then experiment and post here
>>
>>293279
I personally think it's a pretty cool logo but I guess my advice would be stick with it practice make perfect
>>
apply elements and principle of designs to your layouts. plan your layouts. dont figure stuff out as your coding. make mock ups of what you want your website to look like and if you want interactivity and movement within your pages, make storyboards for yourself. dont just imagine what you want it to look like then try and code it.
>>
>>293279
I learned through tackling things like http://briefbox.me briefs and building random sites. I went through http://hackdesign.org and countless youtube videos from TheFutur, Mackenzie Child, DevTips, and Swerve. It takes deliberate practice and asking for critiques. Honestly, 4chan is good for reiterating that you suck, but there are other places to get critiques too. just have to find them.
Also, read stuff from blog.invisionapp.com
>>
Some good advice in this thread.

Beautiful design depends on all sorts of subtle little things that are hard to pin down and impossible to teach. Spending tons of time observing and analyzing good design from other people is the only way to refine your own taste and git gud.

Don't be afraid to live in your own brain and contemplate why one thing looks good to you while another doesn't, because at the end of the day your opinions and impulses and emotions are steering the ship and you need to train them to help you make the right decisions in your designs.

Watching tutorial videos will help you learn how to use tools, and that's an important step in the process, but they won't teach you how to have good taste. You can understand the mechanics of color theory and still make a palette that looks like shit. You can understand how to adjust kerning and still pick the wrong typeface for the job.

Sorry if that's a lot of vague handwaving, but that's the nature of the beast. For every bit of objective truth you find in design, there are equal parts that rely on feel and just having "a good eye."

Your logo is better than half the bullshit people proudly showoff around here. Keep working at it.
Thread posts: 9
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.