[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why do people make fun of UpWork's freelancers but ignore

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 1

Why do people make fun of UpWork's freelancers but ignore the clients altogether? They are equally bad. For instance, a client wants me to make some promotional materials for her and sends me some things to be included in them, but not the fucking logo. So now I have to either wait for ~10h because of different time zones, ask her to send me the logo, risk getting a low resolution JPG on a white background, or I just go on their website, screen-shoot their logo, reverse font search, pirate the font, use it like this (it's not even kerned, but whatever). When it's feedback time, I get asked to make some stupid changes, I explain why that would be a dumb idea but after all that, I still have to obey because "I'm paying so I'm taking the shots here." Now I can't even include this in my portfolio because it's a laughable project, I received no rating, despite the fact that the client got it on time and on their terms. I had better expectations for a US client.

tl;dr: where can I get quality clients?
>>
Locally.

Hope you live somewhere where design is valued!

>t. local sports team wanted me to make a logo for them but didn't want to pool even $15 to pay for it
>>
>>293059
>where can I get quality clients?
that's a bad way to think about it and you should take some responsability since those things should be the first ones discussed with the client.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pRtK_91a84w
>>
People severely underappreciate a logo and more specifically, the person making it.

I'd never even consider making a logo for under 250 euros, even when just starting out. And even I feel like that's on the low side.

A make up artist approached me for a logo some time ago and she wanted to pay me 50 euros. I told her I wouldn't do it for such a low amount. and gave her my price. She was taken aback instantly.

I asked her how much she charged her clients for over average and she told me her prices and I then asked her how long these things took.

If you are asking for 75 euros for lashes, which at the max take about 45 minutes, and fail to realize why I won't work for 50 euros you are beyond hope
>>
>>293059
I give them 0 free revisions. I'm not here to draw for them because they can't. They pay me to design something and I do. If they don't like it they can fuck off and lose their deposit.
>>
>>293059
you need to let go of any creative attachment to commercial stuff trust me.
just because you are doing client work doesnt mean you are entitled to get a 'portfolio quality' piece at the end.

90% of the jobs Ive done through upwork (havnt used it since it stopped being Elance) were shit-tier not worthy of the light of day.
just because someone needs graphic/art work doing doesnt nececerally mean they have ANY taste or even the slightest clue what makes good work.
its a job, just do it
>>
>where do I get quality clients

people you already know, people work with people its all about making personal connections, what hobbies and interests do you have that could bring your own personal voice to what you do? what sets you apart?
think about these things to get a clearer idea of who will value your service & ideas the most, they will be your quality clients
>>
>>293059
My favorite is:
> Can you make that that logo like those guys on fiver!

>Client hinting he doesn't want to pay $100 but rather pay 5 dollars.

Nigga! go hire those idiots on fiver, it's not gonna be a good logo.
>>
I am no longer even polite to these assholes

Go and spend a fiver for some pitiful currycel to produce a useless design for you.

Fuck you, pay me, or get lost
>>
as you go up the "ladder" (as much as that possible in freelancing) you will meet more professional people who will want to hire you because of your work, not because your computer drawing skills, than you will have less stress and more freedom (from time-to-time).

but more importantly you will learn to check for red flags, communicate properly with the clients and go around the potential problems with a proper contract before they occur. either that or if you have to luxury to refuse a job, you will be able to say no to gigs that look like a shitstorm from the beginning. By the way, that's the biggest problem with freelancing and crowdsourcing sites. No professional work can be done without proper communication, contract, working environment (like proper file sharing, etc)... and not only they do not provide that, most of the time they forbid it.

so no real shortcut, just grind till you are there. I got to the point after 4 years that now I can say, thank fuck I don't have to work for any dumb fuck for five dollar on a shitty crowdsource site ever again. get off those as soon as you have a decent portfolio.
>>
>>293059
>I had better expectations for a US client.
AHAHAHAHAHA

http://shadandjulia.com/never-use-upwork-ever/
>>
>>295145
>>294153
They're not gonna get a logo "produced" on Fiver. They're gonna get a pirated logo.
>>
>>293064
Watch Mike Monteiro's "Fuck You Pay Me" and save yourself half an hour.
>>
>>295331
>Mike Monteiro's "Fuck You Pay Me"
Forgot the link
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6h3RJhoqgK8
Thread posts: 14
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.