[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is there an ideal way of making subtitles? Is there a certain

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 3

File: 3932_315subtitles.jpg (82KB, 800x450px) Image search: [Google]
3932_315subtitles.jpg
82KB, 800x450px
Is there an ideal way of making subtitles? Is there a certain font, color, and size I should use? Where exactly on the image should they go?
>>
Sans serif, bottom of page, white text with black outline. It's the industry standard for a reason. Don't make em too big thouhh
>>
Yellow with a dark outline
>>
File: screenshot_5.jpg (27KB, 499x284px) Image search: [Google]
screenshot_5.jpg
27KB, 499x284px
< like that
>>
>>292185
that's not a subtitle senpai but it is great graphic design.

>>292123
this
>>
Here you go OP. Extensive guide on subtitling by BBC. It includes format specific formatting, so you can overlook that if you're working with another format.
http://bbc.github.io/subtitle-guidelines/

Best free software to subtitle with currently is Aegisub.
http://www.aegisub.org/
>>
>>292190
Thanks anon.
>>
>>292186
what about that is great? just font placement in a negative space. Not flaming just curious
>>
>>292361
well a few reasons
1. the typeface choice is literally perfect. nokia font (so we all recognize it since we all had nokias), humanist so very readable, great stroke contrast, not trying to seem too 'electronic', etc.
2. the size is perfect. again great readability, doesn't impose itself on the rest of the image
3. the placement. great balance with the rest of the image, awesome use of the foreground shoulder
4. line breaks and alignment means you understand it's a text message straight away

very subtle but obviously intentional design considerations
>>
>>292365

didnt even notice it was a text, but now that you pointed all that out it makes perfect sense. Didnt read that far into it, thanks anon
>>
>>292121
Thought you might be interested in what I just learned from a relative on Thanksgiving who is a professional in this area.

Apparently Subtitles refer to the translation from one language to another, as the text on the screen. Captions, however, refer to the same language which is being used in the video, but is also displayed on the screen. I did look into it a little for myself, without much interest though as I do not have any association with this area of media in my current job. If I am mistaken in this description, please excuse, but if nothing else it can give you something to look into for yourself for your own purposes.
Thread posts: 11
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.