[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Couldn't find a general critique thread in the catalog.

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 275
Thread images: 120

File: L1_red.png (1B, 486x500px)
L1_red.png
1B, 486x500px
Couldn't find a general critique thread in the catalog. Lots of people asking for their personal work, though.

General critique thread.

I haven't done any /gd/ professionally, but I'm applying to a job that only requires a grasp of the basics. Thoughts?
>>
>>289670
>>
>>291929

I like the letters, not a fan of the background texture thingy.

Here are two new ones.
>>
>>292118
>>
>>292118
>>292119
Your style is trendy. I think the strokes are kinda heavy.
>>
>>292124
I messed with lighter stroke weights, I couldn't make it work.
>>
>>292128
fnl.fnl.final.lastrev.fin.fnl.png
>>
File: Untitled-1.png (1B, 486x500px)
Untitled-1.png
1B, 486x500px
>>292124
I don't have a style, I'm a vapid whore.
>>
>>292148
The eye wants to vary the heavy strokes, but if you're saying it doesn't work, that's pretty good.

>>292150
See, here you did it and it works to your advantage.
>>
>>292175
Yeah you are on to something, good call. Unfortunately I got booted from that competition.

And I'm probably going to be rejected from this one too.
>>
File: Barista Life 2.png (1B, 486x500px)
Barista Life 2.png
1B, 486x500px
>>292195

And another I pitched tonight.
>>
This one is axed now too, huzzah.

So I've put over 40 hours in to this spec work thing and haven't even made it past the first round in any competition, I want to die.
>>
>>292214
>292214
stop polishing a turd lol

why curved text lockup
are those "options" you showed them?

bc they all so similar lol explore other options
>>
>>292214
>spec work
noooooooooooooooooooooo

there is demand for your style. put examples up on a website and get a job / start freelancing
>>
>>292230

They responded well to the initiation curved composition so I carried it over.
I put up the gradient version - I know it's pretty confusing but there's two styles in the image, gradient and flat, and there's a mirrored version of each so the truck always faces forwards.

>>292232
Shit man, I'm at my wits end, I've got a web page, an active IG account, my truck has advertising graphics on it, nobody cares lol.
>>
>>292255
Bottom left is the best.
Use the strap line " More than just a Job."
No need to add life at the end if its in the title.
>>
>>292273
This is why I like posting here - I see top right as the answer.

It's not my slogan
>>
>>292282
Bottom left has an enormous gap between the two words, so that doesn't work that well. Same with bottom right, I'd say. I don't feel top left at all.

Top right seems more well rounded, even if the slogan is a mouthful.
>>
>>291929
How did you do that noise kinda thingy over the background?
>>
File: ESTD Elk.png (1B, 486x500px)
ESTD Elk.png
1B, 486x500px
>>292292
The client agreed with both you and I and was keen on the top right.

I'm so fucking bored with existing.
>>
>>292369
The colour choices are interesting, but uncomfortable. I'd think about it some more. Seems more of an artsy project or a portfolio piece than something people would use for a company. I like the fading stars.

The monochrome one seems better at this stage, but it doesn't read that well on the preview. Maybe as a badge, full sized?
>>
File: ESTD Deer.png (1B, 486x500px)
ESTD Deer.png
1B, 486x500px
>>292373

appreciate the crit, you are right I haven't really landed the colors. I have a fuck ton of experiments, pic related is just two of many, I don't know, it's a hard one to dial in.

Your intuition was also correct in that this is not a professional piece.
>>
>>292379
You are still pretty great. Don't give up on landing a client with this overall quality of work.

To be honest, the deer is kind of fat on the previews. That's the most glaring issue here.

I love what's going on on the right side; it's a safe colour combination, but it works. I think that's the correct direction to go, good, solid next step from the monochrome one.

The left side is hurting my brain. Is that meant to be Christmas-like? The brick-like red colour is just not the right tint for the glaring neon of the grayish-green. The text is meant to connect with the top stars and the moon, right? It doesn't quite work this way. Maybe think on this further.

I hope you don't mind me critiquing your every piece here, man.
>>
>>291929
Growning community likely to critique your work.
https://discord.gg/DmRc5as
>>
>>292343
Easiest way with Photoshop is to put some filter->noise->add noise->monochrome with 1-2% if on top the layer and a bit more if you are going to blend this shit. Also depends on the size of the image.
>>
>>292214
i do really like the illustrations - strokes are good - just stop being obsessive - 40H is a lot, >>292119
i actually think the first is bettwr as it looks like the sun in the sky rather than burning a pine tree. >>292148 usually the first bits are always best - more inline with your own creative ideas and less about petty refinements, by all mean rework something differently but keep the design intent paramount.
>>
>>292214
For this I'd drop the curve, keep the text straight and make the truck look more basic in shape as opposed to a piece of Clip Art from Word.
>>292118
Something more like for the truck would look nicer.
Nice style overall though, just needs some more varied experimentation which admittedly can be a bit hard at times.
>>
>>292402
No please feel free to critique away - I always appreciate insight. Yeah I don't know why but I had a hard on for red on black with that one, it fucked with my eyes too.

>>292428
Yeah I agree - my first run at it usually is the most appealing to me, then the client gets involved and everything goes down hill. 40hours total, not on that project, I probably have 3 hours in to the truck one.
>>292429
appreciate it mang.

Here's another.
>>
File: Barista Life 5.png (1B, 486x500px)
Barista Life 5.png
1B, 486x500px
>>292444
>>292255
My final submission.
>>
>>292444
>>
thinking of changing my major at usc from psych to graphic design. thoughts?
>>
>>292507
very good idea. Not necessarily because of what you posted, but because

a) you're considering it (so you prefer GD as a career path)
b) Psych's career paths are pretty rough unless you follow it up with a Masters / PhD / etc.

source: I did Psych as a degree and regret not picking gd.
>>
File: EDGE-CASE.png (1B, 486x500px)
EDGE-CASE.png
1B, 486x500px
>>292507

psych and gd seem pretty different avenues, I can't suggest much.

If I could o it all over again I would go in for computer science, physics or some other STEM.
>>
>>292510
Side note - so the client spec the following colors:
>Include Red: c44141ff and Silver: acacacff but not limited to these.

google gives no results, wtf are these values.
>>
File: EDGE-CASE 2.png (1B, 486x500px)
EDGE-CASE 2.png
1B, 486x500px
>>292510
>>
File: P1070152.jpg (1B, 486x500px)
P1070152.jpg
1B, 486x500px
is it readable?
>>
>>292554
>escles
don't mix the logo with the type and make a minimalistic shark scale illustration on top also pick a good typeface.
>>
>>292554
Dude this is the same thing you posted like a month ago!

Another one, this guy wanted vintage, mature, sophisticated and luxurious for his chicken wing business - don't fucking ask me why.
>>
>>292589
Hey dude, i feel like that typography does not fit the "mature, luxurious" scheme, i think probably a more thin and basic one could get the job done, and the right design looks cleaner.
But then again, i'm just a gd student so don't mind me if i'm not correct about what i just said.
>>
>>292589
>Dude this is the same thing you posted like a month ago!
I tought people would have forgotten kek
i have 6 months to do a logo, so I'm taking my time
i refined it quite a bit tho
>>
>>292614

Very good points! Dunno it's submitted so I probably won't revisit it at the moment, but thanks for bringing that up.

>>292627
This place is like the vast emptiness between galaxies, there is so little content and it's inhabitants are so cold that time and light slow down.
>>
Hey I've never posted on this board before but is it possible to get critiqued/advised on a cover page im creating for a report?
>>
>>292639
post it
>>
>>292640
ill probably get laughed at but yeah. So far, I;m trying to make a minimal but creative cover. I haven't done any graphical stuff in years so all my graphic work files are pretty much alien to me.

Im unsure whether to add vector shapes, renders, background images or whatever. Maybe you guys will think this is dumb but anyone happy to suggest something that'd make it nice i'd appreciate alot.

Also the font isn't centered for now since i had to change up stuff for anonymity.
>>
>>292642

Best advice I can give is to pick a theme, a thesis a visual foundation and then start building.
>>
>>292646
I''l try this, thanks man. I've been overthinking it too much.
>>
>>292642
Maybe it's the same for you, but whenever I get that feeling of 'not knowing what to add' it's usually because I got on the computer too quickly and tried to merge the design process with the execution.

Take time to visualise things in your head, then sketch some rough thumbnails. You'll have much 'fuller' ideas.
>>
>>292648
Yeah it's probably that. I feel I get over creating and try to do it more from an improvisation POV than planning and setting the foundation. thanks, I'll take this to mind.
>>
File: Untitled-1.jpg (1B, 486x500px)
Untitled-1.jpg
1B, 486x500px
>>292646
>>292648
So far, using a theme I found simple and nice, I tried to make my own. I added a royalty free image in the background, though I dont know if it fits the theme.

This is what I have now, haven't a clue how to make the rest of the term development show over the birds wing either.
>>
>>292651
Good to see you getting your sea legs.
Couple of things - don't use %100 black for shit backlit RGB displayed, use something in RBG/HEX that is akin to process black.

Personally I despise photos unless used extremely tastefully or out of necessity.
>>
>>292656
>Couple of things - don't use %100 black for shit backlit RGB displayed, use something in RBG/HEX that is akin to process black.

I didn't understand this, sorry.

Also the photo, I don't like it either. I thought it looked nic at first but i doesn't look nice at all now. I wanna probably do something minimalist(not sure if this is a hated term here) like color blocks.

Thing is, I don't have to make it anything special but I cant even start without having something i like
>>
>>292651
Nice! Way better already.
The weights of your type now gives better visual hierarchy.
It is overall slightly left-heavy with that bold text and picture but it's not too unbalanced; I like it.
I like the picture. Bird > Flying > Development. It's good; maybe even better if it was an eagle or some shit.

Don't disturb the title with the picture though. We all know it says development but it is annoying. Move things around or change the colours so it's clearer.
>>
>>292661
Thanks man I appreciate it. I do see how left havy it is, though Im not sure as to how I can add more to the right side. That was the only decent royalty free image i found that was minimal. I'll try have a mess around with the colours to see what i can change.
>>
>>292448
could u add 3 lines for an E on bothe Trd and mrk
>>
File: D R I V E.png (1B, 486x500px)
D R I V E.png
1B, 486x500px
Made this for fun a while back, still love it to this day, small mistakes, but overall i think its good, small critique would be appreciated! (made this earlier this year, have since improved in photoshop)
>>
>>292589

Another quick one.
>>
>>292704

Really fucking sucks, I have all these concepts I can't post because they are in NDAs, instead you guys get the quick trash.
>>
>>292714
>>
File: IMG_0268.jpg (1B, 486x500px)
IMG_0268.jpg
1B, 486x500px
logo design for a graphics company I made for a project in class and I just want some criticism
>>
File: IMG_0318.png (1B, 486x500px)
IMG_0318.png
1B, 486x500px
>>292734
This is a better picture of what the logos looks like
>>
>>292735
I want to say a lot - but it will all come out as mean. A good rule of thumb is to leave negative space proportional to at least .75 of the design around it.

The way you have it composed right now makes it painful to view.

From the thumbnail I like the aesthetics of the mark, but it's also not very recognizable (a cat of some kind? looks almost sci-fi) and does not convey any intent.
>>
>>292738
Yea I had trouble with making the logo fit with the type of company so I just made the a logo and just kinda threw the type of company on it. But please go all out I want to be good at graphics.
>>
>>292738
My original intent was a tiger but when I asked people they said it was a fox and I didn't really know how to make it stand out more
>>
>>292741
>>292742

So graphic design is visual communication, so when you decide to "practice" the skill. you have to set up an imaginary adversary.

So the thing to beat was a graphic design intended logo with a tiger theme.

Well, you didn't win, not yet.

Gotta make it look like a tiger bro, other than that you're on the right track with your line work.

But seriously, leave a nice healthy fat border of negative space, you are undermining yourself.
>>
>>292745
Alright man preciate it
>>
File: mob.png (1B, 486x500px)
mob.png
1B, 486x500px
Emblem redesign I did for an airsoft team.
>>
>>292764
noice
>>
>>292764
>1984 when?
>>
>>292820
What?
>>
>>292118
Try this anon.
>>
File: SMB Machinery 2.png (1B, 486x500px)
SMB Machinery 2.png
1B, 486x500px
>>293010

I like it dude, brief wanted a 1:1 aspect ratio or close to, hence the circles.

I think this will be my last post in this vein - not sure if this is being received well and don't want to outstay my welcome.

This one is pretty straightforward.
>>
File: IMG_7735.jpg (1B, 486x500px)
IMG_7735.jpg
1B, 486x500px
>>293010
This anon just took a shit on all of you no skills having fucks
>>
File: bly3.png (1B, 486x500px)
bly3.png
1B, 486x500px
Trying to make a simple mark for welding.
>>
My steam avatar I made from Photoshop.
>>
>>292698
The perspective is really messed up. The way the first yellow line ends smaller than the next and how at the end they take up most of the road really bothers me. Also I just don't like the colors together but that's an opinion.
>>
>>293250
Not very obvious that it's a torch and sparks. Wouldn't have realized that's what they were if you hadn't mentioned welding. It might be too simple at the moment.

Try to add more detail or maybe try a different route. The masks/helmets might be an iconic element to explore.
>>
File: freemybrorafi.jpg (1B, 486x500px)
freemybrorafi.jpg
1B, 486x500px
This is a movie poster mockup I made of a short film me and my friends made. Thoughts on this?
>>
how about this indie game title screen?
>>
>>293819
bump
>>
>>293964
5/10 too amateurish try to copy blizzard's ones
http://mentalunlockdown.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/10/hearthstone-1.jpg
>>
>>293969
but what is wrong with it?

is this better?
>>
>>294006

I don't know, I think the guy who crit' you missed that it's an indie game, as long as your art direction jives with the game's I don't see any problems, well done.
>>
>>294006

Honestly not too experienced, but I like this one better than the original. And if you do some research on the game I believe you can make a better fit for what you want to create.
>>
>>293262

Jesus Christ.
>>
>>292511
Drop the trailing ff. They're hex values
>>
>>294106
>>294107
thanks. and it's a classic JRPG-styled game.
>>
File: rfbw01.png (1B, 486x500px)
rfbw01.png
1B, 486x500px
Amateur stuff for personal project. Which one and why? Any ideas on typeface?
>>
>>294151
Top is the only one that's got any hope. For a font I'd stick to something angular like your mark .
>>
File: lev.png (1B, 486x500px)
lev.png
1B, 486x500px
So I've been assigned to create a logo type for my friend's company. They're working with energy savings and I need some opinions/ help.

This is what I got so far, thanks!
>>
>>294168
not too bad maybe make some sketches (paper or software) with variations adding the text in different positions and different sizes.
pic is a quick sketch based on your idea i think it could look better incline as leaves are usually portrayed, without the cable and with the same stroke size on the leaf and also maybe a small lines shadows/details at the conector base.
>>
File: 21222.png (1B, 486x500px)
21222.png
1B, 486x500px
>>294170
What about this?
>>
>>294181
Don't mind this one, it was ass!
>>
>>294181
looks weird with the random circle the good thing about the first was the conection base
>>
File: asdasdasd.png (1B, 486x500px)
asdasdasd.png
1B, 486x500px
>>294170
What do you think about this one?
Does the dot ruin it; maybe without it though?
I've tested filling that area with the same color put it looked messy.

Thanks for the help!
>>
>>294187
Oh I already removed the dot, but image a dot in the middle of the connector.
>>
>>294187
i liked it but maybe make the lines a little bit thicker and adjust the connector position it looks a little bit awkward
>>
>>294187

Not really visually pleasing, I mean it's fine for a quick amateur project.
>>
File: rfbw02.png (1B, 486x500px)
rfbw02.png
1B, 486x500px
Ok, how about that? I kind of like 4 and 8
>>
>>294267
>>294155
me again

4, 4 is the answer.
>>
File: dachs2.jpg (1B, 486x500px)
dachs2.jpg
1B, 486x500px
I am just beginning to introduce myself to illustrator and am struggling with what to actually translate over, from my sketches to the screen.

Something about this Dachshunds face is off but I don't know what to do, I don't want lines all over it's face as I'm going for something quite clean, but I feel like it's lacking as it is.

Any thoughts appreciated
>>
>>294369
You need more black area, IE shadowing.
>>
File: dawgs.jpg (1B, 486x500px)
dawgs.jpg
1B, 486x500px
>>294371
I get what you mean, but the issue is that brown dachshunds have very little detailing to allow for more black areas. I'd also like to keep it very flat/noshadows and just lines.
>>
File: HF_SHIRT_V2.jpg (1B, 486x500px)
HF_SHIRT_V2.jpg
1B, 486x500px
T-shirt design for a local pizza place
>>
>>294381
Would wear/10. Seriously cool
>>
>>294381
me likey
>>
So I wanted to ask which variation you guys think is better, but also I guess I should know whether it's just total garbage or not...
>>
>>294405
the first is better it's not garbage but not really that memorable either it's just a little too generic
>>
>>294381
>>294396
>>294398

Stop same fagging this is terrible. Composition and concept are garbage and execution is worse.
>>
>>294396
>>294398

Thanks guys

>>294413

Care to elaborate?
>>
Is Swiss dead?

bottom is how i have each intro page currently in my portfolio.

top is something new i tried.
top version is wider than the bottom version, its not a zoom issue.
>>
>>294436
bad combination of typefaces for the bottom.

top (all in DIN?) looks great, but why is the title all lower case and the body copy all sentence-case?
>>
>>294440
yeah the top is DIN. I think i'll give my portfolio an overhaul.

didnt even realize I was doing sentence case in the body. seems like it would be hard to read if it was all lowercase though. should I swap the titles and body formatting?
>>
>>294442
Nah. Sentence-case and Lower-case can't work together. Some contrast but not enough, visually very awkward.

You formatted the bottom one beautifully—Title in upper-case, Subtitle and Body in sentence-case. Reads well, good contrast, gives off a polished appearance, and makes sense hierarchically.
>>
File: thisorthan2.jpg (1B, 486x500px)
thisorthan2.jpg
1B, 486x500px
>>294443
I reworked the intro page so now its 18 bold title, 12 regular sub, 11 italic sub2, and 10 regular body
>>
>>294447
I really like it—but then I was the one who suggested it. How do you feel about it? Do you prefer it now to before?
>>
File: coverpage.jpg (1B, 486x500px)
coverpage.jpg
1B, 486x500px
>>294450
I've been using Swiss on this portfolio since 2014. I started using DIN on my presentation sheets in school for the past few months and I liked it, so I wanted to try it with my portfolio. Looks ok to me, but again, I have been staring at these pages constantly the past few days.

I struggle now for a bold cover page. Again this has been the same cover since 2014. It needs something else but I dont know what.
>>
>>294436

Swiss Condensed Bold is the best font ever for OSHA and safety signs.
>>
>>294381

lol, they thought it was too "on brand" and it would not sell because of this, ie: I just redesigned their employee shirts

W T F
>>
>>294775
That is a fucking golden gem of criticism my friend. Such astute awareness of commerciality in design. Shows that you are not connecting enough with the minds of your demographic (people buying the t-shirts).

Take that criticism very seriously.
>>
>>294775

It looks a lot worse now. That weird bottom pepperoni even looks like a strange nipple.
>>
>>294812

You're telling me; but they like it, so
>>
File: init.jpg (1B, 486x500px)
init.jpg
1B, 486x500px
I know. I'm a /gd/ noob. Got interested from my brother (design grad).

I'm a comp. sci. + English major at university. My initials are HL. Would love any comments or ideas for an aspiring software engineer + creative/technical writer.
>>
File: 009.jpg (1B, 486x500px)
009.jpg
1B, 486x500px
Hey,

I hope this is the right thread, since I'm just a guest on this board and am just looking for help on a (trivial?) matter here.

Question:
Why is the right GIF in pic related only 7.9 MB in size, while my GIF (left side) with the same dimensions, colors, FPS and number of frames is 25.6 MB?

If necessary, I can post a link to the GIF on the left, but both pics really are just normal images with a few filters slapped onto them.
This is a link to the steam profile of the guy who made the pic on the right: http://steamcommunity.com/id/Svenjorn

He manages to keep file size under 10MB, whichi is necessary for steam. How does he do it?

Would appreciate some help or pointers on where to take my question, if this is the wrong thread.

Thanks in advance!
>>
Hey,

I hope this is the right thread, since I'm just a guest on this board and am just looking for help on a (trivial?) matter here.

Question:
Why is the right GIF in pic related only 7.9 MB in size, while my GIF (left side) with the same dimensions, colors, FPS and number of frames is 25.6 MB?

If necessary, I can post a link to the GIF on the left, but both pics really are just normal images with a few filters slapped onto them.
This is a link to the steam profile of the guy who made the pic on the right: http://steamcommunity.com/id/Svenjorn

He manages to keep file size under 10MB, whichi is necessary for steam. How does he do it?

Would appreciate some help or pointers on where to take my question, if this is the wrong thread.

Thanks in advance!
>>
File: DymEe.gif (1B, 486x500px)
DymEe.gif
1B, 486x500px
>>294846
>>294845

Oh god, I'm sorry.
>>
>>294847
on photoshop there's an option for setting the desired output filr size, here's a tutorial i was watching a couple days ago (skip till the end)
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=oGR1iKyZG1g

not sure about the different size on those it could be the compression or something
>>
>>294863
Sorry for not replying for so long. Thanks for the link, after watching it and asking some nice people on steam about the problem, it seems you're right.

It all comes down to compression, so the more fancy effects (and, consequently, the more color changing pixels) my gif contains, the bigger the file size.

Thanks for your reply though, helped me a great deal!
>>
File: Cansoda.png (1B, 486x500px)
Cansoda.png
1B, 486x500px
My first attempt on doing anything related to graphic design.

I had no idea on how to create something like this in Illustrator, so I painted it in Photoshop..

What can I improve?
It kinda looks.. "not-logo-ish"..
>>
>>294911
you need to clean up those edges mate
it's not a terrible idea but try and make it more refined and defined
>>
File: comp1.jpg (1B, 486x500px)
comp1.jpg
1B, 486x500px
>>294914
i don't think that's necessarily a good advice anon he should start by researching what kind of message he want to communicate with his logo and at least make some sketches on paper before getting into the computer.
>>294911
here's some things i didn't like:about your design the type is way too small compared to the logo (however extreme constrast is good in some cases) and the kerning is messed up as well, the small circles don't really serve any purpose that i could think of and i have no idea what's the logo suppose to be aside from the letter C.
>>
>>294918
Uhm, I wanted the whole thing to look like a soda can.
As you said, there is the letter C and inside of it you can find the letter A as the tab on top of the whole hole of the can. The letter N is obvious.

The little circles are supposed to indicate some kind of sprinkled-soda-shit-bubbles.

But I am grateful for the advice, though!
>>
>>294914
>more refined and defined

I guess, I have to watch some tutorials..

Thank you, anyways.
>>
File: Cansoda.png (1B, 486x500px)
Cansoda.png
1B, 486x500px
>>294911
Okay. I need to rest now.
Hope this is better now.
>>
File: Somethign4.png (1B, 486x500px)
Somethign4.png
1B, 486x500px
Logo I made for a game company
>>
thing i made for my friends hip hop song. The hook is "stay at home and dab" so yeah. did it for free because he is my dude. Its now him profile pic on IG and wants to get shirts/hoodies made with this on there
>>
something else im making for my other friend's hiphop group. They ahvent decided on a name yet, but im just messing around with what name they have temporarily decided and screwing around with colors
>>
>>294934
I like the concept but it needs work. It took me a while to get what it was supposed to look like. Maybe make the "top" part of the soda (the big C) a metallic colour like real cans do.
>>
tfw not creative
wat do
>>
>>294934
You could change the whole C to the light grey and the N all in black. Also, the A being different color than the black spot underneath it makes it look as if you forgot to match colors.
>>
File: alaskalpg.png (1B, 486x500px)
alaskalpg.png
1B, 486x500px
im no good
>>
>>295042
consume more design. dribbble / behance / designspiration / IRL. the more you consume and are inspired, the more you'll absorb creativity.

then your next problem will be executing your ideas ;)
>>
>>295076
t-thx
but how does one go on about doing that
the /gd/ wiki is pretty awful desu
>>
>>295077
go on the websites
check the projects
see what you like
see what you don't like
ask yourself why
>>
>>292148
i dont think thats good symbolism - propane setting nature on fire

nice style anyway
>>
>>295075
i likethe thin font. maybe something not as sharp or uniform on the edges of the type?
>>
>>295080

Hah, yes that was brought up earlier and you are both correct, that was an ill taken path.
>>
File: final1000.png (1B, 486x500px)
final1000.png
1B, 486x500px
I done a thing

bit of background: one-lady business run out of her home, very personable very friendly service for dreadlock creation and maintenance as well as some clothing.
>>
File: flats.png (1B, 486x500px)
flats.png
1B, 486x500px
>>295154
and flat/bw versions
>>
>>295154
I'd be tempted to lose the yellow/orange gradient but on the whole pretty cool op, it definitely takes me to a dreadlock/caribbean/stoner inspired place.
Having said that, could the outer circle be a bit rougher, perhaps with a break in it? Consider trying one of the artistic illustrator brushes, this might integrate it better with the organic feel of the type.
>>
>>295165
you are definitely right, thats the only crisp edge in the whole image and it shouldnt be there
tyvm
>>
File: neo-noir house.png (1B, 486x500px)
neo-noir house.png
1B, 486x500px
I'm absolutely an amatuer, having only been doing this a few months, but It's starting to get to the point where don't know where to go to get better, you know? I keep making things and trying different strokes and discover something new every few projects, but other than that I just don't know where to go to get better/what needs improved. on a side note, I'm trying to make this look like a neo-noire scene, like in Hotline Miami or Drive. I was gonna have the windows be different neon colors, but that ends up looking poor, any help?
>>
File: 75B-3.png (1B, 486x500px)
75B-3.png
1B, 486x500px
I just did this simple thing, like it was some rebel propaganda. What do you think?
>>
>>295323
doesnt really look like Princess Organa. try not to use live trace and make the shapes yourself
>>
>>295189
Just look at more art and see what others are doing that you would LIKE to do.
>>
File: DnTsm500.png (1B, 486x500px)
DnTsm500.png
1B, 486x500px
>>295169
did it, much better.
>>
File: ichisheet.jpg (1B, 486x500px)
ichisheet.jpg
1B, 486x500px
Thinking of starting a insta/blog or whatever to showcase a different Kanji every couple of days, sort of half educational, half illustrative. Which of these would you say is easiest on the eye if you had to pick? If none then why? Thanks
>>
>>295323
This is so so bad hahahaha
>>
>>295514
Top right is the most visually appealing. I do like your color palette on the bottom left, however. Perhaps Incorporate the both in some manner
>>
>>295527
Thanks for the feedback, will do what you suggested and see how it looks.
>>
>>295450
Got it. Thanks!
>>
>>292212
oh my god that font is disgusting
>>
File: testno1.png (1B, 486x500px)
testno1.png
1B, 486x500px
Thread kind of dead (?)
But what do you guys think of this?
>>
>>296380
is this a joke?
>>
This is the cover of an invitation for a wedding anniversary.
It'll probably be printed from an office printer, so there're limitations to quality and colour.
I wanted to keep it clean and crisp but yet festive.

Please let me know what you think.
(I'm especially unhappy about the "&" in Carlsen, but I'm not sure how to arrange it otherwise)
>>
>>296429
I don't like it at all man, sorry. Looks like it can't decide if it's classic or modern. Those diamond shine marks are so faddish. It also looks really unbalanced, why is there so much white space underneath?
>>
>>296430
>Those diamond shine marks are so faddish
do you think they should just be rearranged or completly removed?

>why is there so much white space underneath?
forgot to mention that. they wanted to decide on a fitting quote to put at the bottom.
Maybe i should've put a lorem ipsum there meanwhile.
>>
File: bumble logo.png (1B, 486x500px)
bumble logo.png
1B, 486x500px
embarassed to post this here
I'm not very good with photoshop but can you please tell me what would look good as a background color for this if im putting it on something that cant be just transparent?
would I add lines or something to outline it?
judge it away
>>
>>296435
my graphics design friend got on to me, told me to use illustrator next time, make the colors harder but mute
>>
>>296435
uh..what is that even supposed to be?
if you're having a hard time choosing a fitting colour, you can try using Color CC (previously Kuler)
>>
>>296438
>sorry
>>
File: bumble logo2.png (1B, 486x500px)
bumble logo2.png
1B, 486x500px
>>296439
Also what the fuck how do I "mute" a color in photoshop I feel handicapped
>>
>>296440
relax man you're trying to do something without knowing the tools yet.
>>
>>296429
hopefully a bit more balanced
>>
>>294775
>>294381 is better; the flat colour is much more pleasing and the design has a cleaner overall feel
Remove the whole text or simply "pizzeria" and it's something I would actually quite like to wear.
Also the flame detail in V3 looks like you copied it straight from "fat kid wearing shirt in 2001 with flames around the hem"
>>
>>296447

I know you are going for a "luxury" style esque kinda thing, well, I feel the design is kinda cheap luxury, if you understand what i mean.

First of all, i would just stay away from champagne and limousines. It's a free font (doesnt mean its bad) but this one is. It looks cheap, and for me, takes more away from the luxury feeling than add to it - it gives me more art deco feeling actually (if you're going for this, there are better art deco feeling fonts that look better. Maybe try with something like Futura? And maybe all caps.

The font you have for the Carlsen and 60 is not bad imo. It adds to the art-deco feeling, but if you were not going for this, maybe try Adobe caslon or something alike without the strokey fill thingy. I dont know

>It'll probably be printed from an office printer, so there're limitations to quality and colour.

Then i would recommend you to stay away from opacitied down content, at least with that color. It would both look faded and just not as good on screen as when you get it in your hand.

Get a couple of pre-prints and just see how it looks before you start mass-printing it. What you get out of shitty printers is very different from what you have on this site.

Also it's very top heavy. Unless there is gonna be more text at the bottom, maybe re-arrange some of the elements to make it more balanced. It also feels a bit big? I feel you could probably add a bit of luxury with scaling everything down.

I don't know, at a graphic designer standpoint, It's not very good imo, sorry. But if this is for some random aniversary party i guess it will do, they don't really expect much.
>>
>>296451
Thanks for taking your time to examinde this.

>I feel the design is kinda cheap luxury, if you understand what i mean
I don't really, it's not like it's cheesy or overloaded what would qualify as cheap.
Maybe it's a bit too plain to be elegant if that's what you mean.

I'll look for a substitute for C&L, you're absolutely right there.

>It also feels a bit big? I feel you could probably add a bit of luxury with scaling everything down.
That's an interesting point too, I'll give it a try.

>I don't know, at a graphic designer standpoint, It's not very good imo, sorry.
That's pretty discouraging.
I thought i did a half-decent job at least.
>But if this is for some random aniversary party i guess it will do, they don't really expect much.
Maybe. But still, I'd like to make a good job.
Even if it ends up being printed on 80g paper.

Thanks again.
>>
yesy
>>
>>296429
This is a train wreck.
>>
>>296435
>>296439
>>296440
What the hell is happening
>>
>>296459
me making something to use as a logo/icon
>>
>>296429
>>296458
It ain't THAT bad. To us lot who are all about design and super critical and extra harsh of course it's all over the place—but to your average bloke they'll probably be impressed if anything. Good colours, nothing too out of place.

I think it's fine OP. Their opinion is the only one that matters. When the event is over, come back here and get crit to make it better.
>>
Might as well post some changes i guess.
>>
File: cover2.png (1B, 486x500px)
cover2.png
1B, 486x500px
Please critique the cover for my antiwar pamphlet
>>
the major difference in type size is due to the 5.5x3.5in format and meant to look similar to the pamphlets of the golden age of pamphleteering
>>
File: bumble logo3.png (1B, 486x500px)
bumble logo3.png
1B, 486x500px
>>296435
update/probably final
>>
>>296733
>>296440
>>296439
>>296435
Get off this board, you autist.
>>
>>296742
can you critique this?
>>
File: autist.jpg (1B, 486x500px)
autist.jpg
1B, 486x500px
>>296742
wouldnt the autist be someone who sperged out randomly?
>i dont like it make it go away
>>
>>296746
>randomly

What are you implying? The thing that that guy posts looks like some furry fetish crap
>>
>>296751
>somewhat minimal icon/logo of head with no facial features
>fetishized
are you okay
>>
File: haha.png (1B, 486x500px)
haha.png
1B, 486x500px
>>296754
ok m8
>>
File: Girls.png (1B, 486x500px)
Girls.png
1B, 486x500px
>>296756
I'm just saying
>>
>>296733
I dont like the eye, it isnt clear enough
>>
File: bumble logo5.png (1B, 486x500px)
bumble logo5.png
1B, 486x500px
>>296777
Sorry! I can adjust it so its more clear, because thats not an eye, its a symbol under where his eye goes, sort of like the markings under the eye of horus
the reason i kept it is because I planned to use it for another logo
in case this one was too detailed, on smaller icons id use the logo of the eye symbol, but I think i might need to stylize it differently
>>
File: Capture.png (1B, 486x500px)
Capture.png
1B, 486x500px
>>296792
Original marking, I'm not sure what the best way to stylize it would be. This is refference point
>>
>>296705
Perfect.
>>
>>296804
really? thx :)
>>
>>296792
Is that a sergal?
>>
>>296811
It is yeah
>>
File: bumble banner.png (1B, 486x500px)
bumble banner.png
1B, 486x500px
>>296792
>>296777

not gonna bother putting placeholder text
this banner paired with the picture should clear up any confusion about the "eye" maybe?
I really should go "get" illustrator....
>>
>>296859
>>296794
>>296792

You're a weird little guy pal
>>
>>296490
Geil
>>
File: mockUp.png (1B, 486x500px)
mockUp.png
1B, 486x500px
Doing some mock-ups for facebook ads/book cover.

Thoughts, comments, critique?
>>
>>295514

Not sure if you are still lurking this thread anon.

I do Japanese Kanji lessons based on etymology and I have been thinking about making an app for Hiragana/Katakana based on mnemonics used for Japanese children.

Would you be interested in a collaboration.

This is my patreon. https://www.patreon.com/learnkanjibyetymology

You can contact me through that if you are interested.
>>
>>297801
looks a bit amateur-ish imho, no grids nor layout, a random text bubble, names are not even aligned, font choise and color palette could be better.

is it for a visual novel or something printed? if it is i would try using a book mockup just for showing off the final printed version
>>
>>297804

I threw it together quickly just to see if it would work.

Is the general composition okay, or should I come up with something else?

It's a facebook ad.
>>
File: Attack.jpg (1B, 486x500px)
Attack.jpg
1B, 486x500px
I'm really new to /gd/
>>
>>297827
this is really cool, how'd you make go about making the crayon on cardboard effect?
>>
>>297913
Thanks man, just a rough brush in photos hop and an overlay of a textured from the Internet
>>
>>297925
*photoshop
*texture
It's too early
>>
File: mockUp2.png (1B, 486x500px)
mockUp2.png
1B, 486x500px
Still working on some designs for my book cover/ads.

I'm not a graphic designer, but any help/critique would be greatly appreciated.
>>
>>298007
I would advise to ake the credits more vissible, to ditch the outer glow, and to change the color of the kickstarter basge (maybe make it pink to match the cloud or just black. Composition needs work too. I won't get into specifics but I feel like text all together in the left and illustration on the right would look ok
The graphic on the bottom right corner doesn't ad too much, either
>>
>>292698
>a while back
at kindergarten?
>>
File: cardinal.png (1B, 486x500px)
cardinal.png
1B, 486x500px
>>
File: mockUp3.png (1B, 486x500px)
mockUp3.png
1B, 486x500px
>>298032

BG has to be white for genre reasons. Illustration also needs a glow because artist doesn't have one with a transparent background.

I can't tell if they are getting better or worse.
>>
File: mockUp4.png (1B, 486x500px)
mockUp4.png
1B, 486x500px
>>298032

Second one, considering your feedback.
>>
File: mockUp5.png (1B, 486x500px)
mockUp5.png
1B, 486x500px
>>298032

And another one.
>>
File: Skull logo.jpg (1B, 486x500px)
Skull logo.jpg
1B, 486x500px
Thoughts? just started messing around in Photoshop. came up with this.Inspired off other logos i saw online.
>>
File: wolf.jpg (1B, 486x500px)
wolf.jpg
1B, 486x500px
>>296792
My take on it, idk what you think?
>>
>>294911
Those edges are triggering me so hard
>>
>>298154
Is this 2009 YouTube?
Out of date but it would have been considered "vereh nais " back then
>>
>>294934
Return the A to its previous state, don't emphasize it because then it looks mentally deficient. Make the N an S (*C*an*S*oda). Because cans are vertical, your N looks more like a Z to me. I don't believe it's actually your first attempt at Photoshop btw, I think you're just looking for attention
>>
File: Annual Report.pdf (1B, 486x500px)
Annual Report.pdf
1B, 486x500px
Just looking for a final crit before I turn this in for class.

Basically, we have to do an annual report for a company of our choice.
We had to have 6 pages (or spreads), plus front and back cover. We could pretty much do anything as far as what pages, and text. The information doesn't even need to be accurate.

I'm turning it in soon, so I'm not really able to change much. I'd just like to hear your opinions, and things that I could have done differently.

Also, I'm not sure why, but the pdf preview has thin lines on it. I'm sure it's a visual error, as it looks fine on other computers, just not mine.
>>
>>292764
Is that a cum tribute I see on the left?
>>
>>298274
It's an arm holding a gun, just cropped out.
>>
I'm looking for someone who can model some things for me. If you think you can do it msg me. Kik : Destremcx
>>
File: durand-jones.jpg (1B, 486x500px)
durand-jones.jpg
1B, 486x500px
Flyer for the venue I work for.
>>
>>298301
perfect.
>>
File: snatcher labels.jpg (1B, 486x500px)
snatcher labels.jpg
1B, 486x500px
I'm making a soundtrack cassette for the old 80s video game Snatcher. These are the current side A/side B labels, work-in-progress.

I know they look kind of shitty, but my ability to self-critique has been sapped by the hours of pencilling in pixel after pixel and trying to get color schemes that don't make my eyes bleed. Any and all suggestions welcome.
>>
File: Game.png (1B, 486x500px)
Game.png
1B, 486x500px
Slot Machine game we just finished.
>>
File: Now_00000.png (1B, 486x500px)
Now_00000.png
1B, 486x500px
A logo for a fake rapper persona I made up.
>>
>>298301
Cant really add much, only thing I can point out is that everything is a bit close to the border.
I would set a greater margin/bleed
>>
File: UnitedStatesPNG-01.png (80KB, 838x1196px) Image search: [Google]
UnitedStatesPNG-01.png
80KB, 838x1196px
Small run of vinyl stickers I'm selling at a local con.
>>
File: mousepad.png (234KB, 1332x1098px) Image search: [Google]
mousepad.png
234KB, 1332x1098px
Hey /gd/. Not sure if I'd post this in /ic/ or here, so I'll try here first.

Do the clouds in this image look consistent?

Someone drew this image for me a while ago and I want to make it a mousepad. They only drew the upper-right section of it. I've been filling in the clouds. Is the composition alright? Do the clouds look uniform throughout?
>>
>>298398
Text doesn't follow the curve of the circle. At least that's fixable, as for the rest....
>>
>>298154
Text too flat, doesn't go with rest of the image
>>
>>298398
I don't feel any character from a logo like this. It rather speaks to me that it is some kind of healty or care product with high standards but also has something to do with fire?
>>
>>293010
I love it
>>
>>294381
>>294775
would burn/10
>>
>>298260
It's gorgeous. I wasn't aware you could upload pdfs on 4chan
>>
File: fdfdfdfdf.jpg (232KB, 1000x1000px) Image search: [Google]
fdfdfdfdf.jpg
232KB, 1000x1000px
one I did for a local producer, never tried this style before so any crit is much appreciated
>>
File: Paul Trillo - Salience.jpg (86KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
Paul Trillo - Salience.jpg
86KB, 1280x720px
>>299661
cool but a little too boring reminds me of this
https://vimeo.com/73214621
>>
>>299662
Yeah he wanted something simplistic but idk
>>
File: Frauke Petry.png (561KB, 620x641px) Image search: [Google]
Frauke Petry.png
561KB, 620x641px
>>291929
YO! Would you guys mind critiquing my captions? They're pretty bad.
>>
File: Frauke Petry 22.png (1MB, 800x812px) Image search: [Google]
Frauke Petry 22.png
1MB, 800x812px
>>299784
>>
File: Frauke Petry 33.png (539KB, 709x528px) Image search: [Google]
Frauke Petry 33.png
539KB, 709x528px
>>299785
>>
File: EKD2.png (839KB, 915x696px) Image search: [Google]
EKD2.png
839KB, 915x696px
>>299786
>>
File: Doctoral Degree 2.png (97KB, 546x702px) Image search: [Google]
Doctoral Degree 2.png
97KB, 546x702px
>>299787
>>
File: German.png (1MB, 1448x1296px) Image search: [Google]
German.png
1MB, 1448x1296px
>>299788
>>
>>299789
Oh God! Is there anyone here? Am I the last man on /gd/?
>>
>>299784
>>299785
>>299786
>>299787
>>299788
>>299789
>>299790
is this a joke or some sort of high-concept art?
>>
>>299792
Nah, nothing like that. I'm just trying to create memes for AfD in Germany. I lack humor, so I figured I could try to incorporate the positive aspects of Frauke Petry and Germany. Efficiency, honor, work, religion, education, and tradition.
>>
>>299795
>I lack humor
>Germany
Yep, it checks out.
>>
File: Screenshot (25).png (155KB, 821x876px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot (25).png
155KB, 821x876px
I'm messing around with minimalist styles. I'm not sure how i'm doing. Is this to detailed? Not detailed enough? Is it at all appealing?
>>
>>299661
I Like this, its really mellow. Feels like it would be on a phone case or something though. Also there's a little bubble bit on the bottom bit that looks out of place, doesn't match the same shape as the top. What is the producer using it for?
>>
>>299842
it looks good mostly. I like the third one the most. However.
>that green to white gradient on top looks weird in combination with clouds
>birds and boat shape is kinda ugly
>sun outer glow does not fit in with the rest
>>
File: this thing.jpg (52KB, 821x300px) Image search: [Google]
this thing.jpg
52KB, 821x300px
>>299842

I like it with out the shitty sun. Much better. Edited to show how fucking better I am than you.
>>
>>299877
Yeah I like yours better too but... chill the fuck out
>>
File: Screenshot (26).png (259KB, 833x895px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot (26).png
259KB, 833x895px
>>299852
thank you. Does this work better? I like the boat though..
>>299877
Ouch. I'm mean thanks but ouch. Literally the first ever thing I've done like this. I hope one day I just "get it" Like you think you do.
>>
Cover for antiwar pamphlet. Only the white area will be printed. Please crit.

is it too direct? is it too simple?

In response to https://www.congress.gov/bill/115th-congress/house-joint-resolution/10/text
>>
>>299842

I like them but i wouldnt put stuff in the sky.
>>
>>299789
haha good one
>>
If an activist was handing these out on the street would you think he was a crackpot, or would you read it??
>>
File: amethyst_3_preview.jpg (3MB, 2040x2886px) Image search: [Google]
amethyst_3_preview.jpg
3MB, 2040x2886px
It's a cover for a "fantasy book about a dragon princess". Haven't read it just designing.
>>
File: squad_1_preview.jpg (3MB, 2040x2886px) Image search: [Google]
squad_1_preview.jpg
3MB, 2040x2886px
Another book. Action adventure set in the future in dome cities. What's wrong with it?
>>
File: ARTpopp.jpg (323KB, 1500x1500px) Image search: [Google]
ARTpopp.jpg
323KB, 1500x1500px
I'm going for an artpop aesthetic. Thoughts?
>>
>>300032
>>300036

Use blue instead of red. Red shows that you should, while blue shows that you shouldn't.
>>
>>300074
Looks like a cage instead of a dome. If hannibal is the savior, make it more pronounced. The letters aren't big enough, too much empty space.

>>300073
Man, but the name of the authors underneath the title. Show more of the eye
>>
File: octomerged.png (1MB, 3000x1200px) Image search: [Google]
octomerged.png
1MB, 3000x1200px
I'm starting to try out the 'digital' type of aesthetic, thoughts? I did a bad job on removing the tentacle that was in front of the base though, you can see a bit of it.
>>
>>300073
The A of "Amethyst" is barely readable. So is "An". Other than that I like it.
>>
File: filmoldal.png (460KB, 1366x638px) Image search: [Google]
filmoldal.png
460KB, 1366x638px
Working on my own movie streaming site.
[if anybody knows a good wordpress theme for this I'd be grateful if you could link me, could save much time]
>>
>>300224
Reminds me Soma for some fucking reason
>>
>>300359
Color scheme is generic
>>
>>300359
>custom design
>pre-made wordpress theme

>>300840
Nothing wrong with generic
>>
>>299166
No.
Thread posts: 275
Thread images: 120

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.