[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Should I major in graphic design? Is that a good idea right now?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 3

File: hmmm.png (53KB, 256x256px) Image search: [Google]
hmmm.png
53KB, 256x256px
Should I major in graphic design? Is that a good idea right now?
>>
No. Go self taught
>>
File: 2534534568.jpg (10KB, 136x116px) Image search: [Google]
2534534568.jpg
10KB, 136x116px
>>291673
No. Go self taught and major in engineering.
>>
>>291672
No. Learn with us.
https://discord.gg/2cg2PrQ
>>
I just finished my degree,

I majored in graphic design, major in web dev, an minor in advertising.

I'd say most of the skills you learn can be learned online cheaper and sometimes free. That being said, learning through a school teaches you most of the things you wouldn't think to learn thats all part of the job. IE understanding printers, learning how to make correct client paraphernalia , typography etc etc.

the problem with learning online is there is much more to graphic design than making cool logos; but if you do choose to major in it, choose a minor that gives you some business savvy to make you more employable.
>>
>>291688
Fuck your fuckung discord you shill
>>
>>291672
I did, and I'm glad I did. My second job required it. I was there nearly 3 years but the place shut down the in-house design and sourced a different location. Next job didn't require it but I almost didn't get hired because the owner mistakenly thought I didn't have the degree and said he's really just looking for someone with a degree for the graphics position. I showed him mine. Been there almost 1 year now.

My tech school GD courses were very rewarding to me. You never know where you might end up in this field. They force you to learn (and sometimes become quite good in) many areas you probably wouldn't ever touch. First job I got was in magazine photography. If not for my photography class, I would not have touched that area. I may never use the knowledge I gained from the audio, video, web, or 3D classes but being made to do them has made me far more knowledgeable in a variety of media. Self taught people tend to only stick to the one or two areas they are directly interested in, which unfortunately keeps them unexposed to other potential areas of expertise they may have enjoyed and been even better in. I was sure I was headed for web design/code. Photography course took me another way. In my current and previous job (print) I apply my vector software (CorelDRAW and Illustrator) and Photoshop skills almost exclusively. Previous job required InDesign skills and I walked in with it thanks to my degree.

If you are able to get the degree without a lot of trouble and hardship, GET IT. That is my honest and experienced advice.

Also, this guy knows whats up: >>291702
>>
It's a horrible idea and you will die in the lower middle class unless you are unbelievable talented.
>>
>>291672

20 years ago this would be a plus...

DO NOT MAJOR IN GRAPHIC DESIGN there are are only freelance and offside jobs to improve your visual shit-skill.

better off no college debt.

skill or nothing. the end.

get me, fuckers.
>>
>>291774
his broken english is prophetic
>>
OP, NEVER listen to this shit in this kind of post:

>>291768
>>291774

Listen to these:

>>291742
>>291702

For your own sake. And good luck to you, man.
>>
Yes. do what you love. I started majoring in graphic design but had second thoughts and got a degree in marketing. I worked in marketing for half a year and hated it. Now I work in screen printing using the graphic design skills I have attained in school/free time. there are a lot of jobs/industries out there that require the skillset of a graphic designer. If you have an idea of an industry/job you want to end up in, then look into that industry and try to get an internship in it.
>>
If you do, I'd recommend picking up a minor. Communications, journalism, business, something like that. Maybe a computer science type minor if your school has those. It'll make you immensely more hirable.
>>
>>292084
Oh, also try to learn some form of web design/development. It'll make you want to kill yourself but a small portfolio of tiny sites makes you more hirable. Not too hard to pick up.

The meme that graphic designers/webdevs don't make money comes from idiots that do freelance 24/7. Being a wage cuck is lame but you actually get money, and people do want to hire designers/webdevs. Freelance rarely makes you $, but a job will
>>
Boys, you all are talking about going in graphic design as an employee.

But what if I had enough investment capital, and a high enough credit score to fund my own small shop. And 2 years experience working for a shitty company. Would that be worth it?
>>
>>292086
What do you mean by saying freelance rarely makes $?
>>
>>293025
He means he doesn't understand how to market himself, how to set prices, or the business of design in general, so he (and most people) rely on being employed so businesses can handle all that pressure.

Nothing wrong with being employed, but you can definitely make hella bucks doing freelance.
>>
I dunno, it's definitely great for networking but I'm doing this for a living as someone with a a completely unrelated degree because I met the right person. I don't think a minor is helpful, it's kind of embarrassing to put that on your resume unless you're still in college. Take javascript classes and art classes and major in marketing.
>>
If you're passionate about graphic design or related field such as photography --- go for it! Follow your bliss. As the old saying goes --- if you do what you love you'll never work a day in your life. However, think twice before incurring massive student debt. It will crush you. It's not fair that schools get away with charging so much but they do. If you're passionate about graphic design, photography, or any type of fine art, most likely you'll have some natural talent, and so just immerse yourself in it and read everything you can about composition, typography, color theory, etc. Then learn Photoshop, InDesign, and Illustrator because these are your basic tools. (Unfortunately Adobe has a monopoly on the market so until there's something else as an alternative choice, we're stuck with it.)
Here's the problem with being a graphic designer or photographer today --- many clients don't value real craft and talent, because of all of the super cheap alternatives like websites that offer logos for 99 cents, fiver, etc. It has really hurt the industry and professional designers. The same goes for photography --- since everyone has a camera on their phone, and stock photo sites offer bundles for super cheap, it has hurt the industry, not to mention that most editorial magazines pay very little ($75 per photo) AND want to own your rights. It's really fucked up to say the least.
I've been fortunate to work on my own as a graphic designer for over twenty years, and have only worked with cool clients, nice people who contribute to our cultural society, instead of greedy corporations that only care about their bottom line. I made that choice years ago and have been happy that I did.
Whatever you choose as a profession, make sure it's your choice and not your parents or anybody else's desire for you to pursue. Follow your own dream and everything will open up for you. But just really be careful about taking on big student debt. Requiem for The American Dream addresses this.
>>
>>292108
No.
>>
art? not smart
>>
>>291672
No. I've done it and i can say there are too many graphic designers out there. Low income ans no jobs. Also there are too many guys that call themself graphic designers, just because they've seen a photoshop tutorial. They don't know shit about printing and and the business side of the job. They are ruining the market with extreme low prices. I'm speaking for the german market, but i think it's everywhere the same. Now i'm just doing it as a hobby sidejob and working fulltime at an it business.

Tl;dr: go for another better payed job and do it as a hobby.
>>
File: 13940140931679.png (31KB, 1366x768px) Image search: [Google]
13940140931679.png
31KB, 1366x768px
>>291687
That's what I'm doing. Making money doing odd jobs for small businesses and learning how to build the world
>>
>>291687
literally me
Thread posts: 24
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.