[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Does anyone else find this logo incredibly ugly? At first glance

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 8

File: 1477006541803.jpg (453KB, 1352x1040px) Image search: [Google]
1477006541803.jpg
453KB, 1352x1040px
Does anyone else find this logo incredibly ugly? At first glance it resembles dominoes or a boardgame die, but the asymmetry is bothering me. While the actual controllers are well balanced on each side, the logo representing them is not, and with the full huge in-your-face placement on the controller and dock it's that much more obnoxious. Most devices settle for the icon or text logos only.
>>
File: switch.png (19KB, 844x448px) Image search: [Google]
switch.png
19KB, 844x448px
>>287346
whoever designed it should be beheaded
>>
File: switched.png (14KB, 844x448px) Image search: [Google]
switched.png
14KB, 844x448px
>>287348
I edited the proportions a bit, could be slightly better
>>
>>287348
>circle radii are different too
Oh hell make it stop
>>
File: youneverknow.png (555KB, 996x702px) Image search: [Google]
youneverknow.png
555KB, 996x702px
>>287348
>>287349
>>287357
Psst guys.
It's called "optical balance".

Look it up. Could be handy sometime.

>http://fr.slideshare.net/kmalkani/design-principles-15282296
>>
>>287408
That doesn't work in this case imo. The middle line isn't centered and the right side is visibly smaller than the left, I noticed it almost immediately. It looks like ass, and would be so improved if both sides were just symmetrical
>>
File: nintendwitch.jpg (105KB, 836x316px) Image search: [Google]
nintendwitch.jpg
105KB, 836x316px
>>287412
Maybe this will make you come to your sense
>>
>>287417
well fuck me

then I think the best solution would be to find a nice middle ground between the two, because I still think the original is unbalanced, but so does your symmetrical version
>>
>>287418
You're right, there's no denying they fucked up the balance.
But symmetry isn't the answer to every design problem.
That's why it's called 'commercial art' not 'commercial science'.
>>
>>287423
>But symmetry isn't the answer to every design problem.
Yeah I understand that but it feels like for this, it might be the best solution. The controllers are symmetrical on the system, why shouldn't the logo be? And the original just looks like its unintentionally weighted too much on the left and imo isn't very pleasant to look at.
>>
>>287348
>>287349
>>287357
>>287412
>>287418
>>287433

you guys don't know wtf you're talking about.
it is fundamentally a great logo for the following reasons:
-it is a strong, unique, form
-it has context
-it relates to the concept, of movement and rearrangement, hence the slight assymetry within the symmetry, it related almost directly to the functionality and product design
-it works great for on-screen/web motion graphics and animations

so I don't know what school you went to or what you know or how good your work is, but your opinion is baseless, arbitrary and shit.
>>
File: Untitled-4.png (24KB, 1063x1063px) Image search: [Google]
Untitled-4.png
24KB, 1063x1063px
Symmetrical version I made
>>
>>287554

THIS.

I also like the subtle ying and yang symbolism. Seems very appropriate.

>>287562
Yea but optically your version doesn't actually look symmetrical does it? Because of the stroke, the left segment always appears to be smaller so it makes perfect since that they compensated for that by making the left side slightly wider than the right.

Honestly this thread is full of fucking morons. Sometimes I really despair at the state of this board.
>>
>>287650
I agree this is the best logo they could come up.

But I still dislike the logo, and also the design of the console.
>>
>>287650
This.

The stroke of the left half really ruined the optical balance.
>>
File: 1477025979029.jpg (76KB, 1268x398px) Image search: [Google]
1477025979029.jpg
76KB, 1268x398px
>>287650
The original while trying to balance appears wider on the left (and is), while these edits appear wider on the right. There is no real winning either way.
However, the actual controller has white legends on the buttons on the right and a few other slightly weighted differences, so perhaps using the symmetrical version of the logo with the weight also on the right would make more sense out of the two. At least then unbalance can be shrugged off to mere optical illusion and not questionable dimensions.

A ying yang does have nice opposites, but having the right joystick in the vertical middle instead of the corner, despite paralleling its real life placement, it gets thrown off a second time in addition to the unbalance above.

Since all the other elements have been excluded it no longer quickly resembles controllers but instead an odd mash of a few shapes. Sure it's bold, not overly complex, and can have motion added, but as it's going to be seen the most alongside two particular competitors in stores and on other static ads, I find it lacking. The other two have been around long enough be easily recognized as representing video games and the appearance of letters alone connects to their respective names. So along with the ambiguous name and dull type Nintendo doesn't have much going for them.
>>
>>287562
gross
>>
>>287562
Looks like shit. Is it really that hard to comprehend that a filled object has more weight to it than an empty object?
Thread posts: 18
Thread images: 8

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.